Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in SoCal and the highest octane gas we can get is 91. I don't want the inconvenience of adding toluene or some other octane booster to the fuel every tank. If I only plan to run a 50 shot, do I need to worry about detonation?

Would switching to colder plugs help reduce the risk, or do they not have anything to do with he detonation problem? I miss Germany... 91 octane was the lowest up to 98 octane, but it also costs about $4.50 a gallon so I guess we don't have it so bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,410 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
I live in SoCal and the highest octane gas we can get is 91. I don't want the inconvenience of adding toluene or some other octane booster to the fuel every tank. If I only plan to run a 50 shot, do I need to worry about detonation?

Would switching to colder plugs help reduce the risk, or do they not have anything to do with he detonation problem? I miss Germany... 91 octane was the lowest up to 98 octane, but it also costs about $4.50 a gallon so I guess we don't have it so bad.
I can get 112 at the pumps here for $3.50... You MUST have lower prices at some track.. fill up some gas tanks and use 2 gallons per 10 of 91.

Az
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but you see I want to avoid the inconvenience of that. I have a long commute to and from work and I fill up several times a week. And there is not track close by for me to get gas. It would be easier and cheaper for me to just by toluene and keep it at home and put a gallon in for every tank. I would only like to do that if necessary though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
If you could somehow retard your timming a few degrees when the N20 kicks in...well that should prevent detonation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,410 Posts
mastap said:
If you could somehow retard your timming a few degrees when the N20 kicks in...well that should prevent detonation.
Yes, but you can't because of our mofo computer system. :(

As for not using higher octane? It's really up to you man.. If you don't mind peppering your system with chunks of piston go ahead! :)

Really.. I can't in good conscious say "..don't worry about, 91 is fine!"

Az
 

·
It tastes like BURNING!!!
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
So then, is one of those little bottles of Octane booster enough to keep it safe? I am also cursed with CA gasoline... I know there's a high-octane place not *too* far away from my house, and if I was doing any real racing I'd probably get that stuff, but for daily commuter nitrous use (;)), is the octane boost stuff enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
what enough octane to not worry about detonation?? i get 93 around where i live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
good then i have nothing to worry about, i'll be running a 50 shot in about a week or so :laughing: :wavey:
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,573 Posts
W/ a 35 shot you can run 91 or 92 octane w/ just cooler spark plugs. No need for higher octane.

50 is probably borderline... should be fine with pump gas though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,410 Posts
koala said:
W/ a 35 shot you can run 91 or 92 octane w/ just cooler spark plugs. No need for higher octane.

50 is probably borderline... should be fine with pump gas though.
You don't even need colder plugs bro! :D

35 shot.. I dunno..
 

Attachments

·
It tastes like BURNING!!!
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
AzaghalSEI said:


You don't even need colder plugs bro! :D

35 shot.. I dunno..
Just for curiosity, is there a downside to using colder plugs? I think I remember the NX website recommending a degree or 2 colder, non-platinum plugs (I could be wrong)... is there a downside to doing such a thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,410 Posts
Motab said:


Just for curiosity, is there a downside to using colder plugs? I think I remember the NX website recommending a degree or 2 colder, non-platinum plugs (I could be wrong)... is there a downside to doing such a thing?
Colder plugs generally means a minute change in horsepower. The benefit in heavy nitrous applications is that the plugs are less likely to melt... which would be bad, m'kay?

Also, you want to use iridium plugs - either Denso or NGK. I am running 100 shot, occasionally on just 94 octane, and with Denso Iridium IK24s, which are the equivalent of our stock plugs.


Az
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
what do you mean they are equivilant? And i thought you said in some of your other threads that you were running a mixture of fuel. so are you going with a 100 shot on 94 or not?
 
G

·
200 shot on 93 octane Amoco or Shell for me :) never had a problem (almost 3 years so far).

33 degrees total timing, 10.25 to 1 compression. What are these specs on the RSX?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
SSMOKEM said:
200 shot on 93 octane Amoco or Shell for me :) never had a problem (almost 3 years so far).

33 degrees total timing, 10.25 to 1 compression. What are these specs on the RSX?
Our timing is variable....so our computer varies the timing relitive to the driving conditions. This is somewhat of a problem because at WOT the timing of our car is advanced...which is the exact opposite of what you want to do when using N20.

BTW compression on the type S is 11.0.1
 

·
JLA Bitches!
Joined
·
14,394 Posts
Motab said:


Just for curiosity, is there a downside to using colder plugs? I think I remember the NX website recommending a degree or 2 colder, non-platinum plugs (I could be wrong)... is there a downside to doing such a thing?
Colder plugs generally will get a lot of carbon build up on it. This will cause the plug not to fire correctly or not fire at all. The reason is that cold plugs are better for racing, because you are running at a higher speed, so you'll never have the problem of carbon build up. When you are driving normally around town, the car isn't pushed as hard and thats where the build up comes from. So the downside is that it's not good for normal driving, but for racing it's perfectly fine. Don't take this information the wrong way though. two degree colder plugs aren't going to build up sooo much carbon just from a few weeks of daily driving. It'll take time to build up. Just open it up once in awhile to make sure it's okay. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Colder plugs will disscipate heat faster and prevent detonation from occuring. You can still melt colder plugs(trust me, I've done it several times in a turbocharged 240sx) if your cylinder pressure is excessively high. Plugs are a source of heat inside the combustion chamber, and when the intake charge comes into the chamber and hits the hot plugs it can autoignite and BAM............

The carbon build-up is due to the fact that under normal driving conditions, the colder plugs do not reach a temperature that's hot enough to burn off the build-up. Platinum plugs are a good example, but because they run hotter than normal plugs most tuners stay away from platinums. Maybe a colder heat range of platinums are OK, but your choices are litmited to Bosch and NGK for the types of applications we are running.
 
G

·
Hey mastap,

My PCM also varies timing, as does yours, but generally at WOT, you go to open loop where timing is pretty much a constant.

I use a Crane multi-stage retard, but of course I don't have multiple coils like I believe the RSX has. My normal WOT timing is 37 degrees.

Now, with 11 to 1 compression, you really should retard a bit, or use 100+ octane on the larger shots.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top