Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, thought I would write this up. About a month ago My loving wife gave me a Quaife for our aniversery.....Shes a keeper!:love: Well I got it installed buy Albert in Certified Racing with a new excedy stage one clutch. Here is what I have noticed....Quaifes are not spools or disk style dif's. That is if you get one drive wheel off the ground or in sheet ice, you will just spin one wheel like a open dif, but that being said, I love this thing. As many of you know I have a blower and a ton of suspension mods, I also like to autoX. Here are how I see the differances in the car...

Big long turns: In stock form, I could use the tq of the blower to make the turn wider. You just had to step on the gas and the driving and turning tires in the front would give way and you would just drift wider and wider. With the quaife, you get on the gas and the car digs into the turn and seems to want to make the turn tighter. Power induced understeer is just plain gone at sane speeds....What is happening is once the outside ft tire is overwhemed, the dif is shifting power to the inside wheel allowing you to put down more power in the turn..... :thumbsup:

Real tight turns: In stock form, I would just toss the car into the turn, do a quick lift on the gas, to bring the tail around. Any use of the gas in the tight turn = mad understeer, so you had to pick a entrance speed and wait till you were done with the turn before you got on the gas. With the Quaife, you can now power out of the turns, in fact the car trail brakes like crazy now.:thumbsup:

S turns: In stock form, I would just pick a speed for the first turn, unsettle the car a little( trail brake or throttle lift) to squair off the turn, go full gas to the next turn and repeat. With the Quaife's way of putting down power in making turns tighter, S turns can be handled with a lot less work( and chances to mess up) and a lot more speed carried over from each turn....:thumbsup:

DD driving: Ok in stock form, starting from a stop on a hill was stupid, there was almost no way to get going with out a tire churp....not good when you are next to a cop:noes:....pulling on to short hiway ramps had to be taken with care also, sitting and spinning tires is not a good thing when there are cars comming full bore down on you....:run: With the Quaife, power goes to the ground.:chuck:

This is a great mod, worth every penny imo.:thumbsup:

Reactions: spoonyfreshh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool, but how do you churp tires on a hill when waiting at light?

I ask only because it doesn't happen to me.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tq is a bitch.......:eek:

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
NIce write up hon -- cause i only read the first line... j/k glad u r happy with your new toy.:love:

Reactions: dylan si

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quaife LSD FTW!!!

Did you have to brake your in? Reason for me asking is because I have an EP3 5 Speed with the Quaife LSD in my 02 RSX-S and for the fist month or two in the morning when I would start my drive to work, for the first 10 miles or so my transmission would make a winding noise. When I contacted Quaife in England , they explained that the diff needed to be broken in. What is your take on this?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quaife LSD FTW!!!

Did you have to brake your in? Reason for me asking is because I have an EP3 5 Speed with the Quaife LSD in my 02 RSX-S and for the fist month or two in the morning when I would start my drive to work, for the first 10 miles or so my transmission would make a winding noise. When I contacted Quaife in England , they explained that the diff needed to be broken in. What is your take on this?
no, I did not have that issue.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
400, wih the install of a clutch and the replacement of the clutch housing. I cracked my clutch housing by driving to far on a failed front motor mount....I also had all the big bearings replaced in the trans.:pimp

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
400, wih the install of a clutch and the replacement of the clutch housing. I cracked my clutch housing by driving to far on a failed front motor mount....I also had all the big bearings replaced in the trans.:pimp
this isnt bad at all.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Quiafe ATB LSD was the best mod I have done to my EP3. To my knowledge, the UK EP3 Civic Type-R is the first Type-R to be sold without an LSD fitted. I almost crashed mine on a bend I know very well when it was wet just after I got the car. We get a lot of rain over here so it is a must to fit one of these!

Great review mustclime! I am in total agreement!

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Quiafe ATB LSD was the best mod I have done to my EP3. To my knowledge, the UK EP3 Civic Type-R is the first Type-R to be sold without an LSD fitted. I almost crashed mine on a bend I know very well when it was wet just after I got the car. We get a lot of rain over here so it is a must to fit one of these!

Great review mustclime! I am in total agreement!
I thought they had the honda lsd.....

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0205scc_2002_honda_civic_type_r/index.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
The UKDM does not have the LSD fitted. JDM does and is much better spec. I don't know about the one in the link above...It is left hand drive so is not a UK model. Honda UK let us down with this car, it should have been better from the factory. They made it to sell lots rather than to follow true Type-R tradition. I had a DC2 Integra Type-R before the Civic and it was much better in stock form. But then, it did cost 40% more, so you get what you pay for.

There is no serial number riveted to the centre console like in my old DC2 Teg. The EP3 CTR is very common over here, maybe the plates would need to be too large to fit all the digits in, or maybe just Honda UK cost cutting AGAIN!

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dam, I have even seen Top Gear shows with them talking about the lsd in the type-r.....that sucks.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts