Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't have the car yet, but I plan to be buying the RSX-S in about 3 months. and I'm doing a lot of research about this desision and I'm totaling all of the costs to add performance to my car. Now I know that there currently is not a turbocharger for the RSX-S, but I'm getting prepped for it because I know it will be coming in the future, and I will be having custom pistons made to lower the compression ratio. What i want to know is should I get flat pistons, dome pistons, or reverse dome pistons. I've found rings that will withstand 16psi of pressure, but I'm going to push for 20psi. That's another thing though. What compression ratio should there be to safely run 20psi? Thanks in advance,

Marcus Floyd

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Im far from the expert on boost, but if you were running 20 psi through one (big ass) turbo, Id say CR of 6 or 7:1 (8 is normal isnt it for turbos?) and the best gas, intercooler, and some strong rods, youll be able to do it.

Would this be a daily driver though? Turn down the wick for normal driving eh, or balls out all the time?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this would be my every day car, I've also found turbo switches for this so I can turn the turbo on and off and control how much psi there is, also what other factors are their to consider when lowering the compression and changing pistons? The RSX is electronically fuel injected so changing pistons may throw off the timing and you DO NOT want that to happen!!
Thanks again,
Marcus Floyd

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turbo switches huh.. i find this hard to believe.. I suppose its possible but I have yet to see anything like it.. one would have to fabricate an exhaust manifold that has a large durable valve that can routes around the turbo, most likely introducing more turbulence and back pressure.. besides, who would want to turn a turbo off if they had one..

futhermore, 20 psi is pretty unfeasible (although possible) unless your talking a very small turbo.. for sure if your thinkin of the standard t3/t4 turbo your gonna have to spend MANY thousands of dollars to get that high..

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The 'switches' exist, but not in the sense of bypassing the turbo. Boost controllers I BELIEVE (if Im wrong please correct me) can be set to 0 pressure. While the intake wouldnt see much change, the turbo will still turn. Not good for the turbo, not bad for the engine though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris Farbry said:
The 'switches' exist, but not in the sense of bypassing the turbo. Boost controllers I BELIEVE (if Im wrong please correct me) can be set to 0 pressure. While the intake wouldnt see much change, the turbo will still turn. Not good for the turbo, not bad for the engine though.
sounds to me like a boost controller with the pressure set at 0 certainly isnt the same thing as a non-turbo'd version of that engine.. I mean if exhaust gasses are still spinning the turbo but not producing any boost it seems to me that there would be unnecessary back pressure..

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
thats what I said :)

(minus the backpressure thing) It wouldnt touch the engine, so in essense, it would be as close as reasonably possible to bypassing the turbo, short of actually passing it up on a normal drive. Would it matter all that much to run 5 or 6 pounds on a day to day basis, not in our EXs that I know of, so long as the fuel and timing are right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts