Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys wanted to share this here because it might have to do with the transmission maybe? :dontknow: Well im experiencing a clanking loud sound like is coming from under my steering wheel area and center column were I shift the car. the car starts fine and I don't think my tranny is blown but again it only make noise when I accelerate forward and reverse. it sounds like it maybe a loose gear or something perhaps the differential? I refuse to drive the car now because Im worried about will it break and money to put in. any thoughts...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me rewind a bit about the car. The car has 54xxx miles 2nd owner. The car was prepared for Track & AutoX use primarily and believed the first owner tracked the shit of her lol. There I've said the car is pretty much used hard. Anyways When bought in May the car was checked for maintenance. Car was great and drove it regularly (no autox yet, planning soon 2015) all year long until now :( that clunking sound started. Could be the suspension system from what I'm describing above. Again idk..

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
Are you sure that isn't just the side of your flywheel? Those teeth are what the starter gear turns, which is not within the sealed part of the transmission. I don't know if that's what would make your clunkinng, unless you're saying the flywheel is loose and created that hole?? :noes:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know that. That is the flywheel Now that I inspected it it doesn't seem to mean much. But the clunking sound is coming from the diff
When the axles are turning. It's a simple crack. Doesn't affect anything. It might have been there a while now looks abused.
But the diff is having problems.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took couple of pictures of the transmission this morning when my friend (member here) and I inspected. Z1 Case looks good tho.

The clunking sound is coming from my diff when the axles are turning. Is that normal? ?

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
whaaaaaaa... How is / why is that FD straddling that strength member of the casing? Maybe I know nothing about FD's :p. Anyways, glad to hear that was all! Gonna try a 5.0FD now?! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whaaaaaaa... How is / why is that FD straddling that strength member of the casing? Maybe I know nothing about FD's :p. Anyways, glad to hear that was all! Gonna try a 5.0FD now?! :thumbsup:
:dontknow: maybe its the way I drive lol. Ill go with stock FD (4.3) its within my budget and still good for track

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
What do you mean, yours did? 02-04 is 4.3, 05-06 is 4.7, and Type R is 5.0
A 5.0 would probably give you worse gas mileage, on the freeway at least, but it would be more fun. Anyways, enjoy whatever you choose :]

·
Registered
33 Posts
with the new final drive installed, everything is good while driving? some experience an echo sound like while driving the car after replacing the FD and trans fluids. share with us....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when I drove the car for about 60miles with new FD, yeah was making a funny sound like echo around the tranny area. I ignored the sound for two months with high stereo on lol. I took the car back to the shop a week ago to see why its making that sound and for a tranny flush work. while the trans is out, mite as well install a new stage 4 clutch :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does this echo sound change in pitch with rpm? I had not heard of this till now
After a friend installed the clutch and putting everything back to the car I drove the car around a bit for the clutch to break in but that echo sound continues but I don't think its as loud. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.