Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One part of waxing is unclear to me. How long are u supposed to "rub it in"
It doesnt say in the instructions and different ppl have told me different things. Someone said just apply and wipe off, someone said really exxagerate it and rub it into each spot for a long time. Im not sure which is the correct way, whether the "just apply and wipe off" will get anything done and whether wiping the same spot for so long is bad for the paint. Any advice is appreciated thx

·
Registered
159 Posts
dump a little wax on an applicator pad, then start rubbing in circular motions ovr the area. jes a light layer will do. wait for wax to dry a bit, then jes wipe if off. it should come off all powdery.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,812 Posts
If you want to get a good shine....dont just apply in circles. The top part on your car like the hood, roof, hatch should have the wax applied in a straight motion from the back to front. The sides of the car should get wax applied in an up and down motion in straight lines. This is what i do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are polishing then it matters how much you "rub it in." If you are applying a glaze wax or sealant, you just need to get it coated with wax.

Rule of thumb- let the polish/ wax/ sealant do the work. Don't expect a sealant to do a polish's job and vice versa. Each type of wax has a specific purpose.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
sithlord said:
dump a little wax on an applicator pad, then start rubbing in circular motions ovr the area. jes a light layer will do. wait for wax to dry a bit, then jes wipe if off. it should come off all powdery.
You are correct to suggest a small amount of wax on a foam applicator pad. Applying in circles is not a very good idea however...this will promote swirl marks.

Apply in straight lines, following the natural lines of the vehicle. When you buff, wait till haze and then buff in the opposite direction, also in straight patterns.

·
Registered
336 Posts
it also depends on what kind of wax u are using. some waxes want u to leave em on for a few minutes and some want u to remove em right away or just wait till it dries to a light haze but not dries completely that it becomes powdery (is that a word?). What kind of wax are u using btw?

·
The conscience of ClubRSX
8,538 Posts
toxicvtec said:
If you want to get a good shine....dont just apply in circles. The top part on your car like the hood, roof, hatch should have the wax applied in a straight motion from the back to front. The sides of the car should get wax applied in an up and down motion in straight lines. This is what i do.
I thought you're supposed to war in circles, but wipe off in straight lines, w/ the sides of the car from left to right; front/top/back of car from front to back.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
when you buff the wax, do not feel like you have to press down and buff really hard. just be consistent and change buffing towels frequently. also, wax and buff one section of the car at a time- doors, hood, hatch, roof,...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts