Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
yada, yada
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from service, dealer said nada to using Mobil 1 5W30 syn bacause of warranty concerns...I won't take the chance. The only 5W20 syn I can find locally is Quaker State. Any body use? Still has to be superior to non synthetic? Just got oil change so if I change out for this should I change oil filter?

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
ive had issues with quaker state, but ive never used the syn. i would be a bit weary if i were you.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
i'm using it right now, don't see any troubles other then it is 6.99 CAD for 1.78 liters i think!

D

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
i work for shell lubricants (parent company of quaker state) honestly it is a good oil, i think mobil 1 is the best of the "affordable" oils (not including amsoil or redline for price reasons) but QS does compete pretty well against M1 and valvoline. they also offer a 250k limited warranty.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
coldrsx, it sounds like the dealer has a problem with 5W30, not M1.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
^the reason is that acura doesnt like to go out of OEM requirements....the k20a3 is designated a 5w20 weight as it doesnt rev high enough to warrant 5w30.

But the funny thing is....acura recommened to me that i change to GM synchromesh for my tranny during the same initial servicing.

Good thing i do all of my fluids myself.

·
Low Key
3,136 Posts
coldrsx said:
^the reason is that acura doesnt like to go out of OEM requirements....the k20a3 is designated a 5w20 weight as it doesnt rev high enough to warrant 5w30.
What bout base owners using Hondata. Wouldnt it make sense to use the 5w30? Either way, I dont think it will change much, just what is better for ur car in the long run.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
coldrsx said:
But the funny thing is....acura recommened to me that i change to GM synchromesh for my tranny during the same initial servicing.
they recommended GM synchromesh, now that's odd. i would think they recommend "approved" mtf.

although when my wife's prelude was having tranny problems mainly minimal grinding i swapped the fluid with synchromesh and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Sorry to hijack your post , but i have a question i got my rsx with 3miles , when do i change the oil at 3k or 2500?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
every 4-5000miles is good....

HAPA DC5- gm synchro is so much nicer....except in cold winters where it becomes too "sticky"

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
5W20 for the base rsx??
boy did i miss that???
thought it was 5W30..
isn't honda oem engine oil 5W30 anyway?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
If M1 was not available , I would use an other syn(QS, Pennsoil, Castrol) which would be better than a dino any day. The first change should be NO SOONER than the normal/severe interval.

·
yada, yada
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Capbill said:
If M1 was not available , I would use an other syn(QS, Pennsoil, Castrol) which would be better than a dino any day. The first change should be NO SOONER than the normal/severe interval.
QS it is then :thumbsup: Got the oil & filter change like three days ago...ok to change out oil without changing filter or does syn not like dyno :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
coldrsx said:
HAPA DC5- gm synchro is so much nicer....except in cold winters where it becomes too "sticky"
yes it is, i think when my tranny interval is up i might be tempted to swap synchromesh in there. plus i have that dreaded notchiness going into 3rd in my '04 type s, no grinds though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts