Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I did some searching and I think I found the problem but I figured Id post anyway. I just had an Apexi WSII installed and now something rattles around 2800 RPM. I have a hunch it's the heat shield and I'm contemplating just removing it, but I'm not sure if it is ok to do that or if it can cause any damage? thanks.

· i aint even mad!
3,152 Posts
Whats up guys, I did some searching and I think I found the problem but I figured Id post anyway. I just had an Apexi WSII installed and now something rattles around 2800 RPM. I have a hunch it's the heat shield and I'm contemplating just removing it, but I'm not sure if it is ok to do that or if it can cause any damage? thanks.
which heat shield? the header or cat?

· Old School
2,721 Posts
theres another shield that rattles. it's coming from the intermediate shaft heatshield... it's the black thing covering the axle... you will see if near the rear engine mount... if u go under you will seee it.. it has two bolts i believe... one on each side of the axle... front/back... its not hard at all to take it off. it's the material they used ... anyway. i took mine off and no more rattle. im not sure if theres a picture on here, but if u look underneath the car. you will see it. it's a black metal shield...

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the fast replies... It is the cat heat shield that I believe is rattling. so you guys suggest removing it? and there is no damage that can potentially occur? I cant stand the rattle makes my car sound crappy.

· Fishies are so delicious
1,277 Posts
thanks for the fast replies... It is the cat heat shield that I believe is rattling. so you guys suggest removing it? and there is no damage that can potentially occur? I cant stand the rattle makes my car sound crappy.
I have the same issue, and believe it is the cat heat shield..there are other threads on this issue and several people have said that there is the potential to damage some wiring if you remove the cats heat shield.

Just FYI

· i aint even mad!
3,152 Posts
theres another shield that rattles. it's coming from the intermediate shaft heatshield... it's the black thing covering the axle... you will see if near the rear engine mount... if u go under you will seee it.. it has two bolts i believe... one on each side of the axle... front/back... its not hard at all to take it off. it's the material they used ... anyway. i took mine off and no more rattle. im not sure if theres a picture on here, but if u look underneath the car. you will see it. it's a black metal shield...
is it safe to remove this heat shield? any pictures available?

· Registered
2,011 Posts
how hard is it to get rid of the shield? do you have to pull the axle or can you reach it without moving anything?

what about adjusting the heat shield so it doesn't make the noise?

thanks for any info you have

*got that problem and its annoying everytime my car gets to about 1200 rpm it rattles*

· Fishies are so delicious
1,277 Posts
how hard is it to get rid of the shield? do you have to pull the axle or can you reach it without moving anything?

what about adjusting the heat shield so it doesn't make the noise?

thanks for any info you have

*got that problem and its annoying everytime my car gets to about 1200 rpm it rattles*
I went under the car with the intentions of taking the shield off. But decided to check and see if I could tighten them and maybe that would solve it. I got MAYBE a half turn out of both bolts..but sure enough rattle is gone just after that little bit of tightening. I would suggest trying this before removing it entirely.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
I went under the car with the intentions of taking the shield off. But decided to check and see if I could tighten them and maybe that would solve it. I got MAYBE a half turn out of both bolts..but sure enough rattle is gone just after that little bit of tightening. I would suggest trying this before removing it entirely.
okay thanks

what sizes were the bolts? 10mm?

· Registered
76 Posts
I have had a rattling noise at about the same rpm range. I found out it was a black shield the covers the center of the front axle that is bolted with three bolts. I do not think it is a heat shield because it doesn't protect against from any heat source. It may be a guard but looks to me to have no purpose. Anyway, my car no longer has a rattle. It takes a 11mm socket to remove, and little room to unbolt, but can be done by jacking the front end up and slide underneath the car from the front. One of the mount holes has steel wool like bushings and was broke and had a lot of play, the others were solid. Tightening did not fix the problem due to the way the shield is designed. Thinking about gluing to make solid again, but shield is rusted. May not be worth it to put it back on. The shield has annoyed me for over a year.

· [Insert Title]
2,871 Posts
its either the halfshaft heatshield OR cat shield... My rattling was cause by the halfshaft heatshield which is a black piece of plate located behind the spring bolt that connects the cat and header together.

I torque down the loose bolt and it went away but the bolt became loose again. So i took a vibra-mount and used it as a spacer.... problem solved

8 Posts
Ok so I know its been awhile with this thread but I have this rattle and when i looked, the bottom mount for the halfshaft heatsheild was snapped off and was just spinning down there. Needless to say i can't torque them down unless I weld it back on. Would anyone on here be willing to weld it for me? haha and in the mean time is it safe to just take that heat shield off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.