Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Polished Intake Manifold: Add some engine bling

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  cencalep3 
#1 ·
Polish your intake manifold and get some engine bling in your life !!! Let me start out by saying that this project is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. This is more than likely not a day project it takes a shitload of time. It is approximately 6-8 hours of sanding. 3-4 hours of polishing. This project costs around 30-35 dollars. As I said, it is a lot of work but mostly sanding though. Here are the things you will need:
1. 6 sheets of 60 grit sandpaper
2. 4 sheets of 120 grit
3. 4 sheets of 220 grit
4. 4 sheets of 320 grit
5. 2 sheets of 600 grit
6. 2 sheets of 1000 grit
7. 2 sheets of 1500 grit
8. Rotary tool such as a Dremel with polishing accessories (I already had this tool as I do woodworking/carpentry)
9. Sander such as a palm sander (Optional)
10. Jewelers rouge (I purchased a round tube 1" in diameter and 4" long.
11. Mothers Aluminum Mag Polish
12. Eye protection
13. Dust mask

First step is the rough sanding. I found it best to cut the sandpaper into 1/4 sheets. Use all of the 60 grit. Yes you will need sandpaper this rough and that many sheets to knock off the rough surface on the manifold. I listed the orbital or palm sander above as optional because I didn't use one. The manifold doesn't have too many flat surfaces. But use whatever you have. Sand, sand and sand some more.

Sand until you see less "black" dots left over from the rough surface. Use the Dremel and the 60 grit sanding drum to help you get rid of those dots. Also use the dremel to get into the hard to reach areas at the start of the runners and toward the top where the manifold attaches to the head.

Sand, sand and sand some more. Ha ha.

You will be left with lots of aluminum and sandpaper particulate so a blow gun and compressor helped me with cleaning the manifold. After you have finished off the rough surface hit it with the 120 grit. After this, hit it with the 220 grit. After this hit it with the 320 grit. At this point, the manifold should look like this.

Now hit it with the 600 grit. Then the 1000 grit. At this point it seems like you aren't sanding but you are trust me the finish will look a lot better if you do these last sanding steps. "Finish" off the manifold by hitting it with the 1500 grit.
Now apply the red jewelers rouge to the buffing wheel on the Dremel and start polishing the manifold. Work in a circular motion and do spots at a time. I did it runner by runner with both sanding and polishing. As I mentioned I already had the Dremel with accessories and did not need to buy buffing wheels. After applying the rouge the manifold will begin to look like "chrome" but it will have a reddish hue. Don't worry about that. Once the manifold is covered with rouge and semi-shiny clean off the rouge with a clean terry towel.
Finally finish off the manifold by applying the mag polish per instructions on the label. You may need to use two coats but one should be enough. After this last step, your PRB intake manifold should be nice and shiny.

Now you can open up your hood and with a painted valve cover, cleaned/degreased bay and turn some heads at the next meet. :thumbsup: Didn't have time today to put it on the car and the cell phone pic does it no justice. Will post a pic on car in the next coming days. Questions and comments are welcome. Enjoy.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.