Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new RSX (in Dec 2001) to enhance my commute to my new job (as of Oct 2001). My commute is now 90 miles roundtrip, and since many of those miles go right past the Florida Everglades, my new RSX is constantly bug-splattered. Since I'm also working long hours at this new job, I haven't been able to find the time to wash it down daily to get the bugs off.

Should I invest in the Acura nose mask to protect the paint (although I've read in other posts that the nose mask itself MAY cause chips in the paint) or just get several extra coats of wax on the front end and hope that does it?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
i wouldn't buy the nose mask, i had purchased it and the dealer ended up buying ti back off of me. first off, it was a bitch to get on and off.. it looks like it was designed way after the car because there really isn't spots to attach the pieces... the thing would also fill with water.. i know you're gonna get some water, but it was to the point even in the mornings after dew it would be all wet underneath and wouldn't dry for a day or so. it was more of a pain than it was worth.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
i heard that masking the paint for a few years would eventually make the covered and the uncovered paint a different shade since the sun and normal wear would cuz the paint to dull........ the covered would be shinier so removing it would look kinda weird......... i would recommend those clear stick on stuff.......... (dunno where to get it or what they are called...... but i am pretty sure some other people might be able to help you on that)........ they cover the bumper and some of the hood........ all you see is a slight line where it ends but they should work a lot better than the mask..........

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i think that product is called - X-pel or similar.

try the corvetteforum.com site - there have been a few posts there about it. or just do a "net search" - i know they have a site.
there have been good reviews -

·
Registered
157 Posts
esant said:
i wouldn't buy the nose mask, i had purchased it and the dealer ended up buying ti back off of me. first off, it was a bitch to get on and off.. it looks like it was designed way after the car because there really isn't spots to attach the pieces... the thing would also fill with water.. i know you're gonna get some water, but it was to the point even in the mornings after dew it would be all wet underneath and wouldn't dry for a day or so. it was more of a pain than it was worth.
Ya, I hear that. The second time I washed the mask, it went into storage. I think it looks good, so I'll hang onto it for when I sell it.

I also pulled of the moonroof visor...that's not a pain, but I take it off when I wash the car and decided to leave it off for the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, babyblue, this doesn't have much to do with the bug solution cuz I got the same problem as you. Actually, I drive thru the glades each day also to work (from Naples) and splotch up my arctic blue paint with bug juice quiet well. Send me a mail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts