Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this topic has been covered before, but I just can't find it now. Since the day I picked up my car from the dealership, she has been running on premium. Now that I don't got so much money to spend on gas, do you think by reducing to regualr gas I will hurt the car's performance? I know that the manual recommmends bases to run on regular, but since my car is used to the premium, I'm just abit worried that it might not run as well. Should I pump regular or stick out a couple of extra change for the premium?

·
9,901 Posts
i always pick the middle octane (89). here in houston it goes 86, 89, 93...some 91 i'm not sure. someties i go back to 86 and dont notice much difference beside a slight decrease in mileage if u'r hard on the pedal.. but lately i've been getting REALLY good gas mileage (330/tank) compared to my normal of (260) with 89octane and i'm pretty hard on the pedal lately too. so i interchange in between stuff. before, i used to go premium but my gas mileage didnt improve and didnt feel much, if any, difference in performance. i have RP synthetic...maybe thats kicking in after 5k miles of use. used M1 before and didnt get much better mileage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I usually use mid grade...when I used premium and went to the drags, my car felt slower. I raced this civic si (i/h/e) and usually beat him by about 2 car lengths but the last time I went and raced him, it was more like a car length. He hadn't added anything either (supposedly anyway). Someone mentioned to me that using something like 91 or higher may decrease performance because our cars burn at like 88 octane...not sure about that.

As for using a lower octane, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt since our cars were made to run on that octane.

·
Registered
176 Posts
87 and 89 makes no difference on our cars (assuming u didn't boost it in any way). The technical difference is that a higher octane gas needs a higher temperature to ignite. More powerful cars with turbos generate much higher temperature in their engines while ours generate average heat. Due to the excessive heat, the engine might detonate accidentally, which ultimatly causes knocking. To solve this problem, those turbo-ed engines must use higher octane gas in order to prevent knocking. So the bottom line is that unless u go F/I, then save yourself some money by going 87.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm on my second tank of 86 octane after usually using 91. No noticeable performance difference but I'm getting a little knocking on steep hills (Tantalus/Round Top "tire testing"). Going back to 91 next tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only time you should be using Premium fuel would be if you've got Hondata. Other than that there are no gains by using anything other than regular..I actualy lost power when they dynoed my car on Premium fuel prior to Hondata. The car dynoed so much higher on Regular. Just my .02 cents

·
I <3 Red Stuff
1,128 Posts
yea if you're running a base, premium isn't necessary unless you have hondata or turbo. Someone posted an article about this over in seattlersx.com a while ago saying that premium is probably cleaner and healthier for the engine, but has proven to give no performance power what so ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.