Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2006 Acura RSX Type-S
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

about 3 weeks ago i had my motor rebuilt K20 head/k24 block, valves, 12.5:1 compression pistons, retainers, skunk2 stage 3 cams, 1000 ID fuel injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, k24 head gasket. my problem is my timing chain keeps jumping time and also breaking. i have the k24 chain, the (1st) time it jumped i had the stock tensioner on so i switched to the toda tensioner then a week later the (2nd) time it broke so i changed it to the chameleon tensioner and 3 days later (3rd) time it jumped again and i cant seem to understand why it keeps jumping or breaking. Valves were readjusted, new guides put in and the car is street tuned and i have K-pro.

please help this is very frustrating, i just cant seem to figure out what is causing this problem and i keep getting left in the middle of the street, becoming very unreliable.

any info is greatly appreciated, thank you

Registered
The only thing I can think of is looking into the alignment of your cam and crank gears. I've never changed a chain on the k20 before but I have changed the timing chains and gears on some older chevy motors and those gears need to be aligned correctly or your chain will snap. I'd be able to check the alignment by putting a straight edge on the gears and there should be no gap. I'm not sure how it goes for these motors but I have a hunch those parts were installed incorrectly.

Registered
2006 Acura RSX Type-S
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I can think of is looking into the alignment of your cam and crank gears. I've never changed a chain on the k20 before but I have changed the timing chains and gears on some older chevy motors and those gears need to be aligned correctly or your chain will snap. I'd be able to check the alignment by putting a straight edge on the gears and there should be no gap. I'm not sure how it goes for these motors but I have a hunch those parts were installed incorrectly.
Yea since then it's been given to a different person to check the car, i have feeling it's the cams based on the many things I've read about skunk2 cams and tensioner... Will definitely have the gears looked at again, thank you for the response

Registered
Idk if its the cams. Are you using k20 cam gears with a k24 chain? Idk if their the same as the k24 cam gears check and see if you can match the part numbers. Those gears may not mesh well with a k24 chain. I think I seen a thread somewhere that told you what you need to build a k20/k24 look for that as well.. it may have something in there about the chain and gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts