Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, i have a base auto with an hks turbo kit and an hks f-con pro.
this was all on the car when i bought it.

now within the first 1000 miles of me having it, this problem have gotten worse til the point where i can't drive it.

At around 2000 to 2300 rpm the car starts sputtering and spewing black smoke from the exhaust and the engine bounces between that rpm range and refuses to go higher. After a few seconds like that in first gear it usually goes past it, but anything higher than first, and i'm screwed. the only way i can even accelerate is by shifting into the next gear around 5K.

Please help me with this, this was up until recently, a very nice car, and now i'm stuck catching rides from others.

thanks

·
The Architect™
7,444 Posts
first of all, i have a base auto with an hks turbo kit and an hks f-con pro.
this was all on the car when i bought it.

now within the first 1000 miles of me having it, this problem have gotten worse til the point where i can't drive it.

At around 2000 to 2300 rpm the car starts sputtering and spewing black smoke from the exhaust and the engine bounces between that rpm range and refuses to go higher. After a few seconds like that in first gear it usually goes past it, but anything higher than first, and i'm screwed. the only way i can even accelerate is by shifting into the next gear around 5K.

Please help me with this, this was up until recently, a very nice car, and now i'm stuck catching rides from others.

thanks
time to do a swap it looks like. Trash the auto tranny and the a3 motor, get an k20a2 swap with tranny and Kpro and have fun

You should never boost a car unless you have a proper tuning solution and what you have now just doesn't cut it

·
61 ci now
3,335 Posts
archull is right, but I would pull your spark plugs, it sounds like it really fouled the shit out of them. and whoever sold you that car saw you coming. buying a turbo automatic rsx without researching anything about it, was truly asking for it. I'm sorry to say but you got pwned. Check your plugs and what now, maybe think about pulling the kit off and selling all of it to recoupe on some of the money you got taken for.

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
sounds like a nightmare, was this thing even tuned? or just slapped together?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like a nightmare, was this thing even tuned? or just slapped together?
probably not, i just found out that there are only like 20 places in the country that can tune the hks f-con and none are in this state. And i definately dont have the money for a full motor and tranny swap, thats out of the question.

thanks for the help though

·
DC5
1,338 Posts
well than save up money and get a trailer to the nearest shop. swap you tranny and get kprooooo.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Def check the plugs and see if they are fouled. If they are it's probably tune related. I wouldnt go as far as trashing the engine and stuff just yet. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing and have them look over it all. One of the most important mods you can do to a car is a good safe tune. I had a similar prob with my evo and come to find out it was the dumbass ppl that tuned it. Took it to AMS, got a dynotune and wala. Good as new :)

·
Banned
195 Posts
Oh, and if you do get it tuned, have them print out a chart of the dyno. Make sure it's got a nice smooth curve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, i'm just got off work and i'm gonna go check on those spark plugs, i have my fingers crossed hoping thats all. If not, the nearest shop that can tune this is in georgia.. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i checked it out, those cheap champion spark plugs that where in there are pretty much toast.

i ran out to autozone and bought some bosch +4's so i'll probably throw those in after the wife makes my dinner.

I'll see if that solves the problem.

:thumbsup:

·
61 ci now
3,335 Posts
i checked it out, those cheap champion spark plugs that where in there are pretty much toast.

i ran out to autozone and bought some bosch +4's so i'll probably throw those in after the wife makes my dinner.

I'll see if that solves the problem.

:thumbsup:
take the bosch +4s back before you put them in and get some NGK BKR8EIX's from http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/NGK-BKR8EIX-p-ENSP.html or your auto parts store. Bosch +4s are junk in a K series engine.

Again, you should ask for advice about what to buy if you're not sure. Running out and buying the shittest sparkplugs you can find, won't help your problem.

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
take the bosch +4s back before you put them in and get some NGK BKR8EIX's from http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/NGK-BKR8EIX-p-ENSP.html or your auto parts store. Bosch +4s are junk in a K series engine.

Again, you should ask for advice about what to buy if you're not sure. Running out and buying the shittest sparkplugs you can find, won't help your problem.
:iamwiths: robry knows his shit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
too late, i already threw those in and drove around. It definately fixed the problem for now, i'll see how they run and if i have a problem i'll switch to the NGKs. I suppose i should've asked first. I figured since they're great in my mustang they would be fine. Thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts