Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I've asked about every other surface in my car, I might as well cover the carpets too :)

Can anyone recomment a good carpet protector and/or cleaner? Is 3M Scotch Gard pretty good?

I would really like to leave my carpeted mats in in the summer and put some all seasons in for winter, but I want to try and keep the carpeted mats looking thier best.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
ScotchGard is pretty good.
There have been a few warnings about toxic stuff in it that have negative long term effects, but I think they changed the formula last year to address that concern. In anycase, you're in a car on the road, I'm sure the air that comes in the vents has more pollutants than anything you spray on your carpets :)

ScotchGard is a protector, not a cleaner, so give your carpets a good vacuuming. I just use Bissell carpet cleaner and a solid upholstery brush to scrub it down.

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
ScotchGuard works good.. but 3M is discontinuing this product because it is hazardeous to your health.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
koalapeck said:
ScotchGuard works good.. but 3M is discontinuing this product because it is hazardeous to your health.
I don't think they are.
3M's official press release said that they are discontinuing some of the ScotchGard products and they they would develop substitutes for perfluorooctanyl sulfonate (PFOS - The potentially toxic chemical) by the end of the year 2000.

Seeing as it it now 2002, they probably have already released a new formula. Scotchgard for cars hasn't been phased out, which makes sense, it's probably on of their biggest sellers, they would put the new replacement chemical in the car formula first. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't mess with scotchguard much. I just use Woolite heavy duty carpet shampoo about once a month/when I wax. This works very well. Having black interior works even better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts