Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate exhaust, it's loud and yucky... But, i'm planning on getting the toda engine kit and alot of other NA goodies. I've been told that the race header is important but i dont want a damn aftermarket exhaust. I want to sell mine in fact. I want to run the na system with my stock exhaust. Do you think the race header would sound decent without an aftermarket exhaust? I'm hoping that it would be deeper perhaps but not insanely loud. You think it would turn raspy? thanks...

·
Because Racecar
1,994 Posts
it would be very loud and raspy, i would not go this route if you are looking for a low sound level.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think it would be man? i know the race header sounds a little raspy from the start, so i should have known... Thanks for the insite anyways. ;)

·
Because Racecar
1,994 Posts
i know it would be loud, just look at the thread started by hondawerks about the spoon 4-2-1 header. download the video and hear the sound level for yourself. however this is not stopping me in my quest for power because im going to be getting this header

·
Registered
109 Posts
A race header with the stock exhaust is not that loud, its just a little deeper.

·
Ur Post Count Means Nada!
4,510 Posts
Definately not as loud as with an aftermarket exhaust. We were all once at a restaurant and right before we left we were all chillin in a parking lot. One of my friends (who drives a Type S w/ CAI & JR Race header & stock ehxuast) had to leave. The merge onto the highway which the restaurant was on was a little further back from where we were standing so we could get a clear view and listen of her 1st and 2nd gear acceleration. Man oh man, this thing sounded mean and just amazing. Just so beautiful. If you want an exhaust that sounds very similar to stock, then the closest is the Mugen Twin Loop.
-Jalal

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how would you say it sounded? Is it loud and raspy or is it deep and crisp? (race header with stock exhaust). If it's raspy in the least, i dont want it. Also, did it drone at all? Thank you much :thumbsup:

·
Nobody knows but Jeebus..
14,888 Posts
Or an RS*R ExMag exhaust. Looks almost like stock and sounds like stock, just a bit deeper. Granted, I don't know what it sounds like with a JR Race Header.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
just so i know specifics.. would you say a car with a race header+stock exhaust is louder or quieter than say a car with no race header plus stock exhaust. because the fact is i have a comptech race header and with my tsudo exhaust its SUPER loud and i've already been written a ticket. but i never really had problems JUST with my exhaust until i got the header. i plan on using the stock exhaust and hopefully it will be quiet enough to not attract attention with the header. do you guys think i'll be fine?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran my TODA engine kit with a v quiet and restrictive exhaust (close to stock). The car did not perform well at all especially with the hondata reflash.
Overall i lost 20hp top-end and 30 lb ft in the mid range - all down to a restricitive exhaust.

YOU HAVE TO USE AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST!!!

Go for the Mugen one as I've heard it is reasonably quiet, or do what I did and get a custom 57mm i.d. custom titanium cat back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damnit.. i dont want an exhaust. What if i skip out on the race header and just get hondata and toda... same problem and probably worse right?

·
Ur Post Count Means Nada!
4,510 Posts
integratypeS said:
So how would you say it sounded? Is it loud and raspy or is it deep and crisp? (race header with stock exhaust). If it's raspy in the least, i dont want it. Also, did it drone at all? Thank you much :thumbsup:
I heard it that once, and it sounded amazing. I never rode in the car. It did not sound raspy at all when she was accelerating away at WOT. I cannot comment on the droning because that ususally happens at crusing speeds in like 4,5,6th gears at like 2-3krpm.
integratypeS said:
damnit.. i dont want an exhaust. What if i skip out on the race header and just get hondata and toda... same problem and probably worse right?
Toda got its numbers with thier Engine Kit with a CAI, Race Header and Exhaust along with their cams and valve springs. So if you skip out on the race header and exhaust, you will be giving your engine the choke hold. They are both a must to make really good numbers.
You could try a Jackson Racing Race Header with a High Flow Cat in place of the straight pipe with a custom bent exhaust with your choice of muffler. That might make your exhaust a little quieter and should be much better than the stock header. Dont mark my word though, i have not seen dyno numbers of that setup so i dont know how much better it will be and how the addition of a High Flow cat to that race header would effect it. Its all up to you to experiment. In the end sacrifices WILL be made.
-Jalal

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
anyone running with a spoonN1 with a race header? i wonder how that sounds

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i have a jr race header with stock bpipe and a spoon n1 axle back, sounds normal, but once u take that axle back away, it's hella loud.

Also ran it with a stock exhaust for awhile as well, it was really nice on the ears.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
azncowboy, the stock exhaust was good on the ears, but did you feel choked? Would it be a problem if i skipped on the exhaust? That's the major question. If i'm missing out on like 10 ponies and ** it's not raspy, it's not a problem. If we're talking 20+ just from exhaust then that's a negative. Thanks

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I have the comptech race header, and when I first installed it I also got 2.5inch mandrel bent custom stainless steel piping with an apexi n1 turbo muffler. That is straight through piping with a straight through muffler, it was very loud and I got 3exhaust tickets in 3months. So I toke off the apexi n1 muffler, and put the stock axle back on. So I have the comptech race header, 2.5inch piping (then an exhaust cut out for the track and dyno), then the stock axle back. It is fairly quiet, although you can tell that the exhaust system is not a factory part. You can tell it has been modified, but it is pretty quiet, you can only hear it when accelerating. Although it does get a little raspy between 3-4k, not a loud raspy, you just hear the parts of the stock muffler rattling.

If you want your car quiet I would definitely suggest the stock axle back, it holds back some of the power though. That is why I have the exhaust cut out for when I need power. :thumbsup:

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
I should be posting sound clips of a Comptech RH w/ stock exhaust, inside of the car and out, on Sunday. Monday or Tuesday, the Greddy SP2 goes on, and I'll take a couple other videos. IMHO, the Comtpech RH and stock exhaust isnt that loud, sounds good, and made some impressive butt dyno gains...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dallas, you are a savior, I would be EXTREMELY grateful. :D :thumbsup: :tonguegri

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
when i had my kakimoto exhaust on with the jr race header, i couldn't stand the sound, but it did red line very quickly, when i switched to the stock catback, it felt like the power was being held back, I'm looking into a mugen exhaust, but i'm not sure what it'll sound like.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed my Jackson Race Header before my exhaust and i could barely tell the difference. Maybe a little deeper but definatly not a bad thing

1 - 20 of 48 Posts