Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Looking for 300 WHP
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who else has heard of this brand of engine management? I am about to drop in a PRS8 Standalone unit from Perfect Power myself as soon as it gets shipped back here from South Africa (about a week). I'm gonna have to create a map from scratch. Me being a novice tuner, I'm gonna of course have lots of help from one of the US distributors of Perfect Power hardware ( http://www.modernperformanceinc.com ) in setting this up on my car. Here is the website to the world wide Perfect Power headquarters in Johanesburg, South Africa: http://www.perfectpower.com

Here are some of the specs of the PRS8 and what it can do:

The top of the range engine management system with the following features:

2 maps, each 765 sites.
In 4, 6, 8 cylinders applications
Up to 10 000 rpm at 8 cylinders
8 built-in injector drivers up to 6A
Idle control and driver for a 2 wire idle motor
CAM switching and driver
Fuel pump activation
Lambda close loop control<------This makes it like the AEM, but for less! Automatic adjustment A/F!
Throttle and rpm calibration: chose your own sites
Temperature and manifold pressure calibration to any external device
Retards and advances from a base point
Easy to tune
Wasted spark on normal ignition
2 trigger inputs, level settable, polarity adjustment
Boost control or fan control
RPM and boost fuel limit
Max boost and rpm recording
Alarm output
Turbo lag compensation option
Fuel pressure adjustment
Acoustic warning
DOS and Windows tuning

Assignable Functions:

Water pump activation and set point.
Extra boost injection activation.
Fan control output <----------------------_Gotta do one or the other!
Boost control output <--------------------
2/3 wire idle motor output
Nitrous Activation
Camm switching output

·
Looking for 300 WHP
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Looking for 300 WHP
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few screenshots of the software of the PRS Standalones

Fuel:

Ignition

O2 A/F tuning

·
Wouldn't you like to know
1,852 Posts
now lemme ask you this ... because you have a piggy back chip are you going to take all the information from your stock ecu and put it onto the PRS8 then work your way from there ? or are you doing everything from scratch ? and if you are transfering info from one to the other which scan tool are you using ? are you plugging like a laptop into the 16 pin ?

·
ILikeFastCars&FastWomen
733 Posts
It looks like it doesn't have the ability to control cam timing (0-50degrees), am I right?

·
Wouldn't you like to know
1,852 Posts
i dont think so but i kinda see where he is going with this because ive been looking into piggy back systems/chips ... for personal reasons ! and i know their is a limit as to what you can do .... im just trying to figure out what his plan is and what he is using to tune !! im guessing its off a laptop provided to him or with a scanner and seperate head :dontknow: either way good luck to him ! i def want to hear the details about this when all is said and done !

·
Looking for 300 WHP
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RsXGoDDeSS said:
now lemme ask you this ... because you have a piggy back chip are you going to take all the information from your stock ecu and put it onto the PRS8 then work your way from there ? or are you doing everything from scratch ? and if you are transfering info from one to the other which scan tool are you using ? are you plugging like a laptop into the 16 pin ?
No, I don't have the means to hook into my ECU like the Honda guys do. The stock ECU is coded, and notriously difficult to crack. I will be doing my own scratch maps with help from a prominent tuner in New Jersey. I am using my laptop to interface to the unit.

·
Looking for 300 WHP
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JIRZLEE said:
It looks like it doesn't have the ability to control cam timing (0-50degrees), am I right?
It does control ignition timing, not just fuel. Are you speaking about something else?

·
ECU Tuner
4,287 Posts
LinuxRacr said:
It does control ignition timing, not just fuel. Are you speaking about something else?
Probably the Hondata K-Pro's ability to control the K-Series engine's cam angle from 0 to 50 degrees at every rpm/pressure cell in a table. This is key to K-Series tuning and fairly unique in the world of automotive performance enhancement.

The PRS8 seems like an interesting system, and the screens look nice. However, it seems like the PRS8 uses a serial interface which is much slower than Hondata's state-of-the-art USB hack, and I am not sure how it all pertains to RSX ECU tuning.

·
ILikeFastCars&FastWomen
733 Posts
LinuxRacr said:
Oh, sorry I didn't see that it was being used for a Mazda, so you wouldn't need the cam timing anyway. Like Conrad was saying, the Honda K series has computer controlled cam timing that can vary between 0 and 50 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts