Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm just wondering how do you go about removing the wheel hub after you've removed the caliper and rotor? My reason for asking is I want to get rid of the dust shields and it seems the hub has to be removed to do this. I looked at the helms manual (p 888/section 18-14) and it says that the hub and knuckle need to be separated via use of a "special tool" or "hydraulic press" - given that I have neither (nor do I know what either is) I'm just wondering if there's any other way to go about it?

Other than that, I'm wondering what people's opinions are on removing the dust shields. The only thread I found with info on this notes that it should have added cooling effects on the brakes (big plus) but to be wary of the lower ball joint being exposed to added heat as a result. The thread I'm referring to is here:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=498410&highlight=dust+shield

Thanks!

·
Charlie Echo
39 Posts
Do you have a legitimate reason for removing the dust shields? You need a puller to remove the hub. A slide hammer should get the job done in the front and if I'm not mistaken the rear is just bolted on. After that go to town and let me know all the wonderful benefits of not having them there.

·
0 Posts
No opinion on whether or not there is a performance benefit but as far as removing those dust shields goes, it is just a couple of Phillips screws holding them in place. You can access them directly by just removing the caliper and rotors.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Removing the dust shields is a good idea for a car that is tracked regularly. It will cool the brakes better. Don't pull the hub, thats a lot of work. Just cut the dust shield at the side where it is thinest (around the caliper I think) so that it forms a C instead of an O and then you can remove the screws and slide the C-shaped dust shield off the knuckle.

I left my dust shield on because I used it to anchor dedicated brake ducts to the center of the rotor hat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No opinion on whether or not there is a performance benefit but as far as removing those dust shields goes, it is just a couple of Phillips screws holding them in place. You can access them directly by just removing the caliper and rotors.
Really?? Craaaaaap, I think I need better lighting when working on the car lol. So just to verify, from looking at the helms there are 3 of 'em and they are facing outwards correct? Also, because I suck at figuring out the diagram in the helms manual, those screws are located around as opposed to under the hub correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removing the dust shields is a good idea for a car that is tracked regularly. It will cool the brakes better. Don't pull the hub, thats a lot of work. Just cut the dust shield at the side where it is thinest (around the caliper I think) so that it forms a C instead of an O and then you can remove the screws and slide the C-shaped dust shield off the knuckle.

I left my dust shield on because I used it to anchor dedicated brake ducts to the center of the rotor hat.
Hey jim, I guess related to my response to erik for what reason would I need to cut the shield in order to access the screws? My assumptions are that the screws are visible once you remove the rotor and calipers and that they face outwards. Haha, thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a legitimate reason for removing the dust shields? You need a puller to remove the hub. A slide hammer should get the job done in the front and if I'm not mistaken the rear is just bolted on. After that go to town and let me know all the wonderful benefits of not having them there.
lol if I didn't know any better I'd swear I could detect just a tiny hint of sarcasm :p. At any rate, better cooling of my brakes = my hope at a 'legitimate' reason for removing 'em. Some less legit reasons = never again having to worry about accidentally bending a dust shield and dealing with that really annoying scraping sound, plus I can shave off the weight of a candy bar, though I guess I could not wear a watch in order to get that same effect... If there's something that I appear to not understand I'm afraid you'll have to be more forthright with me, my noobiness with all things mechanical makes me oblivious to all other forms of commentary lol.

·
Charlie Echo
39 Posts
lol if I didn't know any better I'd swear I could detect just a tiny hint of sarcasm :p. At any rate, better cooling of my brakes = my hope at a 'legitimate' reason for removing 'em. Some less legit reasons = never again having to worry about accidentally bending a dust shield and dealing with that really annoying scraping sound, plus I can shave off the weight of a candy bar, though I guess I could not wear a watch in order to get that same effect... If there's something that I appear to not understand I'm afraid you'll have to be more forthright with me, my noobiness with all things mechanical makes me oblivious to all other forms of commentary lol.
Yessir, there was a tad of sarcasm there, but get rid of that candy bar's worth of weight. After a long drive you're gonna crave one. I know I do, Snickers are the truth. I like your reasons for wanting them gone as my mind has thought along those lines at times. Take pics when you're done.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The phillips head screws are behind the hub face plate (the face that has the lug bolts sticking out of it). You have to remove the rotor to get a good view. I don't have an RSX anymore so I can't remember if you can get a screw driver in there easily or not, maybe one of those right angle screwdrivers or just a pair of vicegrips on the head. You can use tin snips or a dremel to cut the dust shield off in the form of a C so you can get it off around the hub face plate.

It's not the weight that's the advantage, it's the greater airflow to the rotor hat center and the improve cooling, that's the reason for removing the shields.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My brake dust shields are rusted and make noise when going over bumps, if I remove the front two brake dust shields will it melt the brake lines?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts