Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
iSauce- Tons of it 4vr
35,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of post about ITB's and even on honda-tech.

I assume they are Individual throttle bodies. ( am i right) what is the benefit of this. how is it done? i see alot of people talking about them. but i guess being a all motor newbie. i never asked

thanks

·
- - - - - - -
3,186 Posts
Yes, you are correct, ITB= Individual Throttle Bodies. Read the other previous posts under Edo, and the one at the top of this list in this N/A Forum called "itb itb". 4 are a hell of alot better than 1.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
It takes a hell of a lot of tuning, and you really need to have a lot done to your car to need such a thing. Yes 4 is better than 1, but I dunno if it would be great for a daily driver. Basically it's going to take a ton of work and time, plus a standalone most likely, in order to tune it to work properly. More power to you if you want to do it.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I'm not convinced it absolutely requires all that much custom tuning. Here is a dyno of a K20A2 w/ Toda kit & ECU program, custom race header, 50mm TWM ITB's

·
Registered
252 Posts
TypeSFanatik said:
I see alot of post about ITB's and even on honda-tech.

I assume they are Individual throttle bodies. ( am i right) what is the benefit of this. how is it done? i see alot of people talking about them. but i guess being a all motor newbie. i never asked

thanks
Individual Throttle Bodies are capable of running as smooth as stock as long as the engine management system is tuned properly. Tuning requires fine adjustment to the EMS and will require the use of a simple fuel controller, but tuning is not as excessive as people think. The thing is, atleast half of the people who buy ITB's lack in such precise tuning therefore are discouraged from it.

EDIT: Forgot to state this in my original post. The Toda ITB can be used on street driven cars, but are in no way street or emissions legal. (That is if you're concerned about that)

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
rsxmachine said:
I'm not convinced it absolutely requires all that much custom tuning. Here is a dyno of a K20A2 w/ Toda kit & ECU program, custom race header, 50mm TWM ITB's
Well, the Toda ECU is designed with Toda's sports injection kit (ITBs) in mind.

These new fangled TWMs come with vacuum reservoirs and everything. Us old folks run on TPS based load, which the stock ECU simply cannot handle, even modded (Hondata included). I use the AEM PEMS.

Many cars come stock with ITBs, so yes they can run just as nicely as a stock setup.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
qtiger said:
Well, the Toda ECU is designed with Toda's sports injection kit (ITBs) in mind.
I don't know where you get that info, the Toda Kit ECU is tuned for a standard CAI.

according to their website:
The TODA Sports Injection kit requires a fully programmable engine management computer, modification to the engine wiring harness, and fuel injectors. If you need more information, we recommend reading our Individual throttle body FAQ.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
rsxmachine said:
wow, thats alot of power for a dynojet. Do you know what other mods he had?

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
swwifty said:

ITBs will net a lot of HP. I have seen the TWM setup on an H22a that gave a boost of around ~28hp over a CAI and port-matched IM.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
BigDawg said:
ITBs will net a lot of HP. I have seen the TWM setup on an H22a that gave a boost of around ~28hp over a CAI and port-matched IM.
good grief, maybe I should get ITBs instead of new cams!

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
swwifty said:
good grief, maybe I should get ITBs instead of new cams!

Well...

a)They are expensive as shit.
b)A lot of times they require you to cut your harness and rewire it.
c)You will still need a stand alone to get your a/f levels maximized.
d)You will not realize the kind of gains that I am speaking of running on ITR cams.
e)You will have to also find a method of filtration. Signal use to sell filter socks for ITBs, but don't know if they still do. I have seen the Toda ITBs with a carbon fiber plenum with an inlet for a regular intake. In that case you could run a OEM type intake(icebox, CAI, whatever) and the ITBs, but it would not show the same gains as an open ITB setup thanks to air volume and velocity.

f)Thats all I have to say about that (doing my worst Forrest Gump impression).

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
swwifty said:
other than the fuel setup to work with the ITB's I think that was pretty much it (at the time)... tranny & axle upgrades stuff like that... the amazing thing is that this k20a2 is not in an RSX, and will be making even more power soon

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
rsxmachine said:
other than the fuel setup to work with the ITB's I think that was pretty much it (at the time)... tranny & axle upgrades stuff like that... the amazing thing is that this k20a2 is not in an RSX, and will be making even more power soon
So that was when K20EG ran on the dyno? Doesn't he have a K20A? I always thought he did. Oh yea, and aren't those the Toda ITBs?

Sorry for the battery of questions, but I have a video of that car on the dyno and always wanted to know more than just what I had heard through the grapevine. I downloaded it to hear how it sounded. Two words can describe it:Loud and Mean :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
nope he has (or had) K20A2/Toda kit and TWM ITB's with a one-off header. I think the fuel was adjusted for the ITBs with a VAFC. there are also videos out there of him beating a modded WRX & 5.0

a lot of this is discussed by the serious tuners on H-T, I just happen to know the guy cuz I bought the Toda hardware from him

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
rsxmachine said:
nope he has (or had) K20A2/Toda kit and TWM ITB's with a one-off header. I think the fuel was adjusted for the ITBs with a VAFC. there are also videos out there of him beating a modded WRX & 5.0

a lot of this is discussed by the serious tuners on H-T, I just happen to know the guy cuz I bought the Toda hardware from him
Yea, I read the posts on H-T sometimes, but there is also a lot of crap to sift through there.

I guess that happens here to though :laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts