Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i was driving to get my cam spring installed the other day, and all of the sudden weird things started happening in my car. First thing i saw was my ABS light started flickering on and off, and i thought nothing of it. So i was like humm okay... Then my raido cut out i was like hummm interesting.. then my gauges died and i was like okay this aint good. lol. so i turned off everything on my car (fans, Ac and radio) only i put the radio to voltage metter so i could see how many volts my car was seeing. And it was showing 9v's i was like crap ... my alternator??? well i slowed down and it went back to 13.6vs *with in spec for charging* and then i took it into a shop and now were diagnosing it, and so far it says update the ECM with the newest flash... So i was thinking has my ECU gone bad?

Im running a hondata k-pro. But im also thinking it could still be my alternator. My voltage has been varing since that day, so im thinking along the lines of my voltage regulator. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
well the voltage regulator is built into the alternator on most modern cars now a days, its either a faulty alternator or a wiring problem somewhere...the gauges dying and lights flickering says to me that its an alternator, how many miles on the car?

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the voltage regulator is built into the alternator on most modern cars now a days, its either a faulty alternator or a wiring problem somewhere...the gauges dying and lights flickering says to me that its an alternator, how many miles on the car?
I just dont know about the wiring problem, considering its ran find for the past year. lol

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
well a wire could have rubbed against something and wore thru and maybe just touching something back and forth touching then not touching its worth looking

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
maybe a cop shot your car with one of those tri-point things from 2F2F and the third one was only kinda grounding, j/k

alternator related 95% guess, 5% says your positive terminal connection is loose and is getting a poor connection

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope not the positive terminal.. i went threw 2 battery's today getting home. and when i start the car and pull the pos or neg the car dies.. so i have no charging system at the moment. Which means A) my alternator is dead, B) like blue j said loose wire.. im going to investigate on thursday or sunday when i have some time!

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
nope not the positive terminal.. i went threw 2 battery's today getting home. and when i start the car and pull the pos or neg the car dies.. so i have no charging system at the moment. Which means A) my alternator is dead, B) like blue j said loose wire.. im going to investigate on thursday or sunday when i have some time!
I know autozone's check alternators for free if you can either get the car there or the alternator there

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
my sister had that same problem on her 96 civic and it ended up being wiring after going thru 2 alternators lol id check wiring first since thats free to fix then check into the alternator i do believe its built in

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah ive been looking at all that, but i got the alternator ordered just incase cause if i dont need it i can return it no biggie.. But im going to have to pull my radiator, bumper and headlight to get to my alternator. Its kind of hard to get to under a supercharger in my civic lol.

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
Can anyone show me what an ELD *electronic load detector* is?
It's a clamp-on style current meter that measures overall electrical load--that is, current that flows through the ignition switch. The ECU/PCM monitors both voltage and current to regulate alternator output. The ELD is in the under-hood fuse box.

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a clamp-on style current meter that measures overall electrical load--that is, current that flows through the ignition switch. The ECU/PCM monitors both voltage and current to regulate alternator output. The ELD is in the under-hood fuse box.
so if that goes bad i have to replace that fuse box?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.