Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my '02 type S in for some new brake pads and the 60K mile service. Car is all stock.

They called me this afternoon and said in a test drive, they heard noises that make them think the left front wheel bearing is on the way out.

That is news to me; I haven't heard a thing. Haven't been specifically listening though...

I'm going to ride in the car with them tomorrow morning see if I can hear what they are talking about.

There is 58,xxx miles on the clock now. Thats a little early for the wheel bearings to be crapping out, no?

I'd rather not get taken for a ride here, of course... anything more I should know about wheel bearings before going in? Anything specific to the sound of one going out on an RSX? Thanks for any input.

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
The noise you will hear on test drive ,,for wheel bearing ..a growling noise will be heard ... It will change considerably with the shifting of the car from side to side as the weight shifts ...putting more weight on the bearing.. hence 30 to 50 mph swerves to the right load on left side ...swerve to left load on right side ..sound/ pitch will change ... indicating which side bearing is bad.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good advice. The shop can also put a dial indicator on the wheel and check the runout and any play in the hub. I had a FWB go out at about 60K miles, but that was mainly due to a loose spindle nut. The RSX wheel bearing has a split inner race, so it relies on the torque of that nut for proper alignment.

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
well really they are spose to last a long ass time but given conditions, how hard it is driven are all factors to consider so yea it could b bad at ur mileage, for a bearing to b bad u have to hear noises or feel vibrations, if u dnt hear or feel anything then take it somewhere else for a second opinion

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks guys, I'm heading in there now, so we'll see what I can hear. Also if they have to order the part, it will not be here till sometime late this week anyhow, so I'll have a few more days to evaluate it on my own.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I messed my wheel bearing(s) on the driver's side of my car. I pulled a 180 by accident when the roads were slightly wet. The wheels on the driver's side hit a small curb at the same time as each other. Now when I'm driving at a decent speed and/or changing lanes, i hear a vibrating/grinding noise..bump bump, bump bump if that makes sense.

How much am I looking at dishing out for a new wheel bearing if that is the problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well unfortunately the techs were all busy, so I didn't get to ride with one. On the way home I listened real closely, and I can hear some tire and road noise of course, but none of the grinding/growling that is normally associated with bad wheel bearings. I don't have any other RSX's to compare it with though. I think I'm going to try to get a second opinion.

They quoted me about $220 per wheel to replace them, iirc.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
Take your car in for an assessment. There are plenty of parts that will bend before you damage the wheel bearing. You might get lucky and only need something small followed by an alignment.

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
just have someone drive the car for you and you drive in another car on the either side, and you'll find out i guess. That's what we did on my dad's lincoln towncar....that sound was soooo annoying. it got so loud in the cabin around 30-50mph, my ears were going to bleeeed. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thats just the thing; I don't hear any noise that I wouldn't have categorized as normal road noise. I still don't.

Maybe I can find someone else local with another RSX that I can drive and see if I hear a difference.

I did see someone with a silver-ish car (not sure of the exact year or trim level), slightly modified looking, with a "ClubRSX" sticker on Hwy. 123 between Clemson and Easley a couple weeks ago.

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
Well thats just the thing; I don't hear any noise that I wouldn't have categorized as normal road noise. I still don't.

Maybe I can find someone else local with another RSX that I can drive and see if I hear a difference.

I did see someone with a silver-ish car (not sure of the exact year or trim level), slightly modified looking, with a "ClubRSX" sticker on Hwy. 123 between Clemson and Easley a couple weeks ago.
lol maybe there isn't wrong at all, and the dealership tech were wrong...:dontknow: I'm not sure if finding another crsx member would help, cuz what if that person doesn't know how it sounds like? lol

Anyway, next time you get in your car, see if you hear a gradual "whirring" sound. If not, i'd safely say your car's fine for now and don't worry about it. GL

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
what sound does a bad wheel bearing make? cuz when i go down my driveway my car makes a squealing sound, and ocassionally i can here a sound similar to when bad brake pads are applied

·
06 PWP Type-S
1,267 Posts
mine has this scratching noise and it's getting worse everyday, It's something similar to brake pads when they are about to be done, at least this is what I have

1 - 17 of 17 Posts