Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The noise happens when between 1700-1900 rpms, only when I hit the accelerator. My catalytic converter does sound like it has a marble in it if I hit it while working under the car so maybe that's it? But weird it would be at certain intervals of load. Tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus LS430
6 Posts
The noise happens when between 1700-1900 rpms, only when I hit the accelerator. My catalytic converter does sound like it has a marble in it if I hit it while working under the car so maybe that's it? But weird it would be at certain intervals of load. Tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.
Usually the first tell of a bad cat is the smell of sulfur while on the gas a lot. Does it sound more like its the exhaust or suspension ? Could be a motor or tranny mount as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually the first tell of a bad cat is the smell of sulfur while on the gas a lot. Does it sound more like its the exhaust or suspension ? Could be a motor or tranny mount as well.
All the motor mounts I replaced, pulleys, fluids, most of the suspension. So really I'm unsure but I'll keep an eye out on the smell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
check the heatshield over the half shaft. Some people remove the shield, but I wanted to keep mine. I took a dremel to cut out the loose bushings (be sure not to cut more than needed) was able to tighten down the shield with no rattle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the heatshield over the half shaft. Some people remove the shield, but I wanted to keep mine. I took a dremel to cut out the loose bushings (be sure not to cut more than needed) was able to tighten down the shield with no rattle.
I've looked and it's gone so I'm kind of lost still. Could be the bottom part of the radiator support which is notorious for rusting out. The 10mm is missing but there is no hole since it snapped off in there. Any idea what's used to hold that in place?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've looked and it's gone so I'm kind of lost still. Could be the bottom part of the radiator support which is notorious for rusting out. The 10mm is missing but there is no hole since it snapped off in there. Any idea what's used to hold that in place?
you did say your cat converter makes a rattle sound, there's only so much you can test with that when it's mounted. I'd start there since your half shaft shield is gone. Also, your header shield could be loose

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you did say your cat converter makes a rattle sound, there's only so much you can test with that when it's mounted. I'd start there since your half shaft shield is gone. Also, your header shield could be loose
No header shield either but I'll start with the cat. Whatever shields are left on the car are tight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts