Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy has one and before he takes it to a shop and gets assraped on diagnostics, I figured i'd throw this up to see if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on what the problem might be. See email below. Yes, i know it's not an RSX but i'm sure somebody is well versed in Accords. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Honda Accord
5 speed manual
111,000 miles (i did get my 90,000 mile maintenance & always oil changes every 3,000)

Engine itself seems to run great while it does work.
I'll be driving down the street (sometimes on highway at higher speeds) and ALL of the electricity goes out in the car, resulting in the car to stop running and shut off. Always happens while im driving. The engine doesnt flutter off, but there's a second of just no electricity going through the car. I believe the electricity comes back right away, but i usally pull over and shut everything off anyway (radio, wipers, blinkers, air).
Sometimes it takes a couple minutes of me trying to start the car back up. When it first started to happen, the car would start back up right away. now it takes a minute or two. The check engine light (or any other warning lights) do not come on afterwords.
Sometimes when it starts again and i start driving, it shuts off again right away (5-10 seconds later).

Other times, after i get going for a little, it works great again like nothing happened ??? And the next day like it never happened ???
Tell me if you need any more information ?

I dunno - What the fuck - I need Help !!!

·
please neg rep me
98 Posts
u probably have a short somewhere , that used to happen to my 99 honda accord , the whole dash used to go out but the engine was fine, got a check engine light for trans failure , found out later it was a short in the automatic gear selector

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think it might be the alternator..my homeboy use to have a 2000 accord and that shit happeend to him when he was on his way to school.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Time to call the dealer, this should be a freeby fix if they haven't already performed it on that car.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 02V120000 - Hide Details
Recall Data: 05/16/2002
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Units Affected: 1000000

1999 HONDA ACCORD ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Recall Date: 05/16/2002

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected: 1000000

Notes: HONDA ACCORD

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time to call the dealer, this should be a freeby fix if they haven't already performed it on that car.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 02V120000 - Hide Details
Recall Data: 05/16/2002
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Units Affected: 1000000

1999 HONDA ACCORD ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Recall Date: 05/16/2002

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected: 1000000

Notes: HONDA ACCORD

awesome! Thanks a lot man. My friend will be happy to hear that

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
awesome! Thanks a lot man. My friend will be happy to hear that
No problem, I was only aware of it because someone described almost the exact to me a while back on another Accord. Suspicion at that point was the imobilizer in the key itself. They called the dealer and the dealer had them come in for the recall..

·
Registered
713 Posts
i had a civic hatch with the same problem as you... it started happening in hot weather, i did a research about it... found out there was a crack in one of the solder points in the main relay... which is somewhere by the hood latch opender under the steering wheel area... i resoldered it and the problem was fixed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts