Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WILDCARD!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo...

...I installed my strut king pedals this past weekend. Dead pedal, brake and gas all went fine, but the clutch was an issue. I was having trouble with the drill wandering off, so I taped the pedal cover onto the clutch and drilled through the holes. The bottom hole and and the top left hole are mostly okay (I think), but apparently the drill still wandered up a ways on the top right hole, so that one is higher than it needs to be.

It seems that the drill (fortunately?) bit into the pedal cover a bit as well and enlarged the screw hole upwards, so I was still able to install the pedal cover and it looks mostly okay. I'm a a perfectionist, though, so knowing what's back there bothers me. :(

Is there any way to repair small holes in metal to the point where I could re-drill? There's welding, of course, but I can't weld and I don't even know where I'd go to have that done. JB Weld maybe? I have no experience with it.

I really wish I have seen Spaz's Type-R pedal DIY before I attempted this. I would have gotten myself a center punch and a smaller bit to drill pilot holes...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just did mines like a week ago, I marked my holes with a white sharpie using the pedal as the template, drilled all the holes thru slowly, and used some stainless steel rivets for a factory look, can't tell they came on the car or not.

·
WILDCARD!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did mines like a week ago, I marked my holes with a white sharpie using the pedal as the template, drilled all the holes thru slowly, and used some stainless steel rivets for a factory look, can't tell they came on the car or not.
Yeah, I did the same thing. Marked my holes with a metallic-colored Sharpie. Thought I was all prepared but the drill kept walking to the side, so then I taped the covers to the pedals in an effort to keep the drill on track, but it didn't work so well.

I noticed that you can get full pedal assemblies on Ebay for fairly cheap, but I'm guessing that the dashboard would have to come out to be able to get the bolts needed to remove the pedals from the car? Guess I'll just have to live with it...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Buy a new clutch pedal on ebay and use a center punch next time :thumbsup:

I have used that JB quick steel stuff before repairing curb rash on wheels and after sanding and paint you couldn't tell a difference. I'm not sure if that would work for what you're trying to do though. I feel like that would still be the weakest spot on the pedal and the drill bit would still want to go through that same spot.

·
WILDCARD!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy a new clutch pedal on ebay and use a center punch next time :thumbsup:
I mean, ideally, yeah. You can get the whole clutch/brake assembly for fairly cheap used. My question on that, though...does the dashboard need to come out to get access to the bolts that hold the pedals in? I was under the dash looking up at all of that, and it looks pretty impossible without removing the dash.

It would be great if I could just grab a new assembly, put the whole thing in a vice, center punch the holes and then drill it out perfectly. If I could do that, I would probably just order a new pedal cover as well.

I have used that JB quick steel stuff before repairing curb rash on wheels and after sanding and paint you couldn't tell a difference. I'm not sure if that would work for what you're trying to do though. I feel like that would still be the weakest spot on the pedal and the drill bit would still want to go through that same spot.
Thanks for the input. I feel like it might be worth a try. That top right hole is honestly really far off from where it should be. I feel like if I center punched it and then drilled a pilot hole before drilling the actual hole, it might be viable.

Let me know if you have any experience with removing the pedal assemblies.

·
WILDCARD!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did end up grabbing the entire assembly (clutch, brake & gas) on Ebay for $40. Figured that was a no-brainer and I can always just resell it if I can fix my current pedal to my satisfaction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts