Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Question about preparing for Boost...

1K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  bluesiTYPER 
#1 ·
I know there are a lot of threads like this, and I did search, but nothing quite hit the spot for me...

My question is, what mods would be the best to get if future plans are going either turbo or supercharger (most likely turbo).

However, don't answer my question with any suspension suggestions, I've read it and I know that I need an LSD ect., I just want to know what I can buy now, that I won't need to replace later.

For suggestions, follow this example if possible.

Example: Exhaust, Brand name, reason, price.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

#5 ·
i would assume your getting a cybernation setup. Personally i would never boost any engine with 11:1 compression id get some forged pistions and rods first and foremost and plop that turbo onyou be able to turn the boost up more than the guys with 11:1 and wont be pissin your pants afraid of cracking the block. Also the biggest thing that goes wrong with turboes is a bad tune and a bad Air fuel ratio. I dont know much about turbos cuz ive never delt with em so im just talking about what my friends have gone through.

#7 ·
Turbos and roots style superchargers are completely different animals..you need to decide on what kind of power you are looking for (not necessarily the hp number), and that will make the decision for you..

As far as the motor build, there are a lot of different things you need to think about to decide what to use for your build..for example, how much power are you looking for ultimately?? Is this a daily driver??

Depending on what your power goals are with the car, the parts used can vary..

Fuel tuning is one of the most important parts of a turbo setup, whether it is high or low compression..ignition tuning is also a very important part of the setup that is often overlooked..

Your builder/installer should discuss these things with you before building/installing for you so that you are aware of the possibilities and restrictions per your specific setup..I usually have a conversation with my Customers before we complete a build to get info as far as what goals and expectations they have so that everyone is on the same page from the start..

Although web-boards are a great place to throw ideas out there and get some knowledgable answers, as a machine shop I can tell you that I see everything under the sun come in, so talk to the builder..they know what works and what doesn't..we see it every day, and know the REAL reason for why setups do and don't work :)..

#8 ·
Well it's most likely going to be turbo, just a matter of what brand...it is indeed my daily driver and my goal is to put about 275 to the wheels, but keep the car as reliable as I can. Suggestions?

#9 ·
Well, there are plenty of build options for you, but concentrate on some of the problems you may encounter, and since it is a daily driver, you'll want that to point you in the proper direction for compression ratio:

I do recommend building the engine with forged internals, even though I do also have Customers with stock internals that have run setups for quite some time with no problems..This comes with fuel tuning and the ability of the driver to understand/diagnose tuning issues that come from turbo setups and to keep the vehicle properly tuned in changing weather conditions..With reliability, you want to look at overall longevity as well, which is why I mention building the engine..

As far as parts, Wiseco, JE, and SRP are all great choices for pistons..I've built plenty of setups with all of these pistons with successful results..

Eagle rods should be fine for your setup, they will handle that hp number you listed well..they come with ARP rod bolts..

Upgrading head bolts is a wise investment as well..

I also highly recommend the use of a block guard for the setup..these stabilize the bore very well, and are a good option for those not looking for the hp numbers in which sleeving would be mandatory..

Depending on the turbo kit you choose, fuel management will differ, although if you do not plan on employing a wide-band O2 sensor full-time, I would definitely recommend that you dyno-tune the vehicle and learn engine behavior to look out for to keep your turbo car happy..

As far as compression ratio, on a daily driver I would try to stay around 9.3 - 9.5:1 compression..this will give you low-end drivability and ample use of a wide power curve..as well as a good power maker in boost situations..

And of course, a clutch kit is a must for longevity as the factory clutch tires quickly with constant beatings..

Tuning, tuning, tuning..can't emphasize enough..tuning!! :)..

That should give you a start of some things to think about..Once you make a decision on what turbo kit to buy, you can decide more..

#10 ·
keep in mind ryursx your talking about big bucks here,, especially rebuilding the bottom end and going turbo id say your looking around 6g's+ im guessing...
id figure out first how much im willing to fork out then go from there..

#11 · (Edited)
If things go as planned for me, I should have about 8Gs come summer time, which is when I'm planning on doing this work. I'm now hung between the turbo or getting a new car entirely. Turbo is so hot though.... :laughing:

Thanks for your response blue....I noticed you said your customers, do you own a shop? And if so, where? If local or nearby I'd like to stop in sometime.

#13 · (Edited)
No problem RyuRSX..

Yes, I do own a business specializing in Honda/Acura builds..Extreme Import Tuning..We currently operate out of an automotive machine shop in Newport, DE (near Wilmington)..We are also planning another installation facility in Newark, DE within the next month..Our website should be back up within the next week so I will send you a link once it is if you are interested (our webhosting company went out of business so we are in the process of transferring to a new one)..

We build many of the local street/strip cars in the N. DE area and have have a couple of sponsored Customers as well..We offer full machining services and high performance builds, as well as bolt-on installation services..

As far as sponsorship, we are offering extremely discounted machine work in return for advertisement for those heavy into the race/show scene for selected vehicles..

Our new installation location will be the open store-front for Customers, so again, within the next month or so should be set up for that..As of now, we are very busy with the machine shop location, so we are taking Customers on appointment..I will definitely keep you updated..

#17 ·
rSaTvEeVrE said:
sigh.
no comment
Good, keep your mouth shut.

bluesi definately send me the link when the site is back up and running. I'd be interested in planning the entire setup before hand, this way all I would need to do is buy it and hand you my car :driving:

#19 ·
nos

#23 ·
They're going to help me pay for it actually you jackass. And at that point, I won't care about the warranty, I'll just be happy passing you by as you stall and burn your clutch out at the line.

#25 ·
bluesityper, Does your shop install the JRSC and Turbo kits? If so can you give me a round about price for install of each. Im in south NJ and I am thinking about getting the JRSC or turbo but I can not locate anyplace that will install it.

#26 ·
marcs23,
Thank you for your interest. Yes, we do install both turbos and superchargers. We also offer complete engine building services if you were interested now or in the future..This includes bore & hone, assembly, parts, port/polish & valve jobs, and other specialty services.

I have PM'd you with estimated prices on the different turbo/blower installs. Once you decide exactly what your setup will be, we can discuss any other optional parts you may want to look into getting and get you a formal quote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.