Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you all here are hard core tuners to the type s. I need some advice for my setup. I only have a injen sri right now. I want to add some good power to my car. I don't care about 1/4 times. I just want something that will give a kick on my car when I run on the highways or an occasional hot lapping at my local raceway. I was looking at the toda n1 engine kit and was wondering do I have to compromise my factory realiability with this kit. Or I should just go for hondata, H/E. Any help be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
well pretty much anything you do to your car will in some way compromise your reliability. if you really want a kick out of your car i'd suggest the toda kit over H/E/hondata. But why the N1 kit? why not N2?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So has does daily driving feel like with the n2 kit? I see that it has a redline of 9k. I always have thought high rpm cars could not drive very well during stop and go traffic. :dontknow: I need to know before I start investing mods onto my car. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
well if you're going through stop and go traffic, you'll be keeping your revs low anyways. it does have a redline of 9k, which is supported by their upgraded valve springs (of course, i wouldn't recommend redlining it all the time). but before getting the kit, i'd recommend finishing your basic bolt-ons. Get a new exhaust system and a header, the upgraded cams will need the extra breathing. Also, if you for sure are going to get the toda kit, i wouldn't get the hondata reflash.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
No such thing as the Toda N1 kit.

The first Toda engine kit released used the Spec A cams. Now, the package uses N2 cams.

Anyway, reliability is a function of the owner, and nothing more. There's no reason that you can't rev an N2 powered K20A2 to 9k all day long and have the engine outlive the rest of the car, provided you properly maintain it.

Mod your car and have some fun, just take care of it.

As far as daily driving goes, the N2 kit has a VTEC crossover at 5000 rpm when load is under 75% throttle. It'll essentially be like driving stock, unless you get on it. The primary and secondary lobes aren't much different than stock, if at all.

You'll also want better tires if you're planning on going with the N2. Add a race header to squeeze more power out of it, and some transmission components to get that power down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm pretty sure that driving at constantly high rpm will wear your engine more, no matter how well you maintain it. True, the K20 engine is pretty sturdy, but the stock components aren't even designed to endure constant revving over the stock redline. Yes it won't blow up, but it won't last as long either.......

Bythat time, you will have traded it in..

·
Registered
59 Posts
tdsounds said:
Most of you all here are hard core tuners to the type s. I need some advice for my setup. I only have a injen sri right now. I want to add some good power to my car. I don't care about 1/4 times. I just want something that will give a kick on my car when I run on the highways or an occasional hot lapping at my local raceway. I was looking at the toda n1 engine kit and was wondering do I have to compromise my factory realiability with this kit. Or I should just go for hondata, H/E. Any help be appreciated! :)

my best request is adding the h/e, itr intake manifold, comptech header, nice 2.5 inch exhaust, fuel rail, fpr, and hondata 4

you will be FAIRLY quick. and it all stays right under the $2,000 bar.
or also adding the toda kit would be nice too.

-Deven :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Hey, as long as everything rides like stock unless I push I'm going to get it. I plan to get a greddy sp exhaust, some good tires, and a torque dampner from ingalls whenever it gets released. I think someone mentioned about a race header. How would that increase the db's for daily driving as I also don't want to ride around with a constant drone on the highway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
would a race header be better than a 4-2-1 header? or not much difference?

because i'm now stuck between the comptech race header and the spoon 2 piece 4-2-1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts