Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I recently picked up a Pioneer AVH-X5700bhs and installed it with the stock Bose system. All worked out well.

Now I installed a kicker amp and sub and there's no sound coming from the speakers at all unless I keep the bose amp plugged in. If I unplug the stock amp I'll have no sound. How do I use kicker amp or headunit amp instead? I don't want the stock amp. Sub will work only but no sound unless stock amp is plugged in

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
So far as I know...

Look for the 'Bose Bypass' thread at the top of the sub forum. The original Bose system sent pre-amp outputs to the Main Bose amp under the seat for final stage amplification. If you integrated your new HU into that system; you used the pre-amp outputs on the back of your new HU.

Pre-amp level outputs will not drive a speaker. You need to connect the speaker wires to the speaker output on your new HU (and turn on the speaker outs). The Bose Bypass is the easiest way to do this.

Your new HU has a pre-amp output for the sub signal. That goes into the "line in" on your Kicker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good man. I appreciate that.

I don't really have a problem with sound quality though. No static. However I don't hear certain sounds in lots of songs that I'd otherwise hear while wearing headphones.

Will the aftermarket HU power the stock speakers better/improve sound quality?

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Sounds good man. I appreciate that.

I don't really have a problem with sound quality though. No static. However I don't hear certain sounds in lots of songs that I'd otherwise hear while wearing headphones.

Will the aftermarket HU power the stock speakers better/improve sound quality?
There's no doubt that any modern HU will be better than the Bose system. It will have more punch, clarity, and headroom (for dynamics). The EQ will be more precise. Plus... the Bose systems are tending to burn out these days as they are over 10 years old. While you're messing with all of it, and getting a backache, there's no better time to upgrade and be done with it. And if something else pops up; you can troubleshoot much more precisely since there will only be speaker wires going from the HU to the speakers. With the Bose in line; there's a lot of weak links to check/troubleshoot.

Personally... I'd replace the front door speakers before going nuts with a sub. IMO... the biggest bang for the buck is HU, then speakers, then sub.

·
Registered
179 Posts
so, you want clarity in your sound.. check my audio build and think about swapping out the front speakers. with a good aftermarket 2ch amp for front, it is a good start!
because the rears are no use in my opinion :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts