Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, more i play with this more questions are coming up. Well i was comparing the k20a2 stock fuel maps with k20a2 cai fuel maps, they seem to be identical. Should not they be different. I picked up spots on same cam degrees, and rpm compared them and isaw the same fuel numbers for the stock and the cai map. Even the redline on the stock calibration was 8600, and the vtec cross overs were the same as CAi calibration.

Moreover, then i went to the itr flash, did the same thing and they all look the same. Am i missing something here? :dontknow:

By the way, i tried printing the whole graph from both calibrations, and that seems not to work. It prints blank page. :dontknow:

Did anyone realise the same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, they really look close but actually they are not. At some points they differ. Still, the rev limit and the vtec cross over is the same tough between the stock calibration and the cai calibration. So i guess the stock calibration in the software is actually not that stock then. Sorry for the confusion. I am just new at this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about printing. Did anyone manage to print the tables etc. I tried but, it just prints a blank page with a small header.

And another question, is it a good idea to turn the MIL on, so that i can see if there is any knocking or not. I know it should not knock right now with especially flash4. But for later.
 

·
Internet Crack Dealer
Joined
·
22,304 Posts
I tried with no luck, not sure why that won't work.

It is a good idea just so you know. You might get some knock everyonce in a while but it should be few and far between. I have it on because I want to know, esp right now with just starting to set it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try datalogging yet? I was wondering like when you drive, and shut the car off, do you loose the logged data, or the ecu records it? Then, does the car have to be running when you are trying to get the logged data.

another thing bothers me is i read on several places saying that Type S oxygen sensors are good enough for AF ratio readings. And some readings say that they are not accurate. Whats the deal? Are the original sensors good enough to read the AF ratio on the dyno?

I am assuming there will be another update for printing. Printing comes handy when you are comparing 2 tables from different dyno runs as you know.

thx

AK
 

·
Internet Crack Dealer
Joined
·
22,304 Posts
REDLINE JUNKIE said:
Did you try datalogging yet? I was wondering like when you drive, and shut the car off, do you loose the logged data, or the ecu records it? Then, does the car have to be running when you are trying to get the logged data.

another thing bothers me is i read on several places saying that Type S oxygen sensors are good enough for AF ratio readings. And some readings say that they are not accurate. Whats the deal? Are the original sensors good enough to read the AF ratio on the dyno?

I am assuming there will be another update for printing. Printing comes handy when you are comparing 2 tables from different dyno runs as you know.

thx

AK
You can do a datalog and save it to a file and watch it over and over. I have not played with it on my RSX because it drains the battery in my current laptop really quick (like less than 2 minutes) because it is a huge screen.

The RSX's front O2 is a pretty good wideband. It is not the best for actual dyno tuning but it works great for making sure the ECU is at the proper air/fuel ratio. Not sure if that makes sense.

I agree, I would like to see the printing feature work. I will ask Hondata about it.
 

·
And sheppards we shall be
Joined
·
43 Posts
Hondata just released a new revision, maybe that will allow printing of the tables, but I haven't tried to print any yet.

I do have a couple of questions that maybe Hondata or Chris you can answer. After finally getting the chance to play with my new toy I was looking through the fuel trims in the cai tables and am curious why there is a 3% fuel trim in only cylinder 3? Also in the same program I noticed that on the high speed cam angle that at 7400 rpm wer're advanced 25 degrees then at 7700 it gets retarded to 20 then at 8000 advanced again to 25? Just curious on this.

Hey Chris get a Sony K-Series laptop to go with your K-Pro. I picked up one the other day and it works pretty good, datalogged a trip from Security to the Farmcrest up off Garden of the Gods and still had plenty of battery life.
 

·
Internet Crack Dealer
Joined
·
22,304 Posts
Just tried it and it didn't work. I have an email into Derick to see if we are doing something wrong or if it is not active yet.

The #3 cylinder is the hotest one out of the four. Since it goes, 1,3,4,2 the number 3 gets the heat from the 2&4. By adding a little extra fuel, it helps keep it cooled down and around the same temps as the other 3.

What you are seeing is what the engine likes to do. We might do some stuff up here that actually changes that setting, but that is what Hondata has found to be the best cam angle at that time in the power cycle.

I have a few laptops around here and I am going to try once of those. If they are not much better I might have to get something else with a small screen and 3 extra batteries for the track this year.
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
REDLINE JUNKIE said:
I was wondering like when you drive, and shut the car off, do you loose the logged data, or the ecu records it? Then, does the car have to be running when you are trying to get the logged data.
The ECU does not record any datalogging. It creates the data values, but it is the K-Series ECU Manager software that reads the data and stores it in a file on the laptop.

So in order to log data the laptop needs to be connected to the ECU via a USB cable, datalogging must be on, the car must be running, and you then need to save the datalog file. You can log as much data as you want as there will be plenty enough space on the hard disk to store what is really just a text file.
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
REDLINE JUNKIE said:
Never mind, they really look close but actually they are not. At some points they differ. Still, the rev limit and the vtec cross over is the same tough between the stock calibration and the cai calibration. So i guess the stock calibration in the software is actually not that stock then. Sorry for the confusion. I am just new at this.
Here's what you do: Crank up Microsoft Word and open the calibration files. They are simple text files. You can then use Word's compare function to see exactly where two different calibration maps differ.

Yes, the nomenclature is a bit confusing. From what I understand, the "stock" calibration is really a dyno-tuned calibration similar to the Hondata reflash. The "CAI" calibration is similar but, as the name implies, tuned specifically for a cold air intake. I think Hondata indicated elsewhere that a true stock calibration will be included in the software very soon.

Incidentally, the thing that puzzles me a bit is the low 4,300rpm VTEC point in the stock and CAI calibrations. That's a big difference from the 5,200 point of the Hondata 4 reflash. The way I drive, I often shift around 4,500 in daily relaxed driving, but not so often in the mid 5000s. So with the VTEC point at 4300 I'd go into VTEC even before my normal shift points. With Hondata 4, I only go into VTEC when I want the power and shift at higher rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
blustreak said:
Hondata just released a new revision, maybe that will allow printing of the tables, but I haven't tried to print any yet.

I do have a couple of questions that maybe Hondata or Chris you can answer. After finally getting the chance to play with my new toy I was looking through the fuel trims in the cai tables and am curious why there is a 3% fuel trim in only cylinder 3? Also in the same program I noticed that on the high speed cam angle that at 7400 rpm wer're advanced 25 degrees then at 7700 it gets retarded to 20 then at 8000 advanced again to 25? Just curious on this.

Hey Chris get a Sony K-Series laptop to go with your K-Pro. I picked up one the other day and it works pretty good, datalogged a trip from Security to the Farmcrest up off Garden of the Gods and still had plenty of battery life.
Thanks for the heads up on the new version. That's a new version almost every week so far. The help tables are slightly improved as well. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
conradb212 said:
Here's what you do: Crank up Microsoft Word and open the calibration files. They are simple text files. You can then use Word's compare function to see exactly where two different calibration maps differ.

Yes, the nomenclature is a bit confusing. From what I understand, the "stock" calibration is really a dyno-tuned calibration similar to the Hondata reflash. The "CAI" calibration is similar but, as the name implies, tuned specifically for a cold air intake. I think Hondata indicated elsewhere that a true stock calibration will be included in the software very soon.

Incidentally, the thing that puzzles me a bit is the low 4,300rpm VTEC point in the stock and CAI calibrations. That's a big difference from the 5,200 point of the Hondata 4 reflash. The way I drive, I often shift around 4,500 in daily relaxed driving, but not so often in the mid 5000s. So with the VTEC point at 4300 I'd go into VTEC even before my normal shift points. With Hondata 4, I only go into VTEC when I want the power and shift at higher rpm.
Good info, I really like the 4300rpm x-over and haven't moved that yet. I am still trying to even out the fuel and ignition maps on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
specialk75 said:
I can get it to datalog , and when I hit record it starts recording it , but from there I don't know where to go to see what I recorded. Help please.
When your done recording, simply save the file and open it up under the datalog menu to view it anytime. hth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
K20A2 said:
Just tried it and it didn't work. I have an email into Derick to see if we are doing something wrong or if it is not active yet.

The #3 cylinder is the hotest one out of the four. Since it goes, 1,3,4,2 the number 3 gets the heat from the 2&4. By adding a little extra fuel, it helps keep it cooled down and around the same temps as the other 3.

What you are seeing is what the engine likes to do. We might do some stuff up here that actually changes that setting, but that is what Hondata has found to be the best cam angle at that time in the power cycle.

I have a few laptops around here and I am going to try once of those. If they are not much better I might have to get something else with a small screen and 3 extra batteries for the track this year.
I haven't had a problem with the IBM thinkpad and I reacall that info about the #3 cylinder and using fuel trim to cool it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
REDLINE JUNKIE said:
Did you try datalogging yet? I was wondering like when you drive, and shut the car off, do you loose the logged data, or the ecu records it? Then, does the car have to be running when you are trying to get the logged data.

another thing bothers me is i read on several places saying that Type S oxygen sensors are good enough for AF ratio readings. And some readings say that they are not accurate. Whats the deal? Are the original sensors good enough to read the AF ratio on the dyno?

I am assuming there will be another update for printing. Printing comes handy when you are comparing 2 tables from different dyno runs as you know.

thx

AK
I also would like to know about the accuracy of the stock O2 sensor, Doug did mention that it was wide enough to tune with, but there was some discrepency in the seminar to say it was not as keen as was believed. :confused:

With printing, I use the screen capture method, which is not as savy as a built in method.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
conradb212 said:
Here's what you do: Crank up Microsoft Word and open the calibration files. They are simple text files. You can then use Word's compare function to see exactly where two different calibration maps differ.

Yes, the nomenclature is a bit confusing. From what I understand, the "stock" calibration is really a dyno-tuned calibration similar to the Hondata reflash. The "CAI" calibration is similar but, as the name implies, tuned specifically for a cold air intake. I think Hondata indicated elsewhere that a true stock calibration will be included in the software very soon.

Incidentally, the thing that puzzles me a bit is the low 4,300rpm VTEC point in the stock and CAI calibrations. That's a big difference from the 5,200 point of the Hondata 4 reflash. The way I drive, I often shift around 4,500 in daily relaxed driving, but not so often in the mid 5000s. So with the VTEC point at 4300 I'd go into VTEC even before my normal shift points. With Hondata 4, I only go into VTEC when I want the power and shift at higher rpm.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top