Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an update to let you know current progress on the Hondata K-Series Programmable ECU.

See http://www.hondata.com/kprorelease.html for a more detailed description of the programmable ECU.

Briefly, we're on track for a late Feb / early March release date. All of the features we though would be available in the first version look like they will make it - tunable tables, bigger injectors, 11 lbs expanded boost tables, NO2 control, VTEC window and laptop datalogging.

One nice thing is that the stock o2 sensor used in US and JDM vehicle is wide band, reading from 10.5:1 A/F upwards. We'll calibrate the o2 sensor when we do the base calibration dyno work (this week) but it appears that it will be very useful for tuning. Thank you Honda.

Stay tuned...

·
baby buffett
13,383 Posts
ill be waitin for this one

·
Old member
2,641 Posts
We will be able to get rid of that CEL by disabling it right?

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
Doug, does the research and uncovered data on the Honda ECU, that is making it to the new ECU - will it also be incorporated into the traditional flash? Sorry for the convoluted question. In another thread you delineated several 'discoveries' about the ECU, obstacles that needed to be overcome, you mention something about the cams moving during a shift...? (Nothing like just showing everyone how ignorant I am).

Anyway. I won't be spending 1 grand on an ECU this year. I can, however, fanangle 595 bucks. I want to be sure that the latest and greatest is in the plain vanilla reflash too...

Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Disabling fault codes

I would guess the most common fault code is from removing the cat. With the programmable ECU you can remove this error code by disabling the OBDII tests (fuel tank pressure test, secondary o2 sensor etc). For off road use only.

In time some of the 'improvements' to the Honda ECU will filter through to the re-flash, but I don't see a drastic need as the re-flash works very well as it is.

Derek

(Stop calling me Doug. Both Derek and Doug post here under the username Hondata - even though it is Doug's picture used in the Avatar).

·
860 Posts
I have a question, I'm thinking about getting a Hondata #4 soon but I saw this thread. Would this ECU be much better than the #4 in ways more than being able to reprogram it? Should I wait for this or just go ahead and get the #4? Thanks.

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
Re: Disabling fault codes

Hondata said:

In time some of the 'improvements' to the Honda ECU will filter through to the re-flash, but I don't see a drastic need as the re-flash works very well as it is.

Derek (stop calling me Doug).
Derek, :laughing:

So when I should I buy the reflash to maximize my 600 bucks?.. when will it incorporate everything?

If you had been saving money for two years for a lousy stinking car mod, you might find yourself as hyper concerned as me! I want every penny worths.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Spy said:
I have a question, I'm thinking about getting a Hondata #4 soon but I saw this thread. Would this ECU be much better than the #4 in ways more than being able to reprogram it? Should I wait for this or just go ahead and get the #4? Thanks.
That is your call, but the programable will be a very nice option.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: Re: Disabling fault codes

benca1 said:
Derek, :laughing:

So when I should I buy the reflash to maximize my 600 bucks?.. when will it incorporate everything?
The flash is optimised for an intake and exhaust, and incorporates the best of our tuning to date.

But - cars vary in the way they are built and the add - ons they run.

A good tuner with the programmable ECU will always be able to make more power. I would say that the #4 flash gives you 80-85% of your maximum power potential. the rest would need to be tuned.

The greater variations you have - especially cams and forced induction, the greater the need for custom tuning.

There will be K series tuning seminars in early March. The dates will be announced in a couple of days.

Doug (Stop calling me Derek)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Re: Re: Disabling fault codes

benca1 said:

If you had been saving money for two years for a lousy stinking car mod, you might find yourself as hyper concerned as me! I want every penny worths.
What are you waiting for?! You are depriving yourself of much pleasure, my brother. The regular Hondata reflash has been tuned and retuned and is the best bang for the buck you can spend on your car, available now, today! If there are any more changes to it they would probably be minor tweaks... point of diminishing returns, you know? Like with anything there will always be a better product in the future... but why wait on the curb while everyone else has all the fun? :)

Programmable isn't for everyone. Some people need the simplicity of no-tune plug and play and bolt-on mods. The upgrade path to bigger and better is always there.

·
Washington Huskies
3,040 Posts
any need for the upgraded version of hondata w/ just cai, exhaust, and JR race header? im guessing not.

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Disabling fault codes

rsxmachine said:
What are you waiting for?! You are depriving yourself of much pleasure, my brother.
I'm sorry to make public my personal problems. 600 bucks... so close.... yet so far. I don't know what I'm waiting for. good point, I don't know why I'm harrassing Doug/Derek. It's not like I'm not going to get Hondata.

I wish they would just discount it by 50 percent! I'm trying to buy a Bay Area house... do you know what these things go for?

Hey Derek/Doug, need someone to wash your cars at 25 bucks an hour FULL RETAIL CREDIT!? You can't beat that.

Oh man. Forget dignity and self-respect. I'm a whore for horsepower, and I look down on drug addicts! What hypocricy!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Disabling fault codes

benca1 said:
Oh man. Forget dignity and self-respect. I'm a whore for horsepower, and I look down on drug addicts! What hypocricy!
well since you put it that way, and you live in the Bay Area... I know a way you can make some extra cash for that Hondata flash. That is, if you look good in a skirt and enjoy the company of drunken sailors.

·
Power of Dreams
3,036 Posts
Availability for the DC5R?

Doug or Derek or whoever else may read this at Hondata :),

What all is available for the DC5R Integra? Last time I went to the site and the last time I emailed, it was stated that nothing was out for the Integra R ECU. Also, will the programmable unit be available for the Integra?

Thanks for any answers,
Chris

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AnDylishus said:
when you say tunable tables and what not, does that mean that the current n/a flashes will be loaded as well as boost tables?
Yes.

Also, will the programmable unit be available for the Integra?
Yes, the reprogrammable system will work in the PRC (Japanese ITR) , PRD (Japanese CTR) and PRB (US RSX) ECU.

In the Japanese ECUs, you must disable via software the OBD emissions systems as the Japanese vehicles do not have the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor the US vehicles have.

Doug

·
Power of Dreams
3,036 Posts
Hondata said:
Yes, the reprogrammable system will work in the PRC (Japanese ITR) , PRD (Japanese CTR) and PRB (US RSX) ECU.

In the Japanese ECUs, you must disable via software the OBD emissions systems as the Japanese vehicles do not have the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor the US vehicles have.

Doug
Thanks Doug. Hmmm, so this would have to be the way I go if I want to go Hondata. As I just checked the site and still no regular flash for the PRC ECU. Or has the site just not been updated? Since there are already maps on the programmable unit, then I can just utilize these and later down the road I can have it tuned, correct?

Chris

1 - 20 of 160 Posts