Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:crying: hi all. i have a porter cable 7424 with the velcro backing plate, white pads, beige pads, yellow pads, and a burgundy pad. I also, have 4star clay bar and lube, Meg's #80 Glaze, #83 DACP, NXT TECH Wax and NXT QD. Anyway, i have two cars, an 89 legend and 03 RSX. The RSX paint is in pretty good condition. Has some fairly deep swirl marks on the hood and some overspray that i haven't been able to completely clay bar out thanks to my dumbass dealership and their bad carwash and to the guys that painted my body kit. The legend, thats just a whole other ball game, cobwebs, oxidation, swirlmarks, the works. Anyway, when i ordered my products, the guy told me that i could use #80 on RSX cause it was not too aggressive and to use it with a yellow pad. He said not to use DACP cause it was too aggressive. So i did as he recommended. My exact process was, wash car, dry car, clay bar. Surface was then as smooth as glass. Then, I used #80 at 4.5 - 5 and gave it two full applications. unfortunately, even though some of the lighter swirl marks were gone, the deeper ones weren't. Then, i moved up to a buffing pad 9006 (i think, its the beige one) and i applied the NXT at 2.5 - 3. I let it sit for a bit and then removed it by hand with a 100%terry cloth and then went over it again with a microfibre towel. After all that work , i notice that i still have those swirl marks on my hood. i mean the shine is amazing, the gloss is high and i like the results, i just don't like that i couldn't cut enough to get the swirl marks out. I know that #80 isn't a true swirl remover but i figured since it was new paint that it might do the trick. It didn't. I now need suggestions. Would it be too crazy to try the DACP with a yellow pad? what about the #80 on the burgundy? what about my speeds, were they ok?, i did work the products until they were almost gone. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Don't know if this matters but my color is EBP. You wouldn't know they (the swirl marks) were there unless i pointed them out to you or you ran a flourescent light over the car but i'm a perfectionist and its killing me. Well, thats all, thanks in advance.

Wil

·
Registered
637 Posts
ntwillie1 said:
:crying: hi all. i have a porter cable 7424 with the velcro backing plate, white pads, beige pads, yellow pads, and a burgundy pad. I also, have 4star clay bar and lube, Meg's #80 Glaze, #83 DACP, NXT TECH Wax and NXT QD. Anyway, i have two cars, an 89 legend and 03 RSX. The RSX paint is in pretty good condition. Has some fairly deep swirl marks on the hood and some overspray that i haven't been able to completely clay bar out thanks to my dumbass dealership and their bad carwash and to the guys that painted my body kit. The legend, thats just a whole other ball game, cobwebs, oxidation, swirlmarks, the works. Anyway, when i ordered my products, the guy told me that i could use #80 on RSX cause it was not too aggressive and to use it with a yellow pad. He said not to use DACP cause it was too aggressive. So i did as he recommended. My exact process was, wash car, dry car, clay bar. Surface was then as smooth as glass. Then, I used #80 at 4.5 - 5 and gave it two full applications. unfortunately, even though some of the lighter swirl marks were gone, the deeper ones weren't. Then, i moved up to a buffing pad 9006 (i think, its the beige one) and i applied the NXT at 2.5 - 3. I let it sit for a bit and then removed it by hand with a 100%terry cloth and then went over it again with a microfibre towel. After all that work , i notice that i still have those swirl marks on my hood. i mean the shine is amazing, the gloss is high and i like the results, i just don't like that i couldn't cut enough to get the swirl marks out. I know that #80 isn't a true swirl remover but i figured since it was new paint that it might do the trick. It didn't. I now need suggestions. Would it be too crazy to try the DACP with a yellow pad? what about the #80 on the burgundy? what about my speeds, were they ok?, i did work the products until they were almost gone. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Don't know if this matters but my color is EBP. You wouldn't know they (the swirl marks) were there unless i pointed them out to you or you ran a flourescent light over the car but i'm a perfectionist and its killing me. Well, thats all, thanks in advance.

Wil
Fine choice of products IMO. Use the DACP with the yellow pad, I would not use the burgundy cutting pad, it is designed to be used with a rotary. If the DACP doesn't remove the swirls then a rotary will probably be required to remove them. With the DACP and the PC apply at about 5.5 with moderate pressure on the machine easing up as the product breaks down.

Follow up with the speed glaze and another yellow polishing pad. Apply to a small area until almost gone, then allow it dry before removing. I like to apply the #80 to the entire car, then come back and remove.

Last step is to apply the NXT. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mistaclean said:
Fine choice of products IMO. Use the DACP with the yellow pad, I would not use the burgundy cutting pad, it is designed to be used with a rotary. If the DACP doesn't remove the swirls then a rotary will probably be required to remove them. With the DACP and the PC apply at about 5.5 with moderate pressure on the machine easing up as the product breaks down.

Follow up with the speed glaze and another yellow polishing pad. Apply to a small area until almost gone, then allow it dry before removing. I like to apply the #80 to the entire car, then come back and remove.

Last step is to apply the NXT. Let us know how it turns out!
MistaClean, thanks for the advice. I was hoping you'd be one of the people to reply. I will def try your suggestions today or tomorrow and let you guys know how it turns out. BTW, i love your civic. I used to have a Civic 2000 ex coupe that i was fixing up and it was stolen. I lost almost everything i put into it but i did manage to get back my tein coilovers, grillcraft and dc sports header. i hope to buy another one in a couple of years and fix it up. i hope it looks as nice as yours. thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts