Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I replaced my radiator and AC condenser, while flushing the radiator, the fans were working properly, however after reinstalling, I can't get them to come on. Checked the fuses, they seem fine. I used the paperclip method on the radiator Fan switch and they both started right up, but they won't turn on naturally, also won't turn on with AC running. Also the temp gauge on the dash reads accurately until its up to temp, but only shows its up to temp as it overheats. I've been researching but still really don't know where to go from here. More help from you amazing people maybe?

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you massage the top hose and have the front end lifted when you bled the coolant?
I definitely massaged all the air pockets out of the upper radiator hose, fairly sure I had it on jack stands in the front when I was bleeding it but I could try again to be certain. I'm pretty sure I got 1.2-1.3 gallons in there which I've read is how much it takes. Ran it by some buddies and they seem as befuddled as I am. From what I understand I will need to have the AC system recharged before the condenser fan will come on but it still doesn't explain why they won't come on when up to temp, or why the temp gauge won't show that it's overheating, particularly since everything worked when I took it apart.

(Venting) This is incredibly frustrating and I'm getting to the point where I'm just gonna take it to a shop and tell them the story and have them figure it out. I bought this car so I had something to learn how to work on cars on and this is the first time a job on this car has been such a headache. Been at it for 3 days and probably over 20 labor hours now.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Give it another try before you take her to the shop. Make sure to set the climate control to hot as well. I bled mine for at least 10 minutes just a few weeks ago. The temp gauge isn’t always a good indicator. Touch the outside of the head next time it shows it’s hot.

If the coolant is circulating, you should feel the lower hose slowly getting warm.

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so just to confirm. Jack stands in the front, radiator cap open, engine on and top up as necessary through the radiator cap. Massage upper radiator tube and feel for warm coolant on the lower radiator hose. How do I know it's been properly bled if the fans don't come on?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, to all of that but don't forget about the climate controls. When you lift it, make sure to go high enough that the rad fill neck is the highest point in the cooling system. Continue to massage the top hose even if you don't see bubbles. I actually leave my funnel sitting in the rad with a little extra coolant just to be sure, and I just clean up the mess afterwards. You can open up the throttle a bit to help speed up the process, I usually don't go any higher than 2000 rpms.

If the fans don't come on, you probably still have air stuck in there. If it's not air, my next guess would be that you forgot to plug in the fan switch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, to all of that but don't forget about the climate controls. When you lift it, make sure to go high enough that the rad fill neck is the highest point in the cooling system. Continue to massage the top hose even if you don't see bubbles. I actually leave my funnel sitting in the rad with a little extra coolant just to be sure, and I just clean up the mess afterwards. You can open up the throttle a bit to help speed up the process, I usually don't go any higher than 2000 rpms.

If the fans don't come on, you probably still have air stuck in there. If it's not air, my next guess would be that you forgot to plug in the fan switch.
Thermostat go bad out of no where? How many miles? I'd also get the temp gage working if not for the sake of it. Probably the sensor but I'd run everything down in order. It's all important, no?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thermostat go bad out of no where? How many miles? I'd also get the temp gage working if not for the sake of it. Probably the sensor but I'd run everything down in order. It's all important, no?
Temp gauge is probably working, but it’ll show hot even if the coolant isn’t making contact with it. The temp starts climbing too quickly to be accurate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Temp gauge is probably working, but it’ll show hot even if the coolant isn’t making contact with it. The temp starts climbing too quickly to be accurate.
Your probably right. He also seems to be doing the right things? I just wondered if the thermostat stuck from the get go he should be able to see water flowing through the radiator as it opens? I remember when they first came out with "closed cooling" in grand am's and what not. They were a bitch and often had to be pressure bleed. Nothing else seemed to work. Keep up the good work agent 17. I haven't been much help here lately, to busy sweating what would seem to be a HUGE tax liability!

·
Registered
40 Posts
It could be the a/c like you said try recharging you’re a/c both high and low because I know there needs to be pressure in the a/c system for your fans to turn on also check fuses under the dash and check your relay under the hood try swapping them out when your car is warm to see if they turn on I have this same issue right now but it was fixed from the a/c pressure

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a sensor on the lower part passenger side that reads the temperature of the coolant in the radiator test and if bad replace just had to do mine a couple of months ago mishimoto gave me a defective one. You can boil water and test it with a ohm meter once the water starts to boil all is in the service manual on this site. That sensor tells the fans to kick on but yes you should have freon in your ac first to eliminate that problem from the list of possible causes.

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I spent some hours trying to bleed it. Would do the steps up until the car was gonna overheat, then let it cool down. Didn't feel like the temp sensor had gone bad since it worked great when I took it apart. Ended up taking it to a shop and they pressure bled it and now they turn on right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok so I spent some hours trying to bleed it. Would do the steps up until the car was gonna overheat, then let it cool down. Didn't feel like the temp sensor had gone bad since it worked great when I took it apart. Ended up taking it to a shop and they pressure bled it and now they turn on right.
Glad you worked it out. I was fortunate enough to work at a shop that had a pressure bleeder. more often than not it was the only way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently just bought a rsx 2002 base model k20a3, dude told me he was building it and had bad gf that beat his shit up, dude said he got a new motor (same type), new throttle body, new ac compresser but fans don’t turn on. Bought it off of dude noticed fan on driver side was spliced and the Rad/FanSwitch sensor wasn’t connected, bought fans and connected everything and the car still heats up and only the passenger Side fan stays on the driver side kicks on a few times “ when the car is hot” also noticed the the radiator that’s on there isn’t for the car as well, but my car still heats up. Got frustrated and called a mechanic he looked at the car and said the radiator isn’t the one for the car but it can still be used and he also said the car is in great shape and everything’s good, he saw that the clamp of the radiator hose wasn’t tight on the radiator top side and we had the car on for about 20-30mins it was all good and I even told him to drive it (manual trans), we drove around my apartments where there’s a lot of speed bumps so he was stuck back and forth on 1st and 2nd gear , but by driving it he said the car is great and it’s a great purchase I’ve done. Parked the car, next morning woke up decided to drive the first time put gas in it then drove around the block and the car heated up idk what to do or what’s going on the engine has no leaks , I did a compression test and results were 150psi on all 4 and I did oil change, and nothing is working car is still hot what do I do? Should I get a new radiator and if that will solve my issue I then ask is type S radiator compatible to fit in a base model?? Because I’m under a situation and that’s the only one I can afford and get 🤦🏾‍♂️🥺 but let me know so I won’t even bother wasting money

·
Registered
308 Posts
I recently just bought a rsx 2002 base model k20a3, dude told me he was building it and had bad gf that beat his shit up, dude said he got a new motor (same type), new throttle body, new ac compresser but fans don’t turn on. Bought it off of dude noticed fan on driver side was spliced and the Rad/FanSwitch sensor wasn’t connected, bought fans and connected everything and the car still heats up and only the passenger Side fan stays on the driver side kicks on a few times “ when the car is hot” also noticed the the radiator that’s on there isn’t for the car as well, but my car still heats up. Got frustrated and called a mechanic he looked at the car and said the radiator isn’t the one for the car but it can still be used and he also said the car is in great shape and everything’s good, he saw that the clamp of the radiator hose wasn’t tight on the radiator top side and we had the car on for about 20-30mins it was all good and I even told him to drive it (manual trans), we drove around my apartments where there’s a lot of speed bumps so he was stuck back and forth on 1st and 2nd gear , but by driving it he said the car is great and it’s a great purchase I’ve done. Parked the car, next morning woke up decided to drive the first time put gas in it then drove around the block and the car heated up idk what to do or what’s going on the engine has no leaks , I did a compression test and results were 150psi on all 4 and I did oil change, and nothing is working car is still hot what do I do? Should I get a new radiator and if that will solve my issue I then ask is type S radiator compatible to fit in a base model?? Because I’m under a situation and that’s the only one I can afford and get 🤦🏾‍♂️🥺 but let me know so I won’t even bother wasting money
Check your thermostat and bleed it. Whatever radiator you got? IDK. Put the A/C on as soon as you do the fans should kick on. If they don't? Sensors, wiring, ALL OF THE ABOVE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts