Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which model/engine do you have?Ive got a ported base head that i did.I charge a little more for "s" heads because they are already really good from the factory and there isnt much to clean up,so it takes more skill to produce more power from those heads.But the base heads can easily be improved on,as theyre horrible,not the casting,but the shape.It was cast like that on purpose to improve economy and emissions,and not allow for fuel pooling on the back of the non used valve under 2200rpm,but for performance it sucks.If youre interested,pm me and ill provide you with pics,pricing and answer any other questions you have.Power gains depends on the head porter and what type of port you request.

·
If ur not 1st ur last
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much do u charge for the type s?.
I want the best for better power gains. I dont know much about port and polishing the head.So fill me in on what it does exactly?.
THanks alot

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
www.rddyno.com

I think it is $800 for just P&P and like $1800 for P&P/valves/valves springs installed. They run them on a flowbench to get the best gains. If you just go in and start dremeling stuff you could do more harm than good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
fearless_dsm said:
Which model/engine do you have?Ive got a ported base head that i did.I charge a little more for "s" heads because they are already really good from the factory and there isnt much to clean up,so it takes more skill to produce more power from those heads.But the base heads can easily be improved on,as theyre horrible,not the casting,but the shape.It was cast like that on purpose to improve economy and emissions,and not allow for fuel pooling on the back of the non used valve under 2200rpm,but for performance it sucks.If youre interested,pm me and ill provide you with pics,pricing and answer any other questions you have.Power gains depends on the head porter and what type of port you request.
Have you put both heads on a flow bench? I heard from a very reliable source that the heads have the same ports.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I havent put them on a flow bench,but have both in front of me right now and you can tell that the a2 ports are physically bigger than a3 ports..by about 2-3mm.And the port within 1" of the always used valve on the intake side is narrowed significantly to help direct the air and fuel to it when the other valve is "off".I seriously doubt that it flows as well as the a2 head in its current form,but if it does,everyone should just drop the a2 head for race app's.As there is alot more room for improvement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont think youd see too much with stock cams and ecu,as the ports are pretty much well matched for the cams..but if you upgraded the cams and went with a hondata ecu,im sure youd notice upwards of 35whp,possibly more,depending on what cams and what ecu program.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
R & D guarantees 20hp or your money back, call them up and see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Call R&D or their east coast distributor Nu Image Autosports.

·
Isn't this cool?
99 Posts
Would a port and polish compliment a turbo setup if you were to eventually go that way? There are no ill affects right?

·
Registered
354 Posts
as of now, no one has ever reported the results of a port and polish on a TURBO setup for the k20a2.
edo has done a port and polish on a naturally aspirated setup and did not get modest gains or rather...it wasnt as cost effective as it should have been. people have even said that the k20a2 engine already flows as good as it gets stock and that it would be hard to make it much better.
there is someone doing a port and polish and a 3 angle valve job, with oversized valves/retainers, in southern california on a custom turbo destined to run 25psi with an hks fcon unit on their rsx-s.
whether he reports his gains or benefits from the port and polish will be unknown, unless he puts the turbo kit on first and then does a dyno before and after the port and polish.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
666 Posts
That R & D 20 HP guarantee says "Most engines". I'd ask before assuming that the guarantee applies to a K20A2.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Sacrifice said:
That R & D 20 HP guarantee says "Most engines". I'd ask before assuming that the guarantee applies to a K20A2.
I think I'll send them my head for a free port & polish. No way they can get 20HP just from P&P on the K20A2 head.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mugen has head P&P for sale now through king motorsports, or maybe it is offered by King. Anyways they have it and it is a whole lot cheaper than 1800 package R&D offers (like 850). And the main problem edo had was that he could not find a cam that would utilize the flow potential of his ported head. I also think he did an almost full race port, but that was a while back when I read that.

Josh

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
FireHawk said:
mugen has head P&P for sale now through king motorsports, or maybe it is offered by King. Anyways they have it and it is a whole lot cheaper than 1800 package R&D offers (like 850). And the main problem edo had was that he could not find a cam that would utilize the flow potential of his ported head. I also think he did an almost full race port, but that was a while back when I read that.

Josh
The porting itself was $800, the $1800 price was for valve springs, and new valves installed along with the P&P. I'll have to check king out though too.

The new crower cams coming out should be able to utilize the flow, they have like 5 dif stages coming out. 1fstep3 is running a 12 with full interior with a P&P head with just ITR internals....imagine what a aggressive cam will do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I spoke with the local speed shop and they said that the head on a KA20A2 flows so well that it's not worth doing a P&P, save your money for something else, besides to get a proper P&P that most shops don't do, is very, very expensive...with flow testing after every shaving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rsx type s heads flow very well,but if youre after more power,there is always some power to be made with a good pnp.The a3 head though can still gain a ton of power from a Pnp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.