Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around and I haven't really found a decent answer for this question. Basically, I live in one of 7 counties in ohio that needs to have your vehicle emissions tested (echeck) every two years (it's just a obd2 reader self kiosk).

I'm in the middle of replacing the previous owners mistakes (carbon hood, leaking header, etc..) and so I figured I'd start with the header. I purchased a racing header without really thinking about it and looked back at it today and saw that it is a cat less system. My question is can I keep my catalytic converter and still use this header, or will that throw a CEL?

I'm receiving the header today in the mail, should I just replace it? This is the header I purchased.

http://www.carid.com/2004-honda-civic-si-exhaust-systems/skunk2-alpha-series-stainless-steel-race-headers-38815856.html

Also I guess it's worth metontioning that the car does already have a cat back exhaust system.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not readily because the stock cat would sit where the O2 sensors are in that one. You might be able to have a cat added after that, but it would depend if they do a visual check for one or not and if they care about placement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! I went ahead and returned the race header for now... Maybe in the future. Just received the DC sports 4-2-1 shorty. Planning on installing it tomorrow.

Sell me the hood if it's decent :)
Sorry it's not :(

No. Race header deletes the cat.

do you have a CEL with the leaky header?
I do have a CEL with the leaky header at the moment. I can't remember what the error code was exactly though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I went ahead and returned the race header for now... Maybe in the future. Just received the DC sports 4-2-1 shorty. Planning on installing it tomorrow.

Sorry it's not :(

I do have a CEL with the leaky header at the moment. I can't remember what the error code was exactly though.
What setup did you go with? Or did you even replace anything yet? I'm planning on replacing my entire exhaust system and am at a loss as to what I should I go with. I'm in NY and have to pass fucking emissions :sigh:

·
Sexual Panda
5 Posts
In order to trick the computer to pass emissions, you place a spacer in where the secondary o2 sensor goes, and then install the sensor in the spacer. By adding that extra air, it makes the reading different from the primary sensor and the computer is happy. I live in MD so we have to pass emissions too. Sucks the big one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What setup did you go with? Or did you even replace anything yet? I'm planning on replacing my entire exhaust system and am at a loss as to what I should I go with. I'm in NY and have to pass fucking emissions :sigh:
I ended up replacing the skunk2 race header with the DC Sports 4-2-1 Header

It's a pretty decent header, I have no complaints.

In order to trick the computer to pass emissions, you place a spacer in where the secondary o2 sensor goes, and then install the sensor in the spacer. By adding that extra air, it makes the reading different from the primary sensor and the computer is happy. I live in MD so we have to pass emissions too. Sucks the big one.
Wish I would've saw this before I returned the race header. Sounds like it's worth the attempt. Have you passed before using this method?

·
I'm not a dude
253 Posts
Yeah the spacer trick works, but only to trick the ECU. It would most likely fail a "sniffer" emissions test and definitely fail a visual inspection, unfortunately. Or fortunately, depending on what side you're on.

There's the shorty headers that you can use with a cat, but having researched them, they don't seem to be worth the money vs the shorty header that already comes on our cars. :dontknow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts