Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Popping or "Klunking" coming from suspension

6K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Iaro 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I've got a problem and I can not figure out what the hell it is. I've had Megan full body's for a while now (maybe 4 or 5 months) and I've never had a problem with them at all. Something along the front passanger side is popping or making a "klunk" sound when Im rolling and I turn. It will not do it going straight and it will not do it sitting still. Only when Im rolling and I make a turn. Doesn't sound like it does it even on the interstate. At first I did some research and I figured it was the bearing in the coilover (even though it wouldn't make any sense why it does it only when Im moving) so I took the coilover apart the other day and regreased everything and put it all back together and it's still doing it just as bad. It sounds like something is loose almost but everything is tight. I got under the car and checked everything and hit it the impact anyway just to make sure. Everyone I tell this to automatically says it's probably an axle...but it doesn't sound like an axle at all to me and my axles looks great. Although the passanger side is the one with the half shaft on it but it LOOKS good as well. I can not figure out what this noise is but it's getting embarrasing. It started doing it about 2 weeks ago but it didn't do it much or every time...now it's all the time and everytime. Anyone have any idea's? I'd take a video but I don't think my camera would pick up the noise.

#2 ·
I was just thinking. I put a clutch in recently and when I put the axle nuts back on, I used an impact that's not THAT strong. It's rated high but it's a cheap one from wal mart hah. Im wondering if they've come a little loose and when I turn the axles kinda moving in and out of the hub some. I pulled my hub cap off a second ago to check it with my fingers and it wasn't loose but it may have to much pressure on it to tell right now with just my fingers. Thing is, Im pretty sure it's making the noise on the drivers side every once in a while as well. What would be the odds of something in the suspension messing up on both sides at the same exact time....I guess I'll drive back over to my grandmothers where all my tools are and hit them with the impact again and see if they move any. If anyone thinks of anything in the mean time, PLEASE let me know.

#4 ·
Im starting to think it's not the coilovers though. I mean I've taken them apart and everything looked just fine and moved fine but I greased it anyway and nothing changed. Sometimes I can understand how it could possibly sound like an axle but then it'll sound like a coilover spring gets jammed and then pops loose all of the sudden. I have no idea. When I take it to my guy to get an alignment, I'll get him to look at everything and see if he can find the problem.

#6 ·
floating? and how could it be to tight? It's been set like this for a long time and it's never given me any problems. And why would it start doing it on both sides all of the sudden?

#7 ·
if you preload the spring past 0, which is basically where the perch meets the spring and no more, the spring binds under cornering, etc. as for why it just started doing it, i'm clueless.

#9 ·
I checked the axles nuts and they're still super tight so that's not the problem. The sound has gotten worse now. I can't figure out what's going on. Now it's doing it over every little bump as well. Still rides the exact same which is good. It's driving me fucking crazzzzzzy. I can't find anything wrong with anything. Im going to get my alignment on Wednesday and Im gonna get the guy to check everything out and see if he can find something wrong. Can someone post a picture of a fully assembled, working Megan coilover so I can compare.

#10 ·
Now Im wondering if the coilover sleeve has come loose and making noise. I had it do that on the other side once and make a tiny bit of noise...but nothing at all like this. I'll check that tomorrow too but Im pretty sure thats not it either. Im stumpped.

#11 ·
I recently bought an 05 S with stock suspension and have the exact same problem on the rear, both sides. I suspect it is the spring coils binding on one another or the spring moving on the perch. It also drives me nuts. It is barely still under warrentee, I need to get it in to the dealer.

#12 ·
i deal with this all the time. i dont have megans or anything... ive got skunk2 coils on tokico d-spec shocks. very nice ride tho btw. hehe.

anyway, from what i remember, there's that metal top piece. im not familiar with the pieces of the the whole coilover name (parts). but like the top piece, thats made outta metal... well for one thing, that part is rubbing on something. that's creating a part of the clunking sound. but other piece to that is the spring is turning. it floats i guess from time to time depending on where ur going n what not. its weird.

hope that helps a lil bit.

#15 ·
No that's not what it is. I have Megans...they have the camber plate on top and my camber is straight anyways. My tires arent towed in at all. This isn't something that's happening every now adn then or anything either. It's EVERY time I get in my car and it all of the sudden started doing it. Tomorrow is the day Im taking it to get the alignment though so Im getting him to check it out too.

#17 ·
Do you have an under body brace of any kind? I put the Tanabe on and did the exact same thing in the front passenger side. The subframe bolt backed out a little and the brace was sliding around on the bolt making the clunking soud. I tightend it up and checked the other 3 and it was all good. I did my clutch and flywheel last April and installed another Tanabe Underbody Brace. The same problem has happend again. Since you did your clutch maybe you should check the 4 sub frame bolts anyway. Good luck

#18 ·
clunking sound

I had a clunking sound when I turned slowly too. It turned out that the knuckleheads I paid to put in my Progress springs left all the bolts attaching the shocks way loose on the passenger side. My geuss is that two guys tag teamed on the install and the passenger side guy F-ed up. The shop that did it is now out of business so no recourse.
No probs now as I had Progress coilovers installed recently........russtang

#19 ·
Got my alignment today. We checked EVERYTHING. Everything is really tight and the passenger side coilover looks JUST like the drivers side. The drivers side actually isn't making noise at all. The passenger side is still doing it. He agrees with me in that it's the coil binding and then popping loose. But we can't seem to figure out why it's binding. Everything looks fine. Makes no sense at all. Im going to send Megan an email and see what's up and if they've had this problem before.

#20 ·
A popping noise is almost always a strut mount.Even though you greased them (which makes no sence) will tell you squat about what that strut is doing under extreeme pressure.Almost every vehicle lowered with struts makes a popping or creaking noise after.A bad half shaft (btw you have 2 not 1) will make a clicking noise on turns not a popping noise.(Unless the bearings were binding)(Which is highly unlikely but possible) Do not continue to impact the king nut on the half shaft!!!That should be torqued to spec so you do not damage the bearing.Even sealed bearings can be damaged by over tightening the king nut.I realize you are convinced it is not your strut but it most likely is.Only 1 other thing makes a popping noise like that and it is a balljoint.But I imagine if you "shook down" the front end you would have noticed that......So it is your strut mount.BTW coil overs are junk.If you are going to lower a vehicle do it right.....Springs,struts and new mounts.And of course the camber kit.H&R makes a good spring and KYB GR2 is a very nice "sport" combination.Stiff,great handeling,and still comfortable.GL!!! HOPE I HELPED!!

#25 ·
First off, coilovers are not junk or it wouldn't be what professional track guys use and they wouldn't ride better and have all the adjustability that they have. These coilovers do no have regular strut mounts. If you researched, you'd know. And also it does make sense to grease them (once again if you researched, there's a big write up on it with these exact coilovers because the bearing tends to bind and hang up sometimes at which point they need grease). Plus, I've taken it apart and everything looks great and moves freely, however you are correct in that I can't tell exactly what it's doing under the extreme pressure that it's being put under. I realize you're trying to help but don't talk to me like Im stupid or insult me by saying that coilovers are the wrong way to lower a car. I've had 2 sets of springs on this car before the coilovers and they sucked balls. I even changed the struts out to the best one you can get for the RSX and it still rode like shit. These coilovers handle 3x's are good and ride 3x's are good as before. Anyway, I do thank you for trying to help and giving some of your input. Im not completely convinced that it's not something with the coilover or "strut". It sounds like the spring is binding up and popping loose though. And no, not every car will make noise once it is lowered. I've had several lowered car which all were different set up's and none of them made noise until now. And about the camber kit...I do not need one for the front because the Megan coilovers have a camber plate on top of them already. And it works, we used it when we did the alignment the other day and it's perfect. My inner tie rod end boot is busted but has been like that for a long time so I wouldn't suspect that it would be the problem....especially if it sounds like a spring popping. Anyway, if you or anyone else has any more ideas, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

#21 ·
that's funny cause I have the same exact problem and I started a thread for it too!!!
I'm getting my car checked righ now, if I got it fixed I'll let you know. As far as my understanding goes, it's the strut mount. You may wanna take your suspension apart and readjust everything if you know how to.

#22 ·
I have heard witht he stock suspension there was some issues with clunking when stuff gets tossed up into the spring and it compresses and and then binds a little. I have it on myine now with Tanabe coilovers and it is just when cranking it really hard at super low speeds. Nothing but an annoyance.

Reactions: robry
#23 ·
i just totally got rid of my clunking.

1. removed the tie rod end, wd40 and lubed it with some lithium grease.
2. wd40 top pillowmounts, top of springs, bottom of the springs. follow with the grease.
3. put the tie rod end back on make sure the nut is tight. i lubed the inside of it too.

this is just probably temp. buts its going good so far, 2 days and counting ill keep you guys updated. it really solved the clunking and im very satisfied.

#26 ·
Well, I brought my Acura in and the clunking they said was from a bad strut... so they will be replacing the rear strut that was making the noise... I'll let you guys know if this fixes the problem

#27 ·
Im having the same problems with mine also... and havent drove my car for 2 weeks, just thinking something might break ..=( I was about to replace tho whole suspension cuz its gotten on my nerves!!! Let us know if changing the strut fixes ur problem. =) Hope it does!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.