Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
beachside777 said:
This site seems to be pro-Zaino, to put it mildly. I just bought a new 2004 RSX Type S and plan on using Zaino myself. But many people still use wax. What are the benefits and drawbacks of wax and polish?
You are realy asking the difference between a synthetic sealant(zaino,platinum,etc) and pure wax(carnauba based product). Basically they are very different, a synthetic sealant offers very good, durable, long lasting protection, but at the cost of some(IMO opinion anyway) depth and richness. Carnauba is not as durable as a synthetic, but is usually less picky about bonding(since it doesn't bond) and looks deeper and has more warmth to it.

You could also look into hybrid products which contain both polymers(what actually makes zaino and other sealants so durable) AND carnauba, such as, meguiars #20, meguiars medallion paint protectant, poorboy EX, even gold class is a hybrid. None of these hybrids will outlast pure synthetics, but how long do you want it to last?

I use all of these from time to time, depends on the car or environment the car is stored in, the mood I am in , etc. I would suggest trying a few and seeing which one you like best. Remember this though, the work is all in the prep. You could properly prep a car and top it with turtle wax and it would look great. Invest in some good prep products to remove swirls and blemishes, keep all of your tools clean, and you will be fine.

· Registered
180 Posts
:iamwiths:

· Registered
1,243 Posts
i love it when someone types intelligent thoughts like that . . .

imagine me nodding my head up and down in agreement . . .

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
:D

I'm really starting to like mistaclean :thumbsup:
He saves me so much typing time.

Now to go into the "Why"s.
Our pro-Zaino mentality comes from the fact that most of us drive the car as a daily commuter. Daily drivers take a beating of weather, often parked outside, lots of pollutants during rush hour.
Zaino gives you a good, easy to maintain shine and good protection for a several months.
Many carnaubas will get you a better shine, but I found that between the rain and commute, it quickly dulled and I had to wax much more often to maintain the appearance.

I did a cheat round. I applied a basecoat of Zaino Z5 and topped it with P21S. It had really good shine and it's lasted pretty good, and there were no dust problems I get with other carnaubas, but I think I might stick to the Z5-Z2 combo when I reapply anyway.

If I was ever entering my car into a local show, I'd use the P21S again though. It's got some serious depth to it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polish vs. Wax Part II

Reading various threads, articles and instructions, it always talks about cleaning the wax off by washing the surface with Dawn dishwashing soap. The impression I get is that wax will prevent the polish from bonding. Is this correct? If so, why doesn't the wax in the hybrids cause bonding problems?

Secondly, if you apply a few coats of Zaino, could you then apply wax over it? Conversely, I wouldn't think you could apply Zaino over any type of wax. Even hybrids. True or false?

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
1a:
Wax will breakdown before the polymer, so if you apply a polymer on top of a wax, the wax will start to break down and everything comes off, so you won't get the long-life benefits of a polymer.
Wax also gets some of it's shine by slowly releasing oils, so you won't get the best bond.

1b:
The hybrids are mixed, so some of the polymer in it is exposed to clean car surface to bond, but they still don't have the lifespan of a pure polymer sealant... so maybe bonding is a problem in them after all :D

2a:
Yeap, you can apply wax on top of Zaino. It actually works pretty well if you want to add the depth of a carnauba and keep the underlying protection of a polymer sealant.

2b:
Don't bother putting Zaino on top of a wax.
Essentially you are wasting product.
Polymer on bottom for durability, wax on top for shine.
Wax on bottom, polymer on top means you have a less durable, less rich combo.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for your knowledge. In 1996 I bought a brand new '96 Prelude VTEC in black. It came from the dealership surprisingly well prepped. I don't know what they used but it had a wet look that couldn't be beat. A month later I decided to wash and wax to protect my pride and joy. Using Zymol I managed to swirl my paint so bad I almost blew my brains out. Black with clearcoat in the hands of an amateur is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Took it back to Honda and complained about the crappy paint. It was obvious I had done the damage due to blue residue hiding around rubber seals, etc. They didn't say anything. They still reworked it and got it looking much better, but it took another month or two of me carefully reworking it before it looked good. Which is why I'm being so paranoid about my RSX. Thanks again.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zymol just happened to be the wax I was using. I don't blame the Zymol. I think I just tried to do too large an area at a time. The Zymol had time to dry in a few spots and BING, swirls. All my towels and my mitt were cotton. I just blew it.

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
beachside777 said:
Zymol just happened to be the wax I was using. I don't blame the Zymol. I think I just tried to do too large an area at a time. The Zymol had time to dry in a few spots and BING, swirls. All my towels and my mitt were cotton. I just blew it.
You can use cotton and still get swirls.

Low pile in the wash mitt can drag dirt across the surface.
Many towels, if you dry with a bath towel, have a polyester backing and threads on the edges which can cause swirls.
Drying with chamois can cause swirls if there is dirt remaining on the surface.
Cheap applicators often have polyester threads.
Dirt on the applicator is also trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.