Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this why my nitrous solenoid wont close all the way now?

"1) Nitrous solenoids need to have Nitrous flowing through them to keep them from burning out. They can draw up to 20amps and will create lots of heat. Do not let them turn on without nitrous flowing through them for more than 10 seconds or the coils will melt and the fuse will blow. Do not turn them on for more than 30 seconds even if nitrous is flowing to keep them cool! If you cannot follow these guidelines email us and we can tell you how to avoid these issues. Do not mount the solenoids directly to the intake manifold or engine; it must be isolated from the heat. You must use at least 16 AWG wire! If the wires run a long ways use 14AWG wire! Do not use any toggle switches in line with the solenoid as they can melt due to the high current going through them. Nitrous Burns and Gasoline is flammable so be careful! And yes to your question, All Nitrous solenoids are designed this way because of the extreme nature of the application. Mount you solenoid in a cool temperature location! Extreme pressure will kill your solenoid seal so do not even open your bottle if it has been sitting in the sun!

2) Use 20 amp fuses and 30amp relays as needed."

I think it may have burned out on me because I've tried to squeeze when I didnt have any nitrous left... I didnt know I was out until I squeezed, but thats what happened.

Also, I've had my bottle open for hours at a time.

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
Technically speaking... what they are saying is right, but a little too extreme.

"Nitrous Burns" - Wrong
"Extreme pressure will kill your solenoid seal so do not even open your bottle if it has been sitting in the sun!" - True to a certain extent, but the solenoids can handle a great deal of pressure. The bottle being too hot won't kill it. The blow off tube will release before anything.
"Do not mount the solenoids directly to the intake manifold or engine; it must be isolated from the heat." - The engine can get hot, but the intake manifold and engine compartments aren't going to do much damage to the solenoids, as it doesn't get that hot. Mounting it on the exhaust manifold or somewhere near it? Yes. It's not good to get the solenoids too hot, but the solenoids are sturdy enough to handle some heat.
"Do not use any toggle switches in line with the solenoid as they can melt due to the high current going through them." - As long as it's fused, it's okay. Basically just like how a purge solenoid works. With an inline toggle switch.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks for breaking that down.

I had my kit re-wired w/ the relay and everything. The only problem is, when I open the bottle you can hear the leak. We've checked everything and have come to the conclusion that the solenoid is simply not closing all the way. When we open the bottle there is a small but steady flow of nitrous/air coming out of the fogger. The fuel sprays just fine, but there is no way the nitrous should make it all the way to the fogger on its own if the solenoid was fine.

<=== Needs a new solenoid now. How it failed? I havent the slightest clue.

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question:

I'm about to wire up my digital bottle pressure gauge.

The directions online say BROWN/BLUE/BLACK/WHITE wires

Checked it out and I have GREEN/WHITE/RED/BROWN wires:dontknow:

In your opinion, what would be the best 12v "switched" power source for a gauge?

·
Banned
16,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Congratulations on your purchase of the finest nitrous pressure gauge available.
Please read all the instructions and warnings so your gauge system will perform as designed for years of trouble free use. The purpose of the gauge is to monitor the Nitrous pressure in the system. This will help you tune for more consistent performance time after time, run after run!
Note: Always wear safety glasses when working on your car. Before you begin make sure that the bottle valve is closed and the main nitrous line is empty. Liquid nitrous can cause serious burns or frostbite if it sprays on your skin! If your not sure the line is empty, wear a glove and crack the line at the bottle and slowly let the Nitrous leak out of the lines.

Sending unit assembly installation:
1) Disconnect your feed line at the bottle.

2) Attach the sending unit assembly to the bottle and tighten. Do not over tighten.

3) Attach the Nitrous feed line to the other end of the sending unit assembly and tighten.

4) Attach the quick connect from the sender unit to the main wiring harness. Line up the arrows on

the connectors. If the connector may get wet, place a piece of electrical tape over the connector

seam.

5) Route the harness up to the power location, typically under the dash near the fuse box.

Mounting the Gauge:

6) Install the Gauge in a location that can be seen easily. Use the supplied hardware for mounting, the Velcro and or the right angle bracket work great. For Pod mount, squeeze tabs and release.

7) Route the wires on the Gauge to the power or fuse box location.

Wiring the system up:

8) Connect both the “BROWN” wires to a switched 12 volt power source.

9) Connect both the “BLUE” wires to a solid Ground.

10) Connect the “WHITE” wires together use a crimp to prevent shorts. Soldering is always preferred.

11) Connect the “BLACK” wires together use a crimp to prevent shorts. Soldering is always preferred.

Testing and using the Nitrous Pressure Gauge:

12) Turn the nitrous bottle on and check for leaks!

13) Turn the power on to the Nitrous Pressure Gauge, Purge the system (if you have one) to the same

Pressure time after time (usually 900PSI). Your ready to race!! Enjoy the consistency only available from DynoTune Nitrous Systems Pressure Gauge!

Note: Most Nitrous systems are designed to operate at 900-950PSI bottle pressure, excessive pressure can damage the sending unit or cause dangerous conditions so please keep that pressure in check!! Check your nitrous kits manufacturers guidelines before using your nitrous system. Note: The display will not read exactly zero when there is no pressure in the lines, this is normal!"

·
Murderator
13,398 Posts
WOOT

Turbo > Nitrous!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts