Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my car needs a good detail. I plan on using meguirs NXT wax for the first time. Can't wait. Anyways, is it neccesary to polish before you wax it with NXT or does the NXT have enough glaze and gloss? I plan on using the meguiars pro mirror glaze, if I need to. Thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
jstn said:
make sure to claybar before anything. it wont hurt to polish before nxt.
very very noob question.....what is a clay bar, and what does it do???(i've seen them....but never used them...or know what they do) :confused: :yawn:

·
Registered
783 Posts
okay i did search, and found out,, but i need to find out something else...when useing claybar,,....first wash the car, and use claybar with soapy water....than wax?? :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wash the car and dry it, use the lubricant that comes with the claybar to provide a medium to help the claybar slide across the painted surface, and then re-wax.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
I don't dry after claybarring because Zaino calls for a mix of water and wash soap for it's lube. I just make the lube a lil more concentrated and use the remaining water to balance it out.
If it calls for a quick detailer lube, you may want to dry.

Also, wash a 2nd time after claybarring since it will leave some residue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wash
Claybar
Wash Again
Dry Car
Polish
Wax

You don't necessarily have to polish the car before waxing. You would polish if you were trying to remove light swirls or such. It does help out to bring up the shine, but you should Polish your car like twice a year. Just wax like once a month to keep it up.

The key to any good detail is Prep Work, if you prep isn't any good, your results will suffer, simple as that, so take your time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I like to make my car look the best, but I think I will go ahead and use Meguairs mirror glaze polish, and then use NXT.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I wash my car first w/ the NXT car wash, then dry. I apply a coat of the NXT Tech Wax, and wipe off. Both the NXT Tech wax and spray wax give the paint a very smooth and glossy finish.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Tips on claybarring:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=155279

NXT has some *mild* polishing properties even though it's not a polish. It does seem to do a good job at covering up and perhaps removing some fine swirl marks. I would still use a polish before applying NXT if you have some troublesome scratches and if the paint still feels a bit rough after a claybar.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, good point eternalblue. You will get better results if you clay, polish then wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts