Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mercy is for the weak!
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I like bass and miss the subs in my old accord. I'm convinced that to satisfy my needs I dont need subs but, a quality set of speakers with proper sound/vibration deadening.

I've been trolling around and really couldnt find an answer to my question.

Right now I'm running stock type S bose system. I have my headunit pick out (Kenwood x991). I just want to put in some nice components and rear speakers.

I know the front is 80% of what you hear but I want the full experience and hate mixing and matching shit.

I'm generally looking for advice as to whats a quality product that will fit with the least effort.

Thanks.

·
Entrepreneur
1,323 Posts
eD v6000 is a possibility or everyone knows I love the Alpine Type R's =)

EDIT:How much are you willing to spend. Then we can give you a better recommendation.

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
Question is are you going to amp the speakers as even with a good aftermarket HU you still do not have enough power to efficiently drive a good set of comps and would be wasting money on a setup that would most likely be less loud than the stock setup.

·
ABP REPPIN!
2,051 Posts
i believe the best interior speakers you can buy are alpines, they make the best head units and speakers......

i would do 4-6.5 alpine type X's, with an alpine HU alpine HU's come standard with 6v rca pre-outs......all the power in the world there.....those typeX's can do like 250 watts RMS @ 4ohms...

then get you a nice alping amp, and match it up with 1 12" alpine type X, thats good for 1200 watts RMS @ 4ohms....

hope that helps

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
i believe the best interior speakers you can buy are alpines, they make the best head units and speakers......
Yeah You might want to tell that to A few companies speaker companies like Focal, DLS, Hybrid Audio, Genesis, CDT, Seas, Scanspeak, or Dynaudio whom all make better units than alpine does, in fact Scan Speak builds the F#1 Status and Type X speakers for Alpine.

Hu's please the Kenwood X991 is better than anything in the Current alpine lineup with the exception of the 9887.

·
ABP REPPIN!
2,051 Posts
Yeah You might want to tell that to A few companies speaker companies like Focal, DLS, Hybrid Audio, Genesis, CDT, Seas, Scanspeak, or Dynaudio whom all make better units than alpine does, in fact Scan Speak builds the F#1 Status and Type X speakers for Alpine.

Hu's please the Kenwood X991 is better than anything in the Current alpine lineup with the exception of the 9887.
pioneer is better than kenwood :)

·
Entrepreneur
1,323 Posts

i would do 4-6.5 alpine type X's, with an alpine HU alpine HU's come standard with 6v rca pre-outs......all the power in the world there.....those typeX's can do like 250 watts RMS @ 4ohms...

then get you a nice alping amp, and match it up with 1 12" alpine type X, thats good for 1200 watts RMS @ 4ohms....

hope that helps
Easy easy I love alpine but there deffinetly not the best, but they are pretty good. Also I would deffinetly get eD amps because they seem to be about the best bang for the buck.

·
Knockin' Bitches Over
79,532 Posts

hope that helps
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: thanks for the laugh

·
Mercy is for the weak!
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Question is are you going to amp the speakers as even with a good aftermarket HU you still do not have enough power to efficiently drive a good set of comps and would be wasting money on a setup that would most likely be less loud than the stock setup.
Well, I'm not buying for loud, I'm buying for quality, with quality comes the crankability.

I wasnt planning on amping at first but I suppose I should. I'm just concerned it would maybe be too loud, if there is such a thing. I understand the cleaner the power the better the sound but I was under the impression I could either switch and use the head unit or continue to use the stock bose amp for the new speakers.

I know the kenwood unit can have the internal amp turned off for this reason.

The eD comps are what I will probably be getting for the front, I suppose I should keep it eD in the back as well.

How is are the fitment of the eDi 6000 comp setup, tweeters specifically?

As far as how much I'm willing to spend, I'm not really sure. I can build the system over time. At this stage I wanted to get the speaker choices out of the way. I guess I'm willing to spend about $450ish for components, set of rears and amp.

I cant seem to find a set of 6.5s on the eD site that don't include tweeters..

Anyway thanks for the responses, hope you guys can further help.

·
Registered
317 Posts
you need to cut a little for the EDi 6000 comps. the tweets fit in the stock location, but sound kinda harsh - I moved them to the kicks-

make sure to seal up your doors also or else you won't get any midbass. you can always run the 6000 coaxle style if you want to use them in the rears but I wouldn;t run anything back there

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts

hope that helps
I am a HUGE Alpine fan, but everything you said in your post is totally incorrect.

No Alpine headunit has a 6 volt pre out. The highest is 4 volt. I don't think they ever made anything over 4, ever.

Type X mid/tweets have a power handling of 80 watts RMS and 240 watts peak.

Type X 12" sub has power handling of 1000 watts RMS and 3000 peak.

As for not needing a sub....you just can't get the full audio spectrum or sound experience without one. You may get decent sound but it will always sound better with a decent sub. You don't have to go big but even a 10" in a small box is better than nothing.

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,201 Posts
yet again. save the $ and don't bother with the rear speakers, if your looking for a quality sound experience.

spending 450 on some nice front components will make your ears much happier.

·
Schrodinger's handywork:
1,990 Posts
Always wondered whats going on with high end head units these days. There becoming scarce. I remember when sony(yes, sony) sold high end head units(I believe it was called the ES series) for a 1000.00$ 7-8years ago that contained specifications like 4-burr brown converters and all this other shit that I dont really understand but when you played a CD you could truly tell the difference in sound quality. Now, sony head-units cater to the cheap bling crowd. Morever, pioneer isn't really making high-end head units either. I used to have a pioneer DEX-P99 and from my point of view one of the baddest head units for its time. It had a 12-band adjustable eq(with a spectrum analyzer), with built in crossovers of course, 3 4volt pre-amps, sound field processing, and countless others features that I just didn't know how to use. I guess what I'm asking has technology gotten so cheap that features such as the above are cheaply integrated into headunits so thats driven the prices down or have the markets just changed to the point where high end head units aren't in demand anymore bc of in-dash navi, dvd's ect.....?

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts
I agree, there's little in the way of high end decks nowadays. If you want high end head units, look at Alpine's F#1 Status, or the CDA-9887. Kenwood still has some really good stuff, with quad Burr-Brown DAC's, 5 volt gold plated pre-outs, etc.

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
I agree, there's little in the way of high end decks nowadays. If you want high end head units, look at Alpine's F#1 Status, or the CDA-9887. Kenwood still has some really good stuff, with quad Burr-Brown DAC's, 5 volt gold plated pre-outs, etc.
Also most of the good High end gear that companies make is not available for the US market as the larger companies found that the average US consumer will not pay for it, That is the Main reason Denon dropped out of the US car audio market and whe you don't see things like Pioneer's Carrozzeria line, Kenwood's Emotional Sound, or Eclipse's Sound Monitor line in the US as the Asian market is willing to fork out 2K for a HU on a regular basis but in the US most have a hard time with 350 which is why Alpine has capped their regular line at a 350 list in the US as has Kenwood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts