Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the MT article about it and it runs a T25 with built-in waste gate at 6.9psi on stock internals with compression ratio of 9.1 . I'd like to be able to run 5 or 6 on my base model. Since our compression ratio is 9.8, should it be OK with the stock internals? Also, since I'm not planning on running more than 6lbs of boost, should I just go ahead and get a T25 just like in the Protege or should I go bigger. Shouldn't something like T3-T3.5 achieve peak (for me = 6lbs) boost sooner than a puny T25?:laughing:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
yeah... i say go with a larger turbo. If you start with a T25 and later want more power, it can't be achieved with such a small turbo. Your better off getting a larger turbo, that way, if you come across more money, you can just upgrade the internals and increase your boost.
If you get a T25 you'll later regret it because you'll always want more power if you plan on going the Forced Induction route.

G

·
but if you are pretty sure you don't want more than 6 lbs... the t25 is the best option. it will give you that boost much easier and spool-up faster. also it should cost less.
but if you want to be the terror of the streets, go with a bigger turbo. i like the small turbo idea though. keeps the car civil and you don't have to rev the hell out of it to get boost.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I plan on getting a t25 if they ever come out...

G

·
20Spot said:
but if you are pretty sure you don't want more than 6 lbs... the t25 is the best option. it will give you that boost much easier and spool-up faster. also it should cost less.
but if you want to be the terror of the streets, go with a bigger turbo. i like the small turbo idea though. keeps the car civil and you don't have to rev the hell out of it to get boost.
:thumbsup: Exactly. I dont see why to get bigger turbo if you are only going for lower boost. turbo lag sucks. :dontknow:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
layzguy said:
what kind of gains could u expect out of a t25? from a base that is
You are suppose to gain more power from running a larger turbo even if you don't increase the pressure. The larger turbo will have a higher flow rate, and that equals to more power and less heat.

I think they have a T25 with ball bearing center section, and that's the one you want to get. You should see boost from as low as 2500rpm and full boost at about 3000rpm( the WRX don't see full boost until almost 3200rpm, but boost does begin at roughly the same rpm range at 2500rom).

I'd say the T25 is a much better choice for street driving, and it will give you that boost you need at the track. Since you redline at 7000 rpm anyway, you don't really need to worry about flow rates above that speed. By the time you are ready to move up to more power, you would need a new turbo anyway. Why spend the money now only to find out you you didn't need to in the future?

Gains? My 240sx Ka motor gained almost 100 hp with stock internals and a 9.5:1 compression running 8 psi of boost from a t3/t4(we need a bigger turbo because we have a larger dispalcement engine and more exhaust flow). I would say if you run 8 psi you should be able to achieve similar results, but much safer than a Type S turbo even though they run lower boost with higher compression.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
100hp? that would be great. i did a lot of reading of 240's and i was very close to getting one, i've noticed that the ka24de's just seems to be a more turbo friendly engine than the k20. again i wouldnt know technically, so i cant so for sure. but if 100hp can be gained from a "small" turbo that seems to be pretty good.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
layzguy said:
100hp? that would be great. i did a lot of reading of 240's and i was very close to getting one, i've noticed that the ka24de's just seems to be a more turbo friendly engine than the k20. again i wouldnt know technically, so i cant so for sure. but if 100hp can be gained from a "small" turbo that seems to be pretty good.
The T3/T4 flows a lot more than the T25, and the KA24 is also a bigger engine. A larger engine combined with forced induction cab produce amazing results.

The KA24 block is very strong, but owes its roots to the Pathfinders and pick-ups. Same block, different head. It doesn't like to rev, and it has LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNG strokes which makes high revving a difficult thing to achieve. You should look at the connnecting rods in the KA, they make John Holmes look small.

I'd say 100hp at the crank for the K20 should be pretty easy, especially at 9.8:1 compression. I am not sure how the pistons will take the abuse and I am not sure if your engine's cooling system is capable of absorbing and dissipating the extra heat. I'd add on an oil cooler for sure, and maybe check into Fluidyne for an aftermarket radiator for extra protection. Even if you don't achieve 100 crank hp, the extra torque will make driving a lot more fun around town.

Oh yeah, and praying on unsuspecting victims like a E36 M3 or Mustang GT can really make your day.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
thanks a lot for the info.

do u have the s14 or s13?

my dream was to purchase an s14, do the s13 sr redtop swap and get the s15 front end conversion. it would have cost me less than the rsx, but in the end i went for the rsx. i still wonder what would have been though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to use a FMIC on the RSX's (or how efficient it would be) considering the A/C heat exchanger and radiator are both mounted up there as well. There's only so much airflow (and space) for all three.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts