Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sexy!!!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about finished removing everything but the last nut on the Intake manifold. The last nut just stripped right off and i cannot get it off. I tryed with a grippin tool and all I did was make it worse. I left the car overnight at my friends house so I could go buy a new nut in the morning but I still need to get the old one out. The nut is the upper left handed one. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

PS: I hate installing the img

·
Registered
974 Posts
whoa this is crazy I just installed my img tonight as well! everything went smooth though and let me tell you, it is extremely crazy how cold the intake mani stays after doing this mod!

·
I Love My Wife
2,738 Posts
you bastard!!! no, that's cool that you had good luck, I ALWAYS seem to have the worst luck when DIY.

The nut is completely stripped now, I've gotta get some professional help with it. I tried everything, went and got special sockets to remove stripped nut's and still nothing. Somehow the bolt just seized itself on there. Hope this shit doesn't end up costing a shitload

·
Rz
484 Posts
damn~~dat scares me~~ i feel very stupid as a automotive student~ everytime i install something on my car, it never went smooth. hope nothing happen when i install my img. well have u spray some PB blaster or wd40 before u take off.

·
I Love My Wife
2,738 Posts
i tried wd40, vice grips, and the special tools. Then I went to a local shop to return a steering wheel they ordered for me because it's the wrong one and spoke to their mechanic while I was there. He came out with a bigger set of vice grips and within three tries got it right off for free.

Crazy shit, that's why I work at the front desk at a hotel and he's a mechanic.

The two center nuts on the top are set in place with blue locktite from the factory. That + metal to metal heat transfer from the block to the IM make those 16 ft/lbs feel like 80 ft/lbs.

Good luck with the IMG, I'm right there with you enycerz:
-Scratched paint under "A" emblem during rebadge
-Snapped Vibra-mount during CAI install
-Stripped setting post during BuddyClub SS
-Got hair, dust, and runs when I was painting my IM cover black
-Nut backed out after installing Ingalls TD

This summer is dedicated to fixing all the shit I broke

·
408 and 831
647 Posts
whoa this is crazy I just installed my img tonight as well! everything went smooth though and let me tell you, it is extremely crazy how cold the intake mani stays after doing this mod!
duno if i installed it wrong or anything, but my mani still is extremely hot to the touch. are you testing it after a full hard run after a long day?

G

·
duno if i installed it wrong or anything, but my mani still is extremely hot to the touch. are you testing it after a full hard run after a long day?
It makes no difference, IMO. Everything in the motor bay gets hot. Depend on a good intake and good header + exhaust to make you power, not the plastic gasket.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
i tried wd40, vice grips, and the special tools. Then I went to a local shop to return a steering wheel they ordered for me because it's the wrong one and spoke to their mechanic while I was there. He came out with a bigger set of vice grips and within three tries got it right off for free.

Crazy shit, that's why I work at the front desk at a hotel and he's a mechanic.

The two center nuts on the top are set in place with blue locktite from the factory. That + metal to metal heat transfer from the block to the IM make those 16 ft/lbs feel like 80 ft/lbs.

Good luck with the IMG, I'm right there with you enycerz:
-Scratched paint under "A" emblem during rebadge
-Snapped Vibra-mount during CAI install
-Stripped setting post during BuddyClub SS
-Got hair, dust, and runs when I was painting my IM cover black
-Nut backed out after installing Ingalls TD

This summer is dedicated to fixing all the shit I broke

hahaha damn man i thought i had back luck with installs, i jsut have set backs compared to you.

Im planning on doing an IMG soon and hopefully i dont run into any setbacks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts