Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I got blown!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here and on www.hidforum.com, but came up with nothing. I installed a hid kit in my car on the 'JDM' knock-offs. Basically, it came out looking terrible because there is no cut off, like OEM HIDs. i was looking at my father's Lexus and his has HIDs on refloctor types, like ours (not projectors). So, i looked under in the middle of the headlight (the part that comes out and the bulb goes into) on his car and there is a metal reflector/cover that blocks the light going down. So, i wanted to open up my lights and do the same. i figure it will make the cut-off better and minimize on glare. If anyone can follow my rambling and kinda understand where i'm going with this, please contribute.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
BlackandBlue said:
I did a search here and on www.hidforum.com, but came up with nothing. I installed a hid kit in my car on the 'JDM' knock-offs. Basically, it came out looking terrible because there is no cut off, like OEM HIDs. i was looking at my father's Lexus and his has HIDs on refloctor types, like ours (not projectors). So, i looked under in the middle of the headlight (the part that comes out and the bulb goes into) on his car and there is a metal reflector/cover that blocks the light going down. So, i wanted to open up my lights and do the same. i figure it will make the cut-off better and minimize on glare. If anyone can follow my rambling and kinda understand where i'm going with this, please contribute.
Did you install real HID convertion kit, or just the blue bulbs? IF it's a real HID kit, where did you get it from?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
i wouldn't mess with the reflector pattern on the ligths....those things were professionally engineered...if you play with them you won't get it the exact way you want it and you could mess it up worse

·
PEBCAK
547 Posts
so how do the JDM headlights get a cutoff if they are also not projectors, but reflectors? i tot that only projectors get cutoff?

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
you'll never get as crisp a line as a projector light nor as a OEM headlight will get because yours aren't. I don't have a crisp line but its defined enough plus mines not as crisp cause I pointed my lights up a little cause they were pointed at the ground.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If they are really JDM Knock offs they will always aim upwards to the left. Thats how real JDM headlights aim. They are a pain in the ass....

·
I got blown!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a real kit. it has phillips ballasts and bulbs. i got it from a car audio shop near my house. My problem is, when it is angled up enough for me to see, i blind people. the way they are angled, i can see, but not much better than my halogens. I'm not looking for a perfect line, i just want to be able to angle them up more without the beam glaring up at people faces. like when they are lit up against the wall, you can see the cut-off, but there is a good amount of light above it still. I just figured if i block the light from the bottom of the bulb, it would minimize on the stray light above the cut-off. My only problem is mounting the peice of metal to block the light (i'm not touching the actual reflector). Since it gets like 300-500 celcius, i dont think soldering it would be a good choice. The lights are made by Depo and i got them cheap off of ebay. So, if i mess them up, i wont be too upset.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Dont do that! Dont take apart the lights and mount a metal refletor. Its not going to work unless you are ..... an expert! Anyways, i think you should try to adjust your headlights just by turning the knob and see if that works. But your trying to tell us that when your hid buld is installed, you can actually see the bulb from the outside of the headlight? Thats not right....there is always a reflector, maybe you put your bulbs in crooked?

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
staticfree said:
so how do the JDM headlights get a cutoff if they are also not projectors, but reflectors? i tot that only projectors get cutoff?

like this:

·
I got blown!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can't see the bulb. I'm saying that the light reflects on to a wall and is not clean at all. Does anyone have a picture of what the JDM HID lights look like, a close up of the low-beam lense? if you look at it from the bottom of the light, looking up, i want to see if there is something blocking the light like i think there is. I really like the HIDs, they are just a waste of money if i can't get them to work right. I tried adjusting them, but i can't get enough light in front of the car without blinding people. I have seen projector placed in the light housing, but i dont want that. The JDMs are nice, but way too expesnsive and the HID kit i have now is a waste of money. ggrrrr... i should never have bought them.

·
I got blown!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont have a picture because i took out the whole housing and then took one of the housings apart, but yes and no. the beam pattern is the same, but it also has refractions that shine up, a few stray bars of light above the cut-out and it is not even that shrp of a cut off.

·
I got blown!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
only the JDM HID units have a sharp cut-off. they are in the first pic that eyezonly posted.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
when i get my digital camera back i'll take shots of my GENUINE JDM with XENONDEPOT 6K bulbs..

the cut off is pretty much similar to the JDM-HID

·
-------------------------
5,640 Posts
Blackandblue,

Everyone that installs aftermarket HID's in their stock housing has the same problem with "no cutoff".

Our headlights were not designed for HID output and therefore lack the proper shielding in order to block the light from hitting the bottom of the reflector. If you look at your dad's headlights closely, you will notice that there is a shield that covers the bottom belly of the bulb, it looks like a "U" shape. The bulb sits inside this shield, and in a reflector, you'll need that shield in order to get a nice cutoff. I was considering making shields and installing them into my headlights but I am just going with a projector retrofit.

I asked for close up pics of the JDM housing a while back but didn't get any, I want to see if the JDM lights have this shield.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts