Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the projector headlights with halos, but i've run into a problem and was wondering if anyone could help. in one of the headlights, the entire projector lens/unit fell completely misaligned. it just hangs and wiggles in place now. :( it feels like the the whole thing actually broke loose from the alignment adjustment screws on the back as the screws do nothing when turned. does anyone know exactly how these screws connect to the actual projector? would i have to open up the housing in order to fix this?

and if worst comes to worst, is there anyway to buy just one of the projector headlights anywhere?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
well this happened to me like fives times until i bitched and bitched to the shop and they gave me a new set :) anyways to help you, youd have to take apart the headlamp to put it back in it's place. Get directions for DIY blackout headlamps and when you take apart the lamp you will see what happened. The shitty back clips fell off the adjustment screw! They are so crappy...Take it apart, take your time, and never adjust your projectors to the maximum again..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iVtecMmm said:
well this happened to me like fives times until i bitched and bitched to the shop and they gave me a new set :) anyways to help you, youd have to take apart the headlamp to put it back in it's place. Get directions for DIY blackout headlamps and when you take apart the lamp you will see what happened. The shitty back clips fell off the adjustment screw! They are so crappy...Take it apart, take your time, and never adjust your projectors to the maximum again..

thanks! gonna try to see if i can get a new pair... unlikely... if not, taking it apart will be the biggest pain in the........ especially when the halos are spliced into the parking lights power cord... oh what fun this is gonna be. i did manage to screw the back clips back into the hole in the projector by holding it in place with a screwdriver then using another to screw the clip back in, but it's no longer straight... it always prefers to angle down... bleh...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to bring this back up to the top, but by request, i'm posting directions on how to fix this. pics attached...

ok so first off, you'll have to take the problematic halo projector out of your car since you'll need to crack these open by either baking them or using a heat gun if you have one. you'll also might want a pack of sealant to apply more sealant on when you reassemble them when your done.

if you'll be using the baking method:
-preheat the oven to around 200 of 210 degrees F
-place a towel on the rack in the oven so that the headlight is sitting on the towel and not the actual metal grill as to not melt indents on the headlight itself.
-leave it in there at 200 or 210 for 20 to 25 minutes
-take out the headlight. unclip the clips around the edge of the headlight and try to peal the headlight apart. i find using a flat head screwdriver to pry them open initially helps out

now when you get these open, you'll see that the projectors have 3 different locations where they're being held in place: 2 along the screws and the one ball bearing socket on the bottom inner corner. one of a couple of things could of happened with the alignment:

1) one or both of the clips fell off the screw holder attachments (see pics)
2) the ball bearing socket may have popped off (see pics)
3) a combination of the two

if the projector itself came off of the clip holders along the screws, check to see if you can just slide/pop it back into place. However, if it does so easily and can easily slide back off, i would screw off the problematic black clip holder itself and flip it around so the back flat end is now in the front as to hold it in place. so it wont be able to slide back off. i only turned one of them around as doing it to both will cause the same problem backwards.

if the ball bearing socket popped off, just pop it back onto the ball bearing again, but be sure the white plastic clip is securered onto the projector itself. so the projector doesn't slide off the white clip holder.

i find that either of these things tend to happen when pushing too hard when replacing a bulb trying to clip it back into place.

as soon as you've got everything back into place (MAKE SURE IT'S ALL SECURE) then put the cover back on, just have em stick together since by the time you're done, the sealant would've cooled. just put it back in the oven at 200 degrees again for about 20 to 25 minutes, take it out and clip the cover back on to the clips around the edges. may be a little difficult so a clamp and/or a flat headed screwdriver would help prying it back into place.

Attachments

·
No More Broken OEM Fogs
2,126 Posts
NICE!

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I will never max mine out. I think that they are pretty well aimed tight now. My Halo projectors do not have the ring around the lenses llike yours do. Where did you get yours? Brand?

D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts