Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 RSX Type S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 04 Type S about a month ago I saw it had a decent power steering leak that flung oil all over the place and made a mess. I figured since I was replacing the headlight housing I would replace the power steering pump and belt at the same time. That went mostly smoothly. I couldn't get it to stop making foam at first, but I soon realized that the o-ring on the input side of the pump was ripped and causing it to be able to suck a little air in. Went and replaced the o-ring, then it stopped making foam and started turning the wheels properly again. I went lock to lock a bunch of time, made sure the reservoir was full and seemed like things were working well.

However, I have noticed that now when the engine is cold and I back up to pull out of my garage or parking space, if I go right, then left then right too quickly the steering will get hard like the pump wasn't working. It's the same for left right then left as well as far as I can tell. It only does it when it's cold, once it warms up even a bit it stops.

Not really a huge issue but it would be nice to know if I did something wrong?

Also, this was a used OEM pump from a salvage yard. It doesn't have any leaks or anything, doesn't make any squeals or anything either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Temperature dependant makes me think fluid viscosity. I wonder if you bought a lighter weight fluid if there is such a thing for power steering. Or maybe your fluid was some how damaged by running it a foamy state. Or maybe still some burnt old fluid in there Hard to completely change the fluid.

·
Registered
2004 RSX Type S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temperature dependant makes me think fluid viscosity. I wonder if you bought a lighter weight fluid if there is such a thing for power steering. Or maybe your fluid was some how damaged by running it a foamy state. Or maybe still some burnt old fluid in there Hard to completely change the fluid.
I used genuine Honda Power Steering fluid so I'm pretty sure it's the right stuff. I guess I could try taking some more out of the reservoir and filling it back up again to at least remove as much of the old fluid as I can for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts