Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the official installation instructions, the factory rear camber specification for RSX's with A-Spec suspensions is 0°. Now, when I installed my Type-R suspension with only a 3/4" drop, I ended up with -1.5° camber in the rear.

The A-Spec suspension drop is 1", so it unless it has a different upper control arm, the camber in the rear should be even more negative.

My question is, does the A-Spec kit have a rear upper control arm as part of the official "kit"? If not, how do they achieve 0°?

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Stock rear camber isn't 0 degrees, in fact, 0 degrees would make your car handle like shit. You want some camber in the rear. Both your rear camber readings are green, meaning that they are within spec.

-1.5 is fine as long as toe is 0, tell them to fix your rear toe a bit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. What I am trying to do is find a solution for correcting excess rear camber that doesn't involve an aftermarket camber arm.

I thought that the conventional wisdom was that rear camber should be half of the max camber you can obtain up front (up to -2°)?

In my case, the rear camber essentially matches the front. That would result in more rear grip (understeer)?

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Thanks for the response. What I am trying to do is find a solution for correcting excess rear camber that doesn't involve an aftermarket camber arm.

I thought that the conventional wisdom was that rear camber should be half of the max camber you can obtain up front (up to -2°)?

In my case, the rear camber essentially matches the front. That would result in more rear grip (understeer)?
There is no solution besides an aftermarket camber kit. I don't think the Type R one is longer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no solution besides an aftermarket camber kit. I don't think the Type R one is longer.
For the Type-R, I don't think so either, but I am asking about the A-Spec. The Type-R rear suspension had different LCA's so no use comparing them.

Acura had to do something to make it possible to achieve their specified 0° rear camber with the A-Spec suspension. I am simply asking what.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
For the Type-R, I don't think so either, but I am asking about the A-Spec. The Type-R rear suspension had different LCA's so no use comparing them.

Acura had to do something to make it possible to achieve their specified 0° rear camber with the A-Spec suspension. I am simply asking what.
Do you know for a fact that Aspec RSXs roll off the lot with 0 camber or are you just reading it out of a manual? What companies put in their manuals is different than what happens in real life because they need to CYA. As far as I know, ASpec does not have a different camber arm and ASpec it pretty similar to the Type R suspension. Judging by your previous thread, the Type R arms are a bit longer, giving you about -1 degrees rear camber, which sounds reasonable.

What it comes down to is
1) Either live with it
2) Get an adjustable camber arm

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 0° camber knowledge was from a Acura specification for the A-Spec.

I've come to the conclusion that your two options are likely the only ones..

Thanks for the input.

·
Late Apexer
5,168 Posts
why are you so against getting an adjustable rear arm?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because I have read several posts that indicate they do not last very long (6-8 months). For that lifspan (and price) it's surely not worth the aggravation!

·
Late Apexer
5,168 Posts
I've had mine on for 6 years. Only issue I have is the OEM bushing on the knuckle being shot; but then it was on its way out when I added them. Granted I don't live where it snows, however there are several companies that make aluminum ones. Otherwise slather it in chassis wax.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Zzyzx is a little biased because he doesn't get a lot of snow or salt. Rear adjustable camber arms in Michigan weather may not be "adjustable" that long, but they still work. For instance, my rear camber arms have frozen, but they were already set at a more acceptable camber setting than OEM.

Again, either deal with the high camber or get a camber kit. There are no other options unless you design a solid OEM style camber arm yourself.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,264 Posts
I just wanted to share my diy A-spec installation results, as I was under the impression as well that the A-spec alignment specs of -0.583f and -0.166r (I converted degree seconds to decimal) were automatically achievable without intervention. Little did I know that a rear camber kit was for taking out camber :face:. Noob :laughat:

So anyways, here's my super-duper Acura dealership performance alignment. This was achieved with 1 pair of front camber bolts that I put in maxed out. I have not been able to check if they cammed them correctly as it too dang cold to do any more work in the garage. If they were done correctly, I'ma add another pair to the bottom.

Unfortunately they already cleared the Before specs even though I asked them to let me compare the difference. But, on the upside, apparently when I reinstalled my subframe during my clutch installtion, I successfully slammed the subframe forward and got a boatload of caster! Dynamic camber FTW! :thumbsup: Later found out 2nd gens have more caster by design.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.