Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy's after giving my 2008 Honda Accord to my mom, I'm in the market for a smaller car and the RSX fit my desire > 2dr + Hatchback.

There's currently 2 that Im looking at a 2003 & 2006 rsx-s

1. 2003 - black - 157,000km - $6600
He didn't really mention anything else that is important except mods

Two-way car starter and alarm - CompuStar
JVC Stereo Deck with USB and AUX input. The stock stereo is also available.
GReddy Ti-C full catback exhaust
DC Racing ceramic headers
K&N Cold Air Intake
NGK spark plugs
New Apexi clutch installed 8,000 kilometers ago

2. 2006 - mag metallic - 147,000km - $10000
Not to be creepy but I googled the owner and he's a middle age general manager doesn't look like someone who treats their possessions badly.

Trans, Diff fluid change, New clutch 1000km ago
Breaks & battery replace at 120,000km

AEM V2 Ram Air Intake
HKS Hi-Power Cat Back Exhaust
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts
New OEM Clutch (under 2,000 kms)
Competition Clutch 8lbs Ultra Lightweight Steel Flywheel
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Skunk2 10th Anniversary weighted shift knob
Buddy Club Short Shifter
Ingalls Rear Camber Kit (not installed)
Wrinkle Red Valve Cover
JDM Yellow High Beam/Driving Lights

Im still wondering if the $3400 difference is drastic enough to pick either. Im leaning towards the 2006 because it's newer and it has most the mods I was going for anyways but I would prefer to have done the mods myself so I know what's up. What do you guys think?

·
RDMing Ghost
59 Posts
Go '03. You'll be able to to more to the car. Just ask questions about it trying to get the real important answers out of him.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
welcome... go ahead and introduce yourself and say a little about you in your first post for when you actually buy one.

the 06 is the better buy in my opinion... it has 3 years less wear and tear along with lower mileage... especially if the modifications on it are something you would be interested in. really the only difference in modifying the 2 would be the cost of k-pro. if you don't like the mods on the 06, the 03 appears to have less on it, and would cost you less money to buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Value wise, are either great? I couldn't find the apexi clutch the first one one mentioning.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
Value wise, are either great? I couldn't find the apexi clutch the first one one mentioning.
both of them are fairly low mileage for the years, and if they've both been well maintained either one should be fine. like with any used car purchase, if you're not 100% on what to look for it would be a good idea to take to a mechanic you trust to check it out and do a compression test etc. if you're looking to spend less money for right now, the 03 should be a good buy. the 06 has probably has $1,000 $1,500 or more worth of extra aftermarket parts... so there's probably a $2,000ish difference for being 3 years newer and having a little lower mileage. if you have big plans down the road such as boost, the 03 could be the better platform since you could spend less money on the car, k-pro and have the 4.38 gearing rather than 4.76. on the other hand, if you wanted to stay with bolt ons the z1 cams and 4.76 gearing in the 06 would be a little more beneficial. also with an n/a build the 4.76 would be more beneficial.

as far as an apexi clutch, maybe it's a typo, as i've never heard of them making clutches. so i'd ask him to clarify. i'm no expert on aftermarket part information, i'm more of the install and fix guy rather than studying the aftermarket parts.

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,103 Posts
GO for the 06. Better value and by looking at the parts its seems the owner of the 06 bought better parts and may take care of the car better. Apexi never made a clutch for the RSX infact I don't think they make clutches at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know how to test for the 2nd gear/3rd gear problems? anything else I can look for by myself before inspection?

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,103 Posts
Just drive it and row through the gears and see if it grinds or is tough to get into gear. Check ball joints, tie rod ends, suspension, any motor or tranny leaks, body rust esp on rear corner panel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just bought a base 03 rsx...141k....3800.

Hey guy's after giving my 2008 Honda Accord to my mom, I'm in the market for a smaller car and the RSX fit my desire > 2dr + Hatchback.

There's currently 2 that Im looking at a 2003 & 2006 rsx-s

1. 2003 - black - 157,000km - $6600
He didn't really mention anything else that is important except mods

Two-way car starter and alarm - CompuStar
JVC Stereo Deck with USB and AUX input. The stock stereo is also available.
GReddy Ti-C full catback exhaust
DC Racing ceramic headers
K&N Cold Air Intake
NGK spark plugs
New Apexi clutch installed 8,000 kilometers ago

2. 2006 - mag metallic - 147,000km - $10000
Not to be creepy but I googled the owner and he's a middle age general manager doesn't look like someone who treats their possessions badly.

Trans, Diff fluid change, New clutch 1000km ago
Breaks & battery replace at 120,000km

AEM V2 Ram Air Intake
HKS Hi-Power Cat Back Exhaust
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts
New OEM Clutch (under 2,000 kms)
Competition Clutch 8lbs Ultra Lightweight Steel Flywheel
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Skunk2 10th Anniversary weighted shift knob
Buddy Club Short Shifter
Ingalls Rear Camber Kit (not installed)
Wrinkle Red Valve Cover
JDM Yellow High Beam/Driving Lights

Im still wondering if the $3400 difference is drastic enough to pick either. Im leaning towards the 2006 because it's newer and it has most the mods I was going for anyways but I would prefer to have done the mods myself so I know what's up. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 06 looks like it was probably taken care of. The fact that the owner didn't simply buy the common bolt-ons and went for performance quality parts is a good sign that he probably drove it well too. Of course he could also be an idiot who simply knows cars but doesn't give a damn. Hope whatever you pick works out.. Both are good cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts