Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after the horrible winter-weather in toronto lately, i decided to put on a custom grill kit mainly to protect the radiator fins but also to make the car look nice.

So i first started by buying 2 sheets of gutter guard (made out of aluminum so it wont rust). I also got 2 tubes of white epoxy to stick the mesh to the front bumper.

When i got home, i took started to take the bumper off (special thanks to those that walked me through this process, you know who u are!). It actually wasn't that hard, just about 8-10 pop rivets that can be pryed off with a flathead screw driver and a couple screws.

After the bumper was off, i cut the mesh to the size that i needed to fill the holes (i thought that the foglight holes would match better if they were filled with mesh too). *note* Most people cut the 3 verticle bars between the bumper off, but i wasn't sure if they were supporting bars, so i decided to leave them on. Anyways, i found a way to weave the mesh through the back, infront of the 3 bars and behind the licence plate mounts, so it seemed to hold it perfectly (i probably didn't even need epoxy, but thought that it would hold it just in case, so i just put on a bit).

After that, I used a cardboard cutter type of exacto knife to cut out the foglight holes. People say that they are hard to cut out, but i found that it was quite easy. The material is actually almost a rubbery-plastic, so it cut quite easily.

Once the foglights were out, I sanded the edges with fine-grade sandpaper to smooth out the edges. Then i cut 2 more squares of mesh and put some epoxy on each corner and let it sit for the night with weights on top of it.

The next afternoon, the bumper was ready to be put back on. It really did not take me much time at all now that i was framilliar with it (about 20 minutes to put back on). And then I was done! I think it looks pretty good considering this is the first time I have ever worked on a car. Tell me what you guys think (i will try to post more pictures when it is bright out)

Oh yea, some things to watch out for:
1) make sure ALL the screws are out before you pull off the bumper
2) Be careful with weaving the mesh in the front grill part; it can scratch the paint easily if you are clumsy
3) Dont put the epoxy to the very edge of the foglight mesh pieces; if you look closely, on my left foglight space, you can see a bit of white stuff at the corners, that's the epoxy. If this happens it isn't the end of the world, I am just probably going to either try to sand it out or if i can't, use some touch-up paint on it.

that's about it! tell me how you like it!!

Any questions are welcome!

·
Registered
706 Posts
lead_foot, nice shit, Can you help me or guild me out when I got the car? btw...where in TO you live?

:thumbsup:

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rsx02 said:
lead_foot, nice shit, Can you help me or guild me out when I got the car? btw...where in TO you live?

:thumbsup:
sure, give me a shout when you need some help. It really isn't that hard, it was actually the first thing i ever did on a car.

BTW, i live in thornhill, leslie & steels (suburbs of toronto) and i go to york if that helps.

E

·
0 Posts
Looks really good. i did the same thing but painted it flat black and cut off supporting braces and licens plate braces. It wasn't to hard to do but looks very appealing.
late:D

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EVAQ8 said:
Looks really good. i did the same thing but painted it flat black and cut off supporting braces and licens plate braces. It wasn't to hard to do but looks very appealing.
late:D
I would like to see how yours would look! I assume it would look awsome on a nighthawk black rsx:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
oh......nice job man.

i hope i have time to make one

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nighthawk rider said:
oh......nice job man.

i hope i have time to make one
yea it doesn't take too long. If you have a weekend when your free that's probably the best time to do it since the epoxy has to set. It's well worth the work though plus it helps to protect the radiator which is a big + for me here in TO.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great job! Looks alot better.:thumbsup: I've been thinkin of doin mine too, might have to give it a shot now.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
miketoh said:
Great job! Looks alot better.:thumbsup: I've been thinkin of doin mine too, might have to give it a shot now.
Thanks!

Yea, i would do it if I were you, I really think it's worth the effort. It even looks much better in the daytime when the light is shining on it.

K

·
0 Posts
Very nice!

Actually I would like to do the same thing. It looks really good methinks. Even though my car is black. Actually it will be since I will be picking it up next Saturday.... I am counting the days!
I agree that it does serve am useful purpose. Besides I think subtle is good, because it says it all without being in your face.

So, where did you get the epoxy and mesh?
Since I would probably try to do it by myself as well.
Thanks in advance!;) :)

R

·
0 Posts
KUBOSHPERE

You can get the epoxy @ any Crappy Tire or other hardware store. you can buy the gutter guard @ Home Depot.

K

·
0 Posts
!

Thanks! Is that all you need?
I guess that I will be downloading the instructions from the
"How to" section. You make it sound pretty easy, as long as you are careful. No?:laughing:

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KuboSphere said:
Thanks! Is that all you need?
I guess that I will be downloading the instructions from the
"How to" section. You make it sound pretty easy, as long as you are careful. No?:laughing:
Yea, that's all u need in terms of materials. I got my mesh from home depot (it's just gutter guard [$5]) and the epoxy from lancing buildall. The only other tools that i used were an exacto knife, phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver wire cutters, sandpaper and a pair of pliers. Oh yea, and a popsicle stick to spread the epoxy.

Yea, the "How to do" section was whre i got my info from. There was this especially good thread that described it perfectly. IMO, it was pretty easy to do as long as I was careful. If you had a problem, I just refered back to the threads or asked some people some questions. The people were very nice, they should help u a lot if you run into any difficulties.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I left the three bars in my grill because I was scared to cut them out. I also thought it didnt look too bad while providing a good place to twist tie my mesh to. The mesh is painted to match my headlights too.

Attachments

E

·
0 Posts
That looks sweet man. I just got done putting mesh on mine today. I used epoxy for the lager opening. I don't know if anyone has tried it yet but behind the foglight holes there are four pegs with holes already in them. I used short self tapping screws and it holds the mesh in perfectly. Three dollars and an hour and a half later it was finished. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts