Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I just installed my new Phillips HID ballasts with 4100K bulbs (same bulbs as used in the xenon depot kits). All I can say is that the difference between HID and halogen bulbs is like night and day! I've used several fake HID H1 bulbs (such as polarg, IPF, PIAA) and none have come close to the light intensity and colour that this HID kit has. The colour of these bulbs is a pure white light when they are running. It seems to me like the colour matches perfectly to the colour of natural daylight which is really easy on my eyes. When I pull up to a car with halogen bulbs now, it seems like their lights aren't even on! HID's just light up the road so much better.

Now, Comparing the Phillips 4100K kit to the xenon depot 6000K kit:

BRIGHTNESS:
In my oppinion, the brightness seems to be about equal between the 4K and 6K kits. I know that the 4000K kit is apparently supposed to be brighter, but when both cars were parked next to each other, from what i could tell, both sets of lights lit up the road equally. They both seemed to shine the same distance as well. I may give the edge to the 4100K bulbs because the light on the ground seemed more white tham the 6000K bulbs looked (6000K bulbs had more of a purple-white shine on the road which some might say is dimmer than the pure white, but I personally don't think so). Both bulbs were not colour coated so there was no loss of light output due to colour filtering. Determining which ones are brighter is subjective, but what I do know is that both 4K and 6K kits are WAY brighter than stock bulbs! :eek:

COLOUR:
As most of you probably know, the 4100K kit have a pure white light output and the 6000K Kit have more of a purple-white light output to them. The 4100K kit still have a bit of a purple tinge to them, but the dominant colour is the pure white colour (similar to lexus is300 colour). The 6000K kit on the other hand, the purple colour seems to dominate more giving a bright purple-white light (similar to audi colour). When the 2 are compared next to each other, the 4K kit looks slightly yellow compared to the 6K kit. By no means does the 4K kit look "yellow" like the stock halogen bulbs, but relatively speaking, it is "yellower" than the 6K bulbs. the 4K bulbs alone do not seem yellow at all. Both 4K and 6k have a brilliant blue colour to them when they are first warming up as the gas gets heated in the capsul. Overall, i think the colour goes to the 6K kit because it is more of a brilliant colour, but for long trips, I think that the 4K colour would be easier on my eyes which is why i chose it.

NOTICABILITY:
Both 4100K and 6000K are easily noticed as HID's, but in terms of being noticed more by other cars, 6000K wins hands down. The 4100K bulbs are definately noticable, but with the 6000K bulbs, you could spot them a mile away since they have more of a purple colour. Since the 4100K bulbs have more of a white look, they tend to blend in more since most of the HID-equipped cars seem to have this colour output. For people who want to be noticed, don't even think twice, get the 6K bulbs.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
Taking all these factors into consideration, it's hard to say which kit is better. For my needs, I am happy I got the 4100K, but I would also be very happy with a 6K kit. It's hard to say, it really depends on the individual. All I know is that both kits are great and either way you can't go wrong! I give both kits :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

*When viewing these pictures and videos, keep in mind that it is very hard to capture the true colour of HID on camera. This is one example of something that has to be seen in person in order to be truly appreciated. Cameras automatically adjust for brightness, colour saturation, etc. so an exact picture of the true colour is nearly impossible. However, these pictures should still give a good idea for comparative purposes.

VIDEO: 4100K starting up

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a picture of my 4100 k kit (accurate colour rendition)

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a picture of the xenon depot 6k kit (brighness amd colour are not accurate in this picture, the camera adjusted for lower light)

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is a picture of the 4100K (left) next to the 6000K (right) kit shown on a white garage.

Notice how the 4100 kit yellows in comparison to the 6000K kit, when on it's own, the 4100K kit is not yellow at all (demonstrates the relative colour differences between the two).

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another shot

LeaD_FooT said:
here is a picture of the 4100K (left) next to the 6000K (right) kit shown on a white garage.

Notice how the 4100 kit yellows in comparison to the 6000K kit, when on it's own, the 4100K kit is not yellow at all (demonstrates the relative colour differences between the two).

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
4100 HID kit - a perfect example of how improper camera settings result in totally inacurate colour representation. These bulbs look more yellow than stock with these particular settings

I have more videos but i will need somebody to host them since my attatchment quota is almost maxed out.

·
I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS!
20,225 Posts
damn those 6k look really purple :eek:

·
-------------------------
5,640 Posts
4100K are definitely the brightest, no doubt. However, in the RSX headlight they will look more yellow than the 6000K. This is because the RSX reflector doesn't have the proper shielding to block glare and yellow bands of light the way OEM hid reflectors (TL, CL, RL, etc) do.

·
...gOt boOst
1,645 Posts
6000K's !!!!

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
silver3.5 said:
where did u guys order your kits from?
12RSX15 ordered his 6000K kit from www.xenondepot.com

I ordered mine from chiller on clubrsx. I found out that my 4100K kit used the exact same bulbs and ballasts as the xenon depot kit, so basically, mine is a xenondepot kit too

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
might I add, Steve from xenondepot has excellent customer service care.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts