Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am contemplating removing my power steering, but I want to hear the opinions of those of you who have driven on track (or in general) without power steering.

If you have any experience with either of the following, please comment - thanks!

a) No power steering at all, completely removed
b) EPS power steering

I know that car maneuvering will be a bitch in parking lots, etc, but I am just curious about the feel/stability/controlability of the car at speed and in cornering, particularly as it applies on track.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keep the PS or if you want swap over to EPS. There have been so many times where I've had to make emergency manuvers on track where it could have been game over if I didn't have PS. Keep in mind we drive a nose heavy 2700lb car, we're no longer steering a 2200lb eg civic.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So, I am contemplating removing my power steering, but I want to hear the opinions of those of you who have driven on track (or in general) without power steering.

If you have any experience with either of the following, please comment - thanks!

a) No power steering at all, completely removed
b) EPS power steering

I know that car maneuvering will be a bitch in parking lots, etc, but I am just curious about the feel/stability/controlability of the car at speed and in cornering, particularly as it applies on track.
why do it? i dont see any advantages...

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why do it? i dont see any advantages...
a) I was thinking that it might provide better feel for the road when driving on-track
b) I have a supercharger and would get more belt wrap AND get to use the oem belt tensioner again
c) Would free up a few horsepower, and save some weight (weight that is up high and in front)
d) Cosmetically, the engine bay would look a lot cleaner

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I tested this myself by spending $14 on a shorter belt and bypassing the PS pulley.

Honestly, it is too heavy for me. It felt ok at high speed, but even then, it does take a lot of work to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees, or to turn quickly. Basically, I didn't find it safe for low speed in-town driving. You just can't get the car to react fast enough without power steering.

Oh well, it was worth my time to find out.

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
good way of testing, but i liked it. yes it isn't really safe for DDing but on the track its really easy, and tests how smooth your inputs can be.

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good way of testing, but i liked it. yes it isn't really safe for DDing but on the track its really easy, and tests how smooth your inputs can be.
Yup, it could be ok on track - I'll proly try switching it out once at the track this spring to try it out again. What does your car weigh and how wide of tires to you run?

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Ok, I tested this myself by spending $14 on a shorter belt and bypassing the PS pulley.

Honestly, it is too heavy for me. It felt ok at high speed, but even then, it does take a lot of work to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees, or to turn quickly. Basically, I didn't find it safe for low speed in-town driving. You just can't get the car to react fast enough without power steering.

Oh well, it was worth my time to find out.

Makes sense, remember the rack on the car was designed with Power steering in mind. so although you can disconnect it, and it will keep steering the car, you may not be getting enough of the advantage of a true rack and pinion steering rack.

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
i ran 255's with a 9" wheel back when i raced the rsx. never got it weighed, but with the exception of the roll bar, most of it was stripped. also, instead of redoing the belts, you can unclip the sensor on one of the rack lines.

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i ran 255's with a 9" wheel back when i raced the rsx. never got it weighed, but with the exception of the roll bar, most of it was stripped. also, instead of redoing the belts, you can unclip the sensor on one of the rack lines.
Ok. Thanks for the tip about the sensor!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
if you want to see what its like without power steering just find a long straight empty road, go about 45-50mph, turn the car off, put ignition on II position, and try turning.

its really heavy and hard to steer quickly...
BUT im wondering if that is what it is really like without powersteering or will it be lighter with a true non-power steering unit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
its really heavy and hard to steer quickly...
BUT im wondering if that is what it is really like without powersteering or will it be lighter with a true non-power steering unit.
I don't think Honda produced a version of this car (or the Civic variants) without power steering. At least not in the USDM.

A true non-power assist unit would have a different gear ratio that would make it easier to turn at low speeds. The power assist unit has a ratio of about 15:1. A non-power assist unit would probably be closer to 20:1.

:vtec:

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
I don't think Honda produced a version of this car (or the Civic variants) without power steering. At least not in the USDM.

A true non-power assist unit would have a different gear ratio that would make it easier to turn at low speeds. The power assist unit has a ratio of about 15:1. A non-power assist unit would probably be closer to 20:1.

:vtec:
Yes, also at 45-50 mph there isn't much assist anyway, it's variable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts