Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The other day me and my friend come back from the movies and the alluminum spoiler was stollen off his car, along with that thay keyed his car all the way down the side. is like the took their friggen time with it and everything. Is there any way to prevent a spoiler from being stolen. are special screws or somethng , or something like wheel locks. anything?

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
well spoilers like the wings west, jdm, and factory spoilers are all screwed in from the bottom but spoilers like your friends aluminum (i'm guessing gtr style or something similar) are just bolted in from the top of the car...so you shouldn't worry about a regular spoiler getting stolen because they would have to take much more time to either break into your car or cut the screws from the outside (slide a skinny knife or something in between the spoiler and the car to cut off the screw

·
The System...Is Down
1,186 Posts
The wing on the WRX actually has a steel cable that runs through it and loops into the trunk lid. That thing ain't going anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
It was a GTR, but can you go up through the bottom instead of the top, or would you have to do it custom syle?

how does the WRX spoiler cable thing work:confused:

·
The System...Is Down
1,186 Posts
there are two holes in the trunk lid that pass into two holes in the spoiler. Then there is a 1/8" steel braided cable that runs through the spoiler and connects to itself in the trunk. If someone ripped off the spoiler, they couldn't take it anywhere...

·
Registered
955 Posts
i dont think that GTR spoiler was stolen, it was prolly sitting behind the parking lot dump. this was clearly an act by JDM enthusiasts who condemn any soul who mounts an aluminum wing to any FF vehicle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
dumb question, why would they condem them yes i know its a universal spoiler, and jdm is way better, but what does putting a spoiler on a FF car have to do with it?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think the reason here is that FF car most likely will not get up to speed to utilize the spoiler's effects. And that's besides it being a FF thus needing more push into the ground in the front and not in the rear at high speed.

Basically it means that it's a functionless *rice* accessory.

Btw, I'm just explaining here.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
very understandable, thanx for explainging that, but you have to admit with the right spoiler, it can look pretty kick ass :laughing:

·
c e n s o r e d
568 Posts
Centicide said:
The other day me and my friend come back from the movies and the alluminum spoiler was stollen off his car, along with that thay keyed his car all the way down the side. is like the took their friggen time with it and everything. Is there any way to prevent a spoiler from being stolen. are special screws or somethng , or something like wheel locks. anything?
ARGH! I was at the movies this past weekend and my car was keyed too. I feel your friends pain. :jigglemad

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Centicide said:
very understandable, thanx for explainging that, but you have to admit with the right spoiler, it can look pretty kick ass :laughing:
I agree some spoilers look nice :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think whatever the car is FF/AWD/FR, they all will benefit from big ass wing at certain speed (it can be really low, depend on the seting of the wing). Those big ass wings will help any car's rear planted on the ground. So nope, it is not a "Rice" thing.

Try to find any real FF race car (Track, not drag) that don't have a big ass wing. I give some examples: RealTime Integras, 5Zigen RSX, etc.

·
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
1,767 Posts
Azh said:
I think whatever the car is FF/AWD/FR, they all will benefit from big ass wing at certain speed (it can be really low, depend on the seting of the wing). Those big ass wings will help any car's rear planted on the ground. So nope, it is not a "Rice" thing.

Try to find any real FF race car (Track, not drag) that don't have a big ass wing. I give some examples: RealTime Integras, 5Zigen RSX, etc.
Yeah, but that's the key..."race car's" are meant to hit higher speeds while racing so the spoilers benefit them. These huge spoilers on street cars do next to nothing at the normal speeds attained except add to the look of the car (either in a good or bad way :) ).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, I agree with you that it is useless on regular street, but how do you know cars that you see on street and call them "rice" are actually used for racing too. Not a lot of people have a dedicated track car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
But you could change the angles so that it would be more benificial to you at lower speeds. What if you wanted to go 80 on an on ramp. i have heard of people's ass ends slipping cause if you think about it on a FF there really isnt any weight on the back of the car. so wouldnt the wing actully even out the downforce if set properly?

·
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
1,767 Posts
Azh said:
Yes, I agree with you that it is useless on regular street, but how do you know cars that you see on street and call them "rice" are actually used for racing too. Not a lot of people have a dedicated track car.
I understand your point too...but I myself never called it rice. Based on my opinions I just don't like the look of huge spoilers. Also, around my area, 9 times out of 10 when I see a huge spoiler it's on a primered neon, Hyundai Accent, etc. Basically what I'm trying to say is that most of the cars I see with huge ass wings probably have never seen the track...or even know what a track is. :laughing:

I just don't see the point of putting on a large wing if your never going to get the "use" out of it by racing. If it's used for racing and it's beneficial to you, more power to you. To each his own!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts