Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna start doing some car detailing and right now I have all meguairs stuff so I might as well just buy meguiars unless if their polish is really that shitty. I go to their site and the store and there's all these different numbers like 83 and 84 and a few others. I know what a glaze is but I don't know what the difference is with their numbers for polishes. They just seem so random. 83 and 84? Is it the abrasiveness? And is there a way to figure out how abrasive they are? I'm open to suggestions of other brands as well. I saw poorboys and was thinking about getting #2.5 and 1 polisher.

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
is there a way to figure out how abrasive they are
You kidding. They have a abrasive scale on the front, left side. Some good meguiars polishes are:

#105- Strong polish, use to remove deep imperfection in the paint.

#83-medium duty polish. cleans paint while remove light to medium imperfection.

#80-Light duty polish. Use to remove light imperfection.

#66-One step polish. Polish, cleans, protects. Removes light imperfection, while cleaning and protecting the paint.

#26- A carnuba wax. Gives the paint better depth and shine.

#21-A sealant. Has good protection and durability.

#7- Use to give the paint some pop. Hides imperfections.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,148 Posts
There is an abrasive scale on their Mirror Glaze body shop polishes. Look at that to determine how much 'cut' each polish has.

I can't say I'm too fond of Meguiar's polishes though. I don't like the fact that they are loaded with 'trade secret oils' aka fillers, and don't fair to well in the sun. If your just starting off I'd highly recommend the Optimum lineup. Cheaper and easier to work with then Meguiar's IMO. Get some Optimum Compound, Polish, Poli-Seal if your up for it, and a nice LSP and your golden.

Of course you can just read the stickies and see the 'recommendations' thread :deadhorse

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading>Me, their site is so slow on Firefox for some reason and I kept looking at their product's list and didn't find too much. I did read the recommendations thread but everyone uses different things. I'm guessing for detailing I should get a medium polish and fine polish followed by glaze and wax? I was thinking getting poorboy's 2.5 and then 1 or Meguiar's #83 and #80.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,148 Posts
Reading>Me, their site is so slow on Firefox for some reason and I kept looking at their product's list and didn't find too much. I did read the recommendations thread but everyone uses different things. I'm guessing for detailing I should get a medium polish and fine polish followed by glaze and wax? I was thinking getting poorboy's 2.5 and then 1 or Meguiar's #83 and #80.
Poorboy's are good although their polishes dust like a mofo. Unless your getting the Meguiar's locally and trying to avoid shipping, I'd advise against them since there are easier polishes to use, but thats JMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts