Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Way too many cars
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious cheap crap kits, there are manufacturers that make good products that a lot of people here use.

I have religiously bought XenonDepot's Philips-Based 6000k kits for the headlights/fog lamps on my 2003 Cobra and the headlights/fogs on the 06 RSX.

I am debating on buying the same kits for my new RSX and have found a distributor who has the exact same kits XD used to sell.

My question is, other than the price difference, is there any reason why I should not buy the Philips?

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Other than the obvious cheap crap kits, there are manufacturers that make good products that a lot of people here use.

I have religiously bought XenonDepot's Philips-Based 6000k kits for the headlights/fog lamps on my 2003 Cobra and the headlights/fogs on the 06 RSX.

I am debating on buying the same kits for my new RSX and have found a distributor who has the exact same kits XD used to sell.

My question is, other than the price difference, is there any reason why I should not buy the Philips?
Well for starters they Philips/Hella ballasts are prone to leaking, which is why XD stopped selling them. Secondly, they are not terribly efficient ballasts, rather thirsty. Then as you say the price difference as well. The thing is too, it might say Philips, that doesn't mean it really is, there are lots of Hella/Philips knock-offs around these days. Ironically, the knock-offs are abot the junkiest things around.
Ultimately we stopped using the Hella/Philips ballasts years ago for the very same leaky ballast issue and went to Matsushita/Panasonic ballasts. There are kits out there that use those, Bellof for example, but Japanese labor and engineering is not cheap so it will be up there in price as well. That is if you want the best of the best I suppose. We in turn also dropped those for an after market option because we achieved the same failure/reliability for about 1/4 the price with greater efficiency ballasts and that coming from someone that was from the "OEM is best" crowd says a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts