Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since the winter sucks in Michigan, and the car is in storage for 5 months, I decided to do some powder coating on some parts.

The valve cover is JDM blue with a crinkle finish, looks just like it came from Honda.

The calipers were done in a color called golddust, it is more of a dark bronze, with just a small ammount of flake in it, which I tried to get in the pictures, but they really don't do it justice. With me having dark wheels, and the AEM carbon black rotors, I didn't want to draw too much attention to the calipers by powder coating them blue, so I chose this to be a little more subtle.

Enjoy the pictures.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kabe said:
wow, they both look really good. how much did that all cost you?

For everything it was just a little over $480, and that is for all 4 calipers (front and rear) and the valve cover. The cost was a little more because they didn't have either color in stock, so I had to order 5 lb boxes of each.

·
Registered
60 Posts
SolLess said:
For everything it was just a little over $480, and that is for all 4 calipers (front and rear) and the valve cover. The cost was a little more because they didn't have either color in stock, so I had to order 5 lb boxes of each.

where did u get it done in michigan

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
looks really good

·
Registered
271 Posts
How hard was it to take off the valve cover? Im thinking about doing mine. And how long it take to power coat the parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
valve cover. sweet!

·
Registered
811 Posts
480 hmmmmm wow!....TOO MUCH....you can get a real JDM VALVE COVER for 150 bucks.....and its even in the dealership!!!!!! And it is way more lighter than those stock valve also... and for those caliper I painted mine also and it only cost me about 10 bucks....never fade till now. And its already one year old.

www.valenciaacura.com has those. :driving:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Powder coating is much more durable than any paint job, so don't confuse the two. This will last the life of the car. It won't chip, fade, or or crack from heat. Just remember, you get what you pay for. The valve cover was actually pretty cheap to do (about $85) It was the brake calipers that was expensive to do. The powder coat for the calipers was expensive because of the metallic flake in it. I got it done in Michigan at a little shop called Exotic Coatings in Romulus Mi.
They do a lot of stuff there. They have over 10,000 colors, with different textures and the such. They also do ceramic high heat coatings, for exhaust manifolds and the such. You can check them out on the web at exoticcoatings.com.

The valve cover was really easy to take off, it only took about 10 minutes. The waiting period on my powder coating was 7-10 days, but I'm sure it depends on how much business a place does.

Thanks to all who like it. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts